Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DIY Playing backing tracks with Helix / HX Stomp via Bluetooth

timurrrr

Hi folks,

I bought an HX Stomp the other day.

One thing I don't like about my setup is that the iPad I use for backing tracks needs to be connected to the HX with a cable (whether USB or 1/4" jacks).

Since it's already 2020, I can't help but wonder how much more convenient it would be to use Bluetooth. For example, Yamaha THR-II supports that.

Then I realized I have an unused Raspberry Pi, and I can try using it as basically a Bluetooth-to-USB-to-HX receiver.  

I know Raspberry Pi is popular among folks who build DIY home audio systems, including Hi-End ones, so figured it can handle the task.

I don't mind more cables connected to the HX Stomp, but I don't want to have a cable connected to the iPad, as there's always the risk of pulling that cable and dropping the iPad on the floor.

However, turns out the Raspberry Pi can't play audio through HX Stomp via USB — I just can't hear any sound when I choose "HX Stomp" as the output device.

I found an article on Raspberry Pi forum on how to patch the Linux kernel [nerd alert!] to work with Line 6 products.

After spending a few hours setting up my Raspberry Pi, recompiling the kernel, etc., sadly I have to report that it didn't help.

Looking at the configs and the source code of the kernel modules, it appears that it only supports some models of the POD HD era, and not the Helix family.

Adding support for a new family of devices goes well beyond my knowledge of Linux, and beyond how much time I'm willing to spend on this project if I work on this alone.

I hope this post will attract attention of someone who's more skilled in Linux than I am, and will find my idea and findings useful.

Or maybe even someone at Line 6 will see that it's a cool idea to add Bluetooth and/or will implement the required kernel modules? Who am I kidding...

Line 6 developed mobile apps and a Bluetooth/wifi capability in their Amplifi/Firehawk series of products several years ago. They are still available new and there’s now a used market for them. If mobility and Bluetooth are critical features for you then consider those products. Of course, they are iOS and Android apps; Linux is not supported. I guess you’re used to that.

It’s highly unlikely that a Bluetooth capability will be added to the Helix products. However I expect there’s already a suggestion for that on Ideascale. Vote it up or add it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the helix rack, and it works with newer kernels thanks to the poster of the thread below.

https://line6.com/support/topic/52539-need-linux-users-with-helix-helix-lt-helix-rack-helix-something/?tab=comments#comment-316698

As for backing tracks, maybe running a DAW on the raspberry pi (reaper has a pi installer) and there are tutorials on ways to remote control it wirelessly via OSC 

Well, I have one of these very cheap BT receiver that works just fine with everything that has an analogic input available. You have just to plug two RCA to Jack cables into a stereo Return in the Helix, and load a Return Block at the end of the path.

CFAF012B-BEF0-4008-9648-B3E71923F6AD.jpeg.8aa1013d4c4285dd9aced29266e81297.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skalamanga said:

I have the helix rack, and it works with newer kernels thanks to the poster of the thread below.

https://line6.com/support/topic/52539-need-linux-users-with-helix-helix-lt-helix-rack-helix-something/?tab=comments#comment-316698

Awesome, thanks for finding this!

I'll give it a try when I have more time to tinker with this.

1 hour ago, PierM said:

Well, I have one of these very cheap BT receiver that works just fine with everything that has an analogic input available. You have just to plug two RCA to Jack cables into a stereo Return in the Helix, and load a Return Block at the end of the path.

Sure, that would work; but there are downsides:

• I won't be able to use the Send/Return anymore.
  • That would also add an unnecessary DAC-ADC conversion.
  • One USB-B cable going straight up is tidier than two 1/4" jacks going right :)