Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects wiring

Agamemnon5

I am going to purchase an HX effects but unsure of the wiring. I want the option to use analogue pedals too. I mostly want to use effects after the preamp, chorus, reverb,delay etc I have heard the HX doesn't like pedals running in to it. How should i set it up? Right now i just want to have an OD pedal. Is it either

Guitar into Pedal into amp input

Send of amp to return of hx
Send of hx to return amplifier

Guitar to pedal to HX Effects Input

HX Effects Send Loop 1 to Amp Main Input

Amp FX Send Loop to HX Effects Return Loop 1

HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp FX Return Loop

Guitar to HX Effects Input

HX Effects Send Loop 1 to pedal  Amp Main Input

Amp FX Send Loop to HX Effects Return Loop 1

HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp FX Return Loop

Thanks

6 hours ago, zappazapper said:

Guitar > helix input

Helix send 1 (set to "instrument") > pedal input

Pedal output > helix return 1 (set to "line")

Helix send 2 (set to "instrument") > amp input

Amp FX send > helix return 2 (set to "line")

Helix output (set to "line") > amp FX return

Have you personally tried this? does this setup cause any noise issues? i have heard many posts about loops, pedals and noise issues.

Thanks

I've not used a pedal in the loop. I use 4 cable method, which puts my amp's preamp in the loop, just like above, except without a pedal in the second loop. The main issue with running anything in the loop is whether it expects line or instrument level signal at its input. A preamp obviously expects instrument level but I suppose some pedals could expect instrument level and some line level, so you might want to play around with the helix send 2 setting. Personally I use a reamp box and the line setting on the Helix instead of the instrument setting, because I'm not sure that the Helix is also raising the impedance on the instrument setting. I just seem to get better results with the reamp box. But this setup is going to give you the most flexibility and control, as you'll be able to engage or disengage either loop using presets, footswitches, snapshots, etc., instead of having to press the switch on the pedal, not to mention that you can adjust the send level of the loops to tailor the amount of distortion you want from the preamp and/or pedal, if it's a drive pedal. If it's a pitch or time based effect you can adjust the mix amount.