Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Whats The Best Way To Mic This Amp?

stevenah

I like the guys, and I liked the video, but why did they have to play that crap? When demoing, they should play a little of a few kinds of music, not just bang the shred metal all day. And play something we know, not original stuff. I need familiarity to compare not a race down the fretboard at max distortion...

end of rant...

the purposefully play originals, because of copyright issues...

they've said as much in a few of their videos.

I like the guys, and I liked the video, but why did they have to play that crap? When demoing, they should play a little of a few kinds of music, not just bang the shred metal all day. And play something we know, not original stuff. I need familiarity to compare not a race down the fretboard at max distortion...

end of rant...

I don't think its that....

i think for the amplifi for example where they wanted to tone match... they'd have to call up the actual recording etc...

that's the line they don't cross...

but they are working musicians... and that's their style...

it is what it is...

i've seen them do other bits here and there... but its just not their thing.

A few chords and a lead line will violate copyright? Did they change the rules? If so, then noodle "in the style of" somebody besides a metal guy...

check out the andertons review video - they use 3 mics for both stereo sides and the main guitar speaker.  you could get away with 2 for mono, or 1 may be fine if you have the right type of mic.

I am no expert, but if you look at Premier Guitars NAMM coverage, they only seem to use one mic, and pretty closely placed as well.

Yeah, like archtopeddy said, I think you can get away with one mic. The only reason you would need three is if you wanted to capture a stereo field, but in most cases that's not really necessary for guitar tracks. If you wanted to try to get some more of the upper end, you could probably mic the woofer on it's own and one of the tweeters. I'd probably use a dynamic mic like the SM57 or Sennheiser E609 for the woofer and then a condenser for the tweeter. You have to be careful of phasing issues when doing this, though.

I'm using 3 mics, a Senn MD421 II, a CAD TSM411, and a Senn e835.  One on the woofer, one lower left, and one about a foot away at the upper right.

I tried the DI, and while it sounds good and is convenient, it doesn't capture the natural ambience and other intricacies that a quality mic can provide.

Glad to see there are people sharing their experiences with the Amplifi. What is the main reason to avoid using the headphone out as a DI option? I go back and forth between bowed instruments and electric guitars and often use my current rig in a DI setting. Does it clip the signal or affect the sound horribly? I'm not too familiar with amplifiers and usually go direct. Not having a dedicated DI is the only thing preventing me from purchasing this amp.

Glad to see there are people sharing their experiences with the Amplifi. What is the main reason to avoid using the headphone out as a DI option? I go back and forth between bowed instruments and electric guitars and often use my current rig in a DI setting. Does it clip the signal or affect the sound horribly? I'm not too familiar with amplifiers and usually go direct. Not having a dedicated DI is the only thing preventing me from purchasing this amp.

The headphone out mutes the speakers. So if we're talking about a live situation, it kind of seems silly to lug an amp around if you aren't actually going to be using the speakers. Might as well get a POD at that point.

It would be nice if there were an option that allowed you to select whether or not the speakers remained active or not while the headphone jack was in use, but unfortunately there's not. I kind of doubt it's something that can be added with a firmware update. I imagine it's an actual relay that's controlling that behavior.

The headphone out mutes the speakers. So if we're talking about a live situation, it kind of seems silly to lug an amp around if you aren't actually going to be using the speakers. Might as well get a POD at that point.

It would be nice if there were an option that allowed you to select whether or not the speakers remained active or not while the headphone jack was in use, but unfortunately there's not. I kind of doubt it's something that can be added with a firmware update. I imagine it's an actual relay that's controlling that behavior.

Understood. Thanks, Phil! 

When playing the guitar through the amplifier the only speaker that seems active to me is the large middle one. I tried making with three Mike's and then with just one for the Sennheiser. The Sennheiser in the middle was the best by far sister didn't seem to be any sound coming from the other speakers when you play music from iPod then the others react.

Ideally the usb port should allow you to stream the effected guitar sound out digitally. This makes way more sense than miking the amp in any recording situation. The speaker part of the amp is supposed to be clean non-coloring hi-fidelity stereo output. the tone coloring is coming from the amp modeling software and associated effects.