Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.0—"THE ALONG CAME POLY UPDATE"

Digital_Igloo

6 hours ago, rickaitch said:

Just purchased a new HX Effects, updated unit and HX Edit to v3.  What a FANTASTIC piece of gear!  Having a small problem with Snapshots though, just started looking at creating and saving them using HX Edit.  So I have a saved preset and I want to lift the level parameter of a Distortion block from 6 to 7.5 when I change to Snapshot 2.  In HX Edit I select Snapshot 2, make the simple change from 6 to 7.5 then save the preset.  I find now that the level param has also changed to 7.5 in Snapshot 1.  Any changes I make to Snapshot 2 seem to happen Snapshot 1 as well!

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

You have to have parameters assigned to the snapshot controller (or any other controller) if you want to have their values recalled by snapshot changes.

ssw83lC.png

• Thanks 1

V3.0, first update I've done on the Stomp that went smooth,no lockups or retries etc.  I had hoped to add one or two blocks to my existing presets, mainly S&R loops, maybe wah/volume.The update accomplished that in most cases, many presets now 7 and some even 8 blocks. Really nice to have User defaults and Favorites ,great time saver.

Command center will come in handy too. Why did we want it on a 3 switch device Line 6? Because some of may be using midi-enabled devices in loops we might like to send data to for particular presets. The poly pitch stuff works fine for bass ,chordal stuff, octave divide, nice 8 string bass with the "12 string" feature.  Glitch delay is quirky ,( may find a use for it), as is the looper. Never used that much anyway. I think there wasn't much need for more fuzz/distortions, Helix already has a ton. As a bassist don't use a lot of OD/fuzz/distortion, (have a SA Aftershock if called for), but the Bighorn Fuzz sounds pretty good on the bass.  I had hoped for some updated synth engines, that would have been a better area to concentrate on. I was also disappointed with the lack of bass specific additions.

But, overall a great update, looking forward to the next!. Thanks to Line 6 for continuing to improve and support the product, if they come out with an even more powerful compact, pedalboard friendly unit, I will be on board.

Hi everyone! Posting for the first time here. Just updated my HX Stomp to 3.0 and fooled around with some of the new sounds, made a clip demoing them (link below). Really love the new drives/fuzzes. Poly patches work extremely well, even though they seem to utilize most of the DSP on the Stomp. Acoustic sim sound fun when mixed together with the electric signal! Glitch Delay seems fun as well, kinda like Strymon Ice presets but more interesting and the fact that you're able to tweak it endlessly makes it way more intriuging.

https://youtu.be/gnBoPEJdiSM

I'm loving this new patch, so many great additions to the Helix!

I have one request for the next minor update: Can you make it possible to completely turn off the gate on the Horizon Drive model? Even if I turn the gate to 0 it's still active and since I play around a lot with my guitar volume pot on a crunchy tone, it kills the sustain when I go for clean-ish tones (boosted crunch with guitar volume around 1-2)

Aside from that, it's a great boost for anything high gain!

6 minutes ago, muppeman said:

I have one request for the next minor update: Can you make it possible to completely turn off the gate on the Horizon Drive model? Even if I turn the gate to 0 it's still active and since I play around a lot with my guitar volume pot on a crunchy tone, it kills the sustain when I go for clean-ish tones (boosted crunch with guitar volume around 1-2

This came up during the beta. According to Igor (the main DSP developer) this is how the actual pedal behaves.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:57 AM, rondesjardins said:

Updated my HX Stomp to 3.0, but it seems that when I’m in Snapshot mode, the first foot switch is lit but when I hit FS2 or FS3 it does not change into Snapshot #2 or #3 and the corresponding foot switch does not light up (and the snapshot icon on the screen does not change). However, a small letter “e” appears next to the camera icon on the display.

If I then switch into another mode and press a switch (let’s say FS2), and then go back to Snapshot mode, then FS2 is lit and the screen shows the camera icon with the number 2 in it. I then try any FS to change to another Snapshot and it won’t change or light up the switch.

is this a bug or did the update wipe out my Snapshots?  Or, is there some new setting I need to change? If none of the above, do I just need to restore my presets from my backup?

Can’t wait to try the new stuff! I literally just upgraded from the Pod Go to the Stomp 5 days ago, so the 3.0 release timing is awesome.

I’ve had exactly this problem, but only with certain presets. I’ve also had it where I’m in stomp box mode, with an effect assigned to each footswitch. When I hit a footswitch the effect turns on but the footswitch doesn’t light up and the little block icon on the screen doesn’t light up. 

Has anyone experienced something similar and found a fix?

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

This came up during the beta. According to Igor (the main DSP developer) this is how the actual pedal behaves.

That is true, but the option to turn it off would still be nice to have!

Alternatively, they could add a model of the Nano Attack (just the attack circuit of the Horizon Drive) in another update. Does not sound impossible since there is a model of just the gate circuit from the Horizon Drive in 3.0

Quick request for a v3.1 tweak is to offer a mode that forces the footswitches to be in the signal flow order (of course, with options that some people count left to right, others right to left, some top to bottom and others bottom to top) and a type of visual indication that signifies where the fx loop hits. This would be particularly useful for people using the four-cable method with an amp and EFX loop on the HX Effects (or other units) and having seen something like this on TC Electronics' Plethora X5 (which I also just purchased and am checking out) is a super-useful feature.

Thanks for considering.

Bob

Ever since I've owned the Helix, I have never paid any attention to the factory presets that it comes with it.

Now, for some reason, after this last update I decided to check them out and found some favorites.

Have these presets always been there?

Big Monosynth

Bel Haven boi!

Needed Space

Mandarine Gaze

Flarhgunnstow

Nine Inch Pills

Sweet Dispozish

Dream Syrup

Low E Sludge

SFX Ufology

Hi Octane

Knife Fight - Love this one!!

Secret Travel

Chem Trails

5 hours ago, hideout said:

Have these presets always been there?

Hi,

Not sure that I would say “always”, but they have been in the factory preset list for quite a while.

Some are useful for maybe kick starting an idea, others are slightly strange and some totally weird.

Have fun with the new discovery.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BobOD said:

Thanks for considering.

Hi, Bob,

Sadly your idea will not get any response from Line 6 staff in these forums as they are for Helix Users.

If you would like to see a feature added in a future update, then the best place to post your request is on the dedicated “IdeaScale” page, and get others to vote it up. Please check that your idea has not already been added by someone else or that would water down the vote results.

Here’s the link:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hello All ,So I Was wondering If the Poly Detune is also DSP Intensive  ? 
and also what happens when you run out of DSP ?  Do the Effects that you want to use simple become greyed out ? indicating you can't use that effect in your current chain due to DSP Limit achieved ? 
thanks  for the clarification

1 hour ago, Hatman777 said:

and also what happens when you run out of DSP ?  Do the Effects that you want to use simple become greyed out ? indicating you can't use that effect in your current chain due to DSP Limit achieved ? 

Yep, I guess that’s the way it works.

The general idea is that anything that uses “poly” is going to eat up DSP really quick, some more than others, and as you note, things that are no longer available become “greyed out”. To conserve DSP, it's best to use on mono versions of the effects. Some amps also gobble large amounts of DSP.

Somewhere on here is a link to a chart showing the DSP use of all the blocks in Helix (pre v3.0) - check Ben Vesco or Malhavok and it should show up.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hatman777 said:

Dont forget that as soon as you only need a single stereo signal, you can always use a super serie to use all the DSP power from all the paths. Plenty of room for amps and FX.

708027E6-3955-4474-9A01-7B151FDC07C5.thumb.jpeg.63e28737abec160820f7b61f07dd11a6.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi, Bob,

Sadly your idea will not get any response from Line 6 staff in these forums as they are for Helix Users.

If you would like to see a feature added in a future update, then the best place to post your request is on the dedicated “IdeaScale” page, and get others to vote it up. Please check that your idea has not already been added by someone else or that would water down the vote results.

Here’s the link:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks for explaining and will do.

• Thanks 1

Quick Question - I cannot find the Poly Sustain on my HX Effects after updating. The release notes indicate that the HX Effects does support it, but I don't see it. Can anyone else with an HX Effects confirm they have it? BTW, HX Edit and HX Effects are updated to the latest firmware - I can see some of the other new sounds (glitch delay, etc.) What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

On 11/21/2020 at 2:48 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Couldn't agree more! Posted this when the first version of HX Edit showed up that allowed the firmware to be updated from within it. Ideally the next release of HX Edit will have an update process that, when invoked, will automatically update itself to the latest HX Edit version and only after that completes successfully does it update the firmware. 

Not for lack of trying but no amount of well-intentioned  efforts to inform people to download/install the latest HX Edit version before updating the firmware has been successful. Until the update process is fully automated every firmware release should have a blinking orange neon notice in 72 point font on the forum page and at the top of the downloads page that says:

"Download/install the latest/matching version of HX Edit first!!!"

When I click on the HX 3.0 Edit update and run it  once the package opens its actually says 2.92 so While the Stomp is telling me it's 3.0 the EDit software is stuck in 2.92. It would be more intuitive for HX edit and the frmware to update together but I understand this might be problematic in other ways for many users also. Can't have everyone happy all the time!

IMG_5852-1.HEIC

2 hours ago, bsheasby said:

Quick Question - I cannot find the Poly Sustain on my HX Effects after updating. The release notes indicate that the HX Effects does support it, but I don't see it. Can anyone else with an HX Effects confirm they have it? BTW, HX Edit and HX Effects are updated to the latest firmware - I can see some of the other new sounds (glitch delay, etc.) What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

Poly Sustain is under the Delay menu. It’s mono only.

I am not able to update the firmware. With the latest updater and firmware 3.0, it just spins and spins and never makes any progress no matter how long I wait. Not sure what to try. I've tried local and download through updater. What a pain..

Yes, better instructions would have been helpful. Thanks for the above post. Also having to restore user presets is archaic.

"Download/install the latest/matching version of HX Edit first!!!

AND ONLY UPDATE THROUGH HELIX EDIT!

1 hour ago, xgman said:

Also having to restore user presets is archaic.

Your presets make it through the update fine. The reason the instructions tell you to do the restore from backup is just to make sure global settings are back in order. If you want to, you can deselect everything else but the Global Settings category when doing the Restore from Backup.

5 hours ago, krispn said:

When I click on the HX 3.0 Edit update and run it  once the package opens its actually says 2.92 so While the Stomp is telling me it's 3.0 the EDit software is stuck in 2.92. It would be more intuitive for HX edit and the frmware to update together but I understand this might be problematic in other ways for many users also. Can't have everyone happy all the time!

IMG_5852-1.HEIC 2.1 MB · 0 downloads

Yup, pretty basic stuff here. Ideally the firmware and software should automatically update in tandem. In lieu of that the messaging should be unambiguously clear and obvious as to what step needs to be taken to match the two. In the case of the latter approach you might have HX Edit refuse to function if it detects a firmware mismatch and just put up a dialog box telling the user which version of HX Edit they need to download and install. 

52 minutes ago, krispn said:

So with all that being said how do I get HX Edit 3.0 to open? If someone using Mac has successfully done so (I haven't updated to Big Sur yet) can you DM me and maybe include the 3.0 dmg and I'd be happy to try it

Hi krispn,

I don't know why you are getting the wrong .dmg file, but you can grab this one if you want to.

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/HXEdit3.00.dmg?role=personal

EDIT

Please ensure that you have deleted any previous version of HX Edit - especially any shortcut/alias back to an older version.

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I can download the 3.0 DMG just fine from Line 6 - no idea why it wouldn't work at all.

Yes, I just checked again and it all seem to be O.K. I can't understand why his download is not correct.

File under weird and mysterious.

EDIT:

Damn! I just realised on his Mac he may have installed the correct version, but is inadvertently opening an alias back to the previous version of 2.92

He probably got it to install properly, but is opening the older version in error.

Easy to overlook that situation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phil_m said:

Poly Sustain is under the Delay menu. It’s mono only.

Yes - I know that, but it turns out the reason I wasn't seeing it is that it won't show up in the menu if you have too many other effects on the same board. As far as I can tell, you can only have a maximum of 4 or maybe 5, including the poly sustain. I could not add poly sustain with 4 other effects already present, but I was able to add a 5th after adding poly sustain as the 4th effect.

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi krispn,

I don't know why you are getting the wrong .dmg file, but you can grab this one if you want to.

EDIT

Please ensure that you have deleted any previous version of HX Edit - especially any shortcut/alias back to an older version.

Thanks for the link. I’ll clean up the hard drive and make sure there’s no errant versions of 2.92 lurking about! 

Much appreciated as although primarily a bass player I really want to hear that Princeton

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bsheasby said:

Yes - I know that, but it turns out the reason I wasn't seeing it is that it won't show up in the menu if you have too many other effects on the same board. As far as I can tell, you can only have a maximum of 4 or maybe 5, including the poly sustain. I could not add poly sustain with 4 other effects already present, but I was able to add a 5th after adding poly sustain as the 4th effect.

Hi,

The biggest drawback to all the “poly” type effect (that people have been clamouring for such a long time), is it guzzles DSP. It can use up to 50% of a single DSP chip, which IIRC is what is available in the HXFX. Put one of these in you signal chain and watch the rest of your  effect blocks become “greyed out”. If you stick to using mono fx oh frees up a little more processing power.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:02 AM, SaschaFranck said:

However, it's very likely that PolyPitch (just as many other similar algorithms) is majorly irritated by hamonic overtones. Out of sheer interest, I was playing some plain sine wave patch from a synth through it. Works a *lot* better. 

I would imagine it works best when PolyPitch is first in your signal chain (haven't tried it myself yet, my Helix is not with me at the moment). Have you tried it that way?  

7 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

I would imagine it works best when PolyPitch is first in your signal chain (haven't tried it myself yet, my Helix is not with me at the moment). Have you tried it that way?  

Tried it in pretty much every position. The only way it's not as warbly is when you massively cut the highs before running into it. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of it simulating a down/up-tuned guitar. Personally, after all the pre-release-talk, anything polyphonic pitching is, well, rather dissapointing. I'll probably be using it for some weirdo FX or shimmery delays/verbs, but others than that I'm not willing to sacrifice my patches for it (pretty much none of them would allow me to even add it as they're using plenty of juice already).

42 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

The biggest drawback to all the “poly” type effect (that people have been clamouring for such a long time), is it guzzles DSP. It can use up to 50% of a single DSP chip, which IIRC is what is available in the HXFX. Put one of these in you signal chain and watch the rest of your  effect blocks become “greyed out”. If you stick to using mono fx oh frees up a little more processing power.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

That does make sense, and that's what I am experiencing. I like the effect enough that it's worth it for me even with the reduced capacity. I use analog drives and compressors, so the HXFX is just for mod/delays/reverbs for me, and I don't mind the concession to get the poly sustain effect - it is really fun to use! I literally got my HXFX on the day they released the 3.0 update, so I am figuring it all out at the same time. It's an amazing unit and a big upgrade from my M13 that I used for 10 years.

1 hour ago, bsheasby said:

That does make sense, and that's what I am experiencing. I like the effect enough that it's worth it for me even with the reduced capacity. I use analog drives and compressors, so the HXFX is just for mod/delays/reverbs for me, and I don't mind the concession to get the poly sustain effect - it is really fun to use! I literally got my HXFX on the day they released the 3.0 update, so I am figuring it all out at the same time. It's an amazing unit and a big upgrade from my M13 that I used for 10 years.

Ahh, a new user!

Welcome to the Helix Crew.

It is quite a leap from the M13, but most of those fx are in the legacy section, should you ever feel the need to use any of those. One of my favourites from the older effects that, thus far, has not made the full crossover to HX is the Dimension model.

I’m also a long time user of Line 6 stuff having started out with the original old red kidney bean POD and transitioned through most of the other stuff up to the Helix floor, ye gods, I still have one of those nylon string Variax guitars.

This stuff just keeps getting better and better.

Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi krispn,

EDIT

Thanks just tryring this this morning and it telling me the file doesn't exist.

I've deleted older verisons of HX Edit went to line 6 and downloaded their 3.0 for mac and again as soon as I open it it says its 2.92. - this is the dmg file  If you can try and resend