Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.0—"THE ALONG CAME POLY UPDATE"

Digital_Igloo

On 11/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, donkelley said:

That's incredibly rude.  They JUST released this firmware.  There are ALWAYS bugs in new software/firmware releases - it's impossible for there not to be since customers always do things that are slightly different/unique from what the QA teams and developers test, no matter how thorough and rigorous their testing is.

Give them a GOOD length of time to assemble and finalize a list of bugs with highest priority/shortest release time and then to actually solve the bugs, test all bug fixes. retest EVERYTHING since most bug fixes touch on code outside of just the single item being fixed, and then deploy it.

Bug fix releases typically take a long while to come out, and they can't fix everything in every situation, specially so if they can't reproduce it.

Also - please submit your bug on official channels since it's possible you are the only person who has encountered it so far... and certainly you'll be one of the first.  It could even be the position of your acoustic sim pedal in the virtual pedalchain, such as before a compressor or whatever (just an example, not saying that is it or that a compressor would cause the problem).

What's incredibly rude about a comprehensive post explaining preexisting issues?  Your post is incredibly rude, dude. 

35 minutes ago, theElevators said:

What's incredibly rude about a comprehensive post explaining preexisting issues?  Your post is incredibly rude, dude. 

Sorry if it came across that way.  We're in a thread about 3.0 firmware. You described something that sounded like a new issue.  I quoted the line that I thought was rude.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry, as I said.  Please clarify.

To the user group as a whole. (A small rant)

The intent of this group is to help each other. Sarcastic, inflated, offhanded comment do not help anyone. I've been a member of the line 6 forum for 13 years. I stopped using it for years because of this problem and because of just a few people. Now that I've purchased the Helix floor, I've been using the forum again. The Helix, to my admission it is very powerful and can be confusing and I needed guidance. We all have question and get confused by the equipment, processes, and programs. Some of us have more experience with PC, some with other skills.

So if someone asks a question that has already been asked (or we think is stupid)  then politely point them to the correct thread. I teach Mainframe Security for a living and the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. If they are confused about something help them in a nice way. Trashing and trashing is not helping anyone. Some people learn by reading, some by seeing and doing. Some lucky few can do both.

As much as I like Line 6, we paid for the hardware and software. We should expect Line 6 to fix problems when we discovered and reported by proper means. We also have to understand Line 6 has to collect, research, test, prioritized, correct, and build a new modification release. If the software release for the Helix was crashing, Line 6 would be freaking out to create a fix. So we have to have a little patients.  

Also Line 6 does use these sites to their benefit. This reduces the need for Line 6 to staff their help desk.

Software can and does have problem. The number of defects after a software release reflects on the degree of testing done before being released. Also a very important point, there are so many ways to use and stress the Helix as per hardware / operating software. Due to this versatility, we can and do create new creative ways to create bugs.

In some ways we're spoiled. In the old days we had had 5 stop boxes if you were lucky and rich. Vol, Compress/Distortion, Flanger, Chorus, Delay/Reverb. We spent more time playing the instrument. Now our processors are so powerful and many of us are geeks we seem to be spending more time playing our processors. 

(one thing to remember is "everyone has an A$$, but you don't have to be one"

Have fun, Playing, tweaking, do both, be nice and help each other out.

Happy holidays and stay safe.

• Upvote 8

On 11/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, hx2011A said:

If I connect the headphones directly to the Stomp there are no problems and everything sounds great. There is something with the Scarlet

I think maybe you have direct monitoring selected on the scarlet, so you are hearing the dry guitar signal as well as the helix signal.? 

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, hx2011A said:

Hi, I'm trying out the new Poly Capo feature hoping it can replace my DigiTech Drop, but it looks awful to me. Even if it's the only thing in the chain. If I try to play Sweet Child's intro, one semitone down, it sounds really awful. What am I doing wrong?

Usually I am using this effect for power chords, so less of a problem there. If it is single note lines, I stick with simple pitch. Tuning is something that will make a big difference though. Since I switched to an Evertune guitar, this kind of effect works a lot better.

I also have a Kemper Rack and this is slightly better for now, but they have been through a few updates to improve matters. There is a feature called Smooth Chords that seems to help when playing more than just a triad.

For me the Poly Capo is a great step forward and hopefully it might even get further refined. Just don't expect miracles. It is a useful tool for live performance, where detail is less likely to be heard.

• Upvote 1

Hi

I've open a ticket with the Line 6 about the HX Edit program issue.

https://line6.com/account/tickets/edit/393107

The other group member can refer to this ticket number and if you feel it is correct, ask Line 6 to correct this missing need.

Support Tickets

View All Tickets
Ticket ID 393107 has been updated

Ticket ID: 393107
  The problem isn't the Helix. The HX Edit program needs a critical update. The HX Edit program should not be able to update the Helix to a higher level than the HX Edit program. This will prevent all the confusion the uses are having. This can be a simple check and force the HX Edit program to be update first then the hardware.

You can not check in the HX Exit program for new version in the program it self. You can for the Helix hardware.

Group:

I've gotten a response from Line 6 already.

From Line 6:

Couldnt agree more. My team has been asking for this since the implementation of updater into HX. I believe this feature will come in a future update.

I just received my HX Stomp.  I'm looking forward to using it.

In the meantime, the first thing I did was update to 3.0.  I followed the directions and everything went smoothly - or so I thought.  It turns out that all of my patches are now named "New Preset".  Many of them are configured and do indeed have what I presume to be factory settings.  The problem is that the names of the presets got wiped out.   I didn't back anything up because I hadn't' used it yet, so I didn't think I needed to backup.

Is this "normal"?  Is there some relatively easy way to solve this?  I mean, if I could find a list of the 3.0 presets I could just brute force manually rename them in HW Edit, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.  If not, where can I find a list of the presets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 hour ago, Deiph said:

I just received my HX Stomp.  I'm looking forward to using it.

In the meantime, the first thing I did was update to 3.0.  I followed the directions and everything went smoothly - or so I thought.  It turns out that all of my patches are now named "New Preset".  Many of them are configured and do indeed have what I presume to be factory settings.  The problem is that the names of the presets got wiped out.   I didn't back anything up because I hadn't' used it yet, so I didn't think I needed to backup.

Is this "normal"?  Is there some relatively easy way to solve this?  I mean, if I could find a list of the 3.0 presets I could just brute force manually rename them in HW Edit, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.  If not, where can I find a list of the presets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do a factory reset by holding down FS2 and FS3 while powering up.

This is probably the first time I've posted here, because this is the first issue I've had that I can't find any info on.

I updated my Helix LT to 3.0 (and my HX Edit, too) and I set it to the new mode that allows you to sacrifice one dsp chain to have no lag between presets. However, after my LT has been on for a few minutes, all of a sudden the patches are silent when I switch. I have to press the button again to hear anything. I.e. I'm on 23A and I switch to 23d, I won't hear anything unless I press it twice. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of no lags between presets.

Anyone know the issue behind this? Is it a bug, or something I did?

2 hours ago, Scarangella said:

This is probably the first time I've posted here, because this is the first issue I've had that I can't find any info on.

I updated my Helix LT to 3.0 (and my HX Edit, too) and I set it to the new mode that allows you to sacrifice one dsp chain to have no lag between presets. However, after my LT has been on for a few minutes, all of a sudden the patches are silent when I switch. I have to press the button again to hear anything. I.e. I'm on 23A and I switch to 23d, I won't hear anything unless I press it twice. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of no lags between presets.

If you have patches where Path 1 feeds into Path 2, those patches will be silent when you load them in Spillover Mode. So it only works if the patches you’re loading are only using Path 1.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

If you have patches where Path 1 feeds into Path 2, those patches will be silent when you load them in Spillover Mode. So it only works if the patches you’re loading are only using Path 1.

They aren't. I built these patches after the update, and after I switched to spillover mode.

It doesn't do it all of the time, either. If I just turned on the Helix, there is no issue. But after about 10 minutes, it starts happening. Then if I turn it off and back on, it's fine again.

6 hours ago, Scarangella said:

Any chance your global settings --> 'EXP Pedals' --> 'EXP 2 Pedal Position' parameter setting has changed since you updated? Depending on how you had it set before the update it can cause unpredictable volume changes afterwards from one preset/snapshot to the other if it is not the same.

14 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Any chance your global settings --> 'EXP Pedals' --> 'EXP 2 Pedal Position' parameter setting has changed since you updated? Depending on how you had it set before the update it can cause unpredictable volume changes afterwards from one preset/snapshot to the other if it is not the same.

It's not the pedals, I'm pretty certain.

I messed around with it some more yesterday, and it is just strange. It always happens after being on for a while, after functioning as it should for at least 10 minutes.

Once it starts, I always have to click twice to switch any patch.

If I'm on 1A and I click 1D, no sound will come through, at all. But then if I click 1D again, it switches. Or if I click 1A again, it will load, too.

It seems like a bug the more and more I mess with it, but I feel like the only one experiencing it.

40 minutes ago, Scarangella said:

I feel like the only one experiencing i

Nope!

Someone one the bug report page mentioned a similar thing. I point him at this thread, but I have not seen any response yet.

https://line6.com/support/topic/16083-helix-bug-reports/page/53/?tab=comments#comment-358436

I'm the one you referred to this post. I read the requirements and also made my patches specifically for the limitations of the spillover. It's worked fine for a while then had the exact thing "theElevator" described. The only thing I can add, is that the screen does display the desired patch on the screen even when theres no sound. This was the new feature I was most excited about other than maybe the precision drive, so I'd very much like to find the fix if there is one.

1 minute ago, macwulson said:

Is 3.01 available or is this basically saying to wait for it? I dont see it anywhere.

Hit "Check for Updates" in HX Edit, and it will say there's an update available (assuming you've already updated HX Edit to 3.00).

There is no update for HX Edit for this one.

So "What exactly is 3.0.1 supposed to fix?"  It says clearly that there are some very serious audio problems that can happen with 3.0 that are addressed by 3.0.1

I doubt it fixes anything else yet as that is a pretty fast, and rather urgent sounding, update.  But it might solve some of the things folks here are talking about!

4 minutes ago, MarcG28 said:

Not seeing any updates for the Helix Native, not on the site and not through the app itself

Hi,

If you read the release notes it states that the update for Helix Native will follow ASAP.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

" The Helix 3.01 update addresses potential severely corrupted audio output. Due to this, we recommend updating your Helix family device as soon as possible. This issue may also be experienced on Helix Native, an update for Native will be available in the very near future. "

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonerath said:

i am currently having some issues with my helix lt 3.0 & 3.1.I use helix as an audio interface for my computer and i hear crackles and the sound  is like 8bit some times .I installed the drivers and firmware via hx edit but it didnt fix the problem 

sounds like bitrate or sampling rate is different on the helix than what your computer thinks it should be

2 hours ago, larryman said:

can't update to 3.01, while in the editor and i check for update it says its current at 3.00

Assuming you already tried the "Check For Updates" link at the bottom of HX Edit or click on the icon next to the version number and update from the dialog box there. If the firmware can not be updated from HX Edit you may want to use the standalone Updater as an alternative.. Take backups first.

To check for the firmware version go to 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' in the top menu. This will show you the HX Edit version and the firmware version. You should see 3.0 for HX Edit and 3.01.0 for the firmware. Thought that was worth highlighting as a lot of users who are updating will be seeing only "3.01" after the 3.01.0 firmware update if they are just looking at the icon and version at the bottom of HX Edit. Things can get a little confusing when the HX Edit and firmware versions get out of synch.  Just wait till the next version of HX Edit drops.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:46 AM, katerlouis said:

Is there a way to pay Line6 for this update? I mean it. I've been on Helix since v1.8 and have gotten free updates over the years with features, amps, effects worth at least 2 new products. I really want to support that.

Nice sentiment. Sure, buy any one of the numerous offerings in their product line or upgrade to the next latest and greatest but please don't be the kid who raises his hand and asks the teacher for extra homework.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

but please don't be the kid who raises his hand and asks the teacher for more homework.

Amen.

I also don't think L6 is suffering particularly bad anyway.

But hey, a "pay-per-wish" or "feature-on-demand" implementation would likely result in some weird things. I bet we'd see some devices with 176 x the amps you can find in Fractals offerings.