Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Troubleshooting AX2 Sound Issue

excoriator

Hi,

With all this time on my hands, I'm trying to bring my ax2 from high school back to life. I have a basic understanding of electronics and I feel comfortable soldering but by no means am I an expert.

Issue After playing my guitar through the amp for about 5-10 minutes, the sound starts to crackly and pop, dropping intermittently in volume. In general, shutting it off and starting back up seems to bring it back to a working state.

Theory: I'm guessing possibly an issue with the LM3886TF amps. Since it seems to take time, after it's been running for a bit, it could be heat related. When I opened up the amp, I could tell that the heat goop had been replaced/applied in a sloppy way. The Serial number is EI4xxxx so I think it's one of the later models that doesn't have an issue with the transformer. 

Since there are two large circuit boards inside the AX2, is there a way to isolation the one with the amplifiers for testing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Corey

• 4 months later...