Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp, any advice for a natural sounding reverb

jprykiel

Hi,
Visually impaired keyboardist from Paris France, Discovering HX stomp, I love everything about it except reverbs. I haven't been able to find something that sounds like a natural space, not springy, not necessarily huge, but just what you would expect from a room whole or plate. Available algorithms always have a strange sounding tail, especially when playing chords, it's hard to define. I have heard that combining reverbs would do the trick, but would anyone share his experience in this matter, which ones, serial or parallel? And does anyone know if Line 6 plans to add more reverbs in the future, I wouldn't mind having a really rich one even if it's DSP demanding and would require several blocks.
Thanks for your help, regards,
Jean-Philippe

Hi, a couple important bits of advice which you might already know:

(1) If you want to simulate a room, you want the reverb to be stereo, and probably right at the end of your signal chain. Note that most Helix blocks have stereo and mono versions. If you put a mono block after a stereo reverb, it will collapse the reverb to mono too and make it sound a lot less spacious--so avoid doing that.

(2) If you haven't already found them, look in the "Legacy" category of reverbs. (There are three categories: stereo, mono, and legacy. Almost all of the legacy reverbs are stereo. Confusing, I know.) Try putting something like the room reverb from the Legacy category right at the end of your chain. Set the mix to around 40% and pull the pre-delay and decay down to very low values. Experiment with those three parameters to get an idea of the tonal options.

(3) Try some of the other legacy category reverbs too. If you want to simulate bigger spaces with more stereo width, Tile does a good job, as does a number of the others.

Maybe I just don't have the ears for it but I don't really understand what people find lacking in most of the reverbs. By picking the right one and adjusting the mix, decay, and pre-delay, you can get a wide variety of reverb sounds and nice stereo imaging.

Hi QWERTY. Well, could be that these reverbs have mostly been designed for guitars, and I am trying to use them with keyboards. Surprisingly, the best sound I'm getting is from the cave algorithm. I'm going to try combining several of them, I only use stereo ones of course. They all start nicely, but tales sound weird.
I hope they can come up with something more keyboard orientated maybe.

Cheers,
JPR