Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switch snapshots with midi/reaper

ossianott

Hello, I'm getting preset-switching and parameter control to work with sending PC and CC messages from reaper but cannot understand how to get it to work with swapping snapshots in a preset, I've looked at most youtube vids and read about it, any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhLElhHJ6D4&feature=youtu.be

This is similar to what I'm doing to get the presets to change(from about 2:50), you should supposedly be able to swap snapshots from the bank/program select window which he brings up at about 3:20 too but I can only make it work with switching presets. However I'm changing presets in the "Program number" window (as opposed to him saying this changes snapshots) and BANK MSB/LSB does nothing for me which confuses me due to him saying these should change presets. This is released just a few weeks ago why would there be any difference in how reaper controls my stomp? If somebody here uses reaper for switching and can give me some clues I'm grateful!

DISCLAIMER: I never do it this way, I always record MIDI as part of a performance. I had to figure this out, which was GOOD!

The only part I don't get is setting position. It has something to do with SNAP TO GRID (I think that's what it's called) preferences. LIVE it'll save wherever you make the change. You'll have to read the manual and figure that out, I've spent as much time on this as I have today. I want to play with the new 3.0 stuff!

Create a MIDI track

Set the MIDI Output to Helix Base Channel

Insert a NEW MIDI ITEM

Resize to the desired length

Open the MIDI Editor - ctl+alt+E

Right click in the MIDI Editor and select INSERT NEW MIDI EVENT

Set the properties to:

TYPE=Control Change

POSITION=time at which you want the event to occur

CHANNEL=Helix Base Channel (default 1)

CONTROLLER=69

VALUE=Snapshot#

CC SHAPE=Square

Click ADD or OK

I had a send set to a track with Native, and the MIDI Output set to HX Stomp, and it changed both as expected.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:26 PM, rd2rk said:

DISCLAIMER: I never do it this way, I always record MIDI as part of a performance. I had to figure this out, which was GOOD!

The only part I don't get is setting position. It has something to do with SNAP TO GRID (I think that's what it's called) preferences. LIVE it'll save wherever you make the change. You'll have to read the manual and figure that out, I've spent as much time on this as I have today. I want to play with the new 3.0 stuff!

Create a MIDI track

Set the MIDI Output to Helix Base Channel

Insert a NEW MIDI ITEM

Resize to the desired length

Open the MIDI Editor - ctl+alt+E

Right click in the MIDI Editor and select INSERT NEW MIDI EVENT

Set the properties to:

TYPE=Control Change

POSITION=time at which you want the event to occur

CHANNEL=Helix Base Channel (default 1)

CONTROLLER=69

VALUE=Snapshot#

CC SHAPE=Square

Click ADD or OK

I had a send set to a track with Native, and the MIDI Output set to HX Stomp, and it changed both as expected.

Thanks rd2rk, this is all confusing to me. Some people on youtube use reacontrolMIDI to swap stuff in the HX stomp/Helix, some people use MIDI editor with bank/program select to achieve both preset & snapshot switching, and in those cases the parameters does not correspond to what they do on my computer.

I cannot find "Insert new midi event" in my midi editor, where do you right click to find this function? I can find "Event properties" (ctrl+F2) which has all the different properties you write about OTOH. When I click apply I cannot see any event being programmed into the Midi editor (like when placing a MIDI note or inserting a bank/program select event). Am I supposed to see some change in the midi editor when I hit apply in event properties? Is even event properties the same window as "insert new midi event"? Thanks for the help

event properties.png