Jump to content

HX Edit will not open


Leftzilla
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey an odd one.  Updated HX Edit to 3.0, Helix floor updated, but now for whatever reason HX Edit won't execute or open.  When I hit "open" thinks a couple of seconds and that's it.  I have reinstalled and reflashed the Floor unit twice.  Floor says 3.0 when booting up but HX Edit will still not open on my laptop.  Windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leftzilla said:

Hey an odd one.  Updated HX Edit to 3.0, Helix floor updated, but now for whatever reason HX Edit won't execute or open.  When I hit "open" thinks a couple of seconds and that's it.  I have reinstalled and reflashed the Floor unit twice.  Floor says 3.0 when booting up but HX Edit will still not open on my laptop.  Windows 10

 
Did you download HX Edit 3.0 and make a back up your presets before installing the firmware?

 

Check that your HX Edit is the correct version.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm having the same issue on Win 10. I've deleted HX Edit and any drivers three times (with restarts) and tried reinstalling from fresh downloads of the exe but nothing. It doesn't even get to any start screen. Managed the firmware update to 3.0 on my stomp just fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

same here. I did  the update to Floor and all went fine. Previously I was on 2.81, I backed up what I needed to, then updated to HX Edit 3.00.

 

Once installed, on 2 doifferent Laptops (one Lenovo and one HP) if I connect Helix and run HX Edit 3.00 it doesn't work  (on both). As a comparison, HXEdit2.81 worked flawlessly on both.

 

I reinstalled a million times HXEdit, restarted, and all the rest but nothing... Please help me because I have to restore my backups.

 

DO I have to reupdate also Helix?

 

thanks a lot

Luca

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, it looks like due to me having a large SD card in my machine it somehow interfered with HX Edit.  When I remove the SD card and reinstalled it lit right up.  The update to the helix itself was not the problem, so right mow everything is looking good.  Thanks everybody for the input

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to confirm removing my SD card also meant I could get it installed and working. 

 

However, when I put the SD card back in it stops working again. Will keep it out for now, but unsure why this is an issue (wasn't with 2.92). Thanks for the help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Boltthrower666 said:

For macs, the download link is not working correctly. You try to download the hx edit 3.0 update but it only gives you version 2.92. wtf

 

I think this is something weird that happens with Macs. Try deleting the old 2.92 installation file before downloading the 3.0 file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting... HX Edit 3.0 will not start on my Windows 10 laptop with my SD card inserted.   If I remove it, it starts just fine (then I can reinsert the card back into the slot with no issues).

If I close HX Edit, I need to remove the SD card again to restart the app.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, trinitypc said:

Interesting... HX Edit 3.0 will not start on my Windows 10 laptop with my SD card inserted.   If I remove it, it starts just fine (then I can reinsert the card back into the slot with no issues).

If I close HX Edit, I need to remove the SD card again to restart the app.


Hi,

 

There is a whole thread about this SD card issue messing with HX Edit and also HX Native.

 

https://line6.com/support/topic/49342-hx-edit-281-and-helix-native-starting-with-with-a-blank-screen-and-crash/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-355919


Hope this helps/makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.  I have not been able to get HX Edit 3.0 to work.   I have tried everything.  I use Windows 10.  I reinstalled Edit 2.92 and it works fine.  I have been in touch with Line 6 support and they tried to help; but to no avail.  I tried using two different laptops.  There is clearly a bug in HX Edit 3.0 involving Windows 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure what to tell you as my problem was due to an SD card being present on one of my laptops.  When I removed/unseated  it and reinstalled HX Edit works fine.  Do you have any peripherals, such as SD cards or USB drives on your laptop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

my helix floor was updated to—day to 3.01, but my Helix edit version 3.0

(the latest available download) will not start on Win 10. tried the above

countermeasures to no effect. also cannot uninstall this from Win10

via the uninstaller program.

 

what is the current countermeasure for this ?

versions previous to this worked with no

such issues...

 

~S~

 

addendum—

 

having read the earlier postings of this issue from version 2.72 up,

i realized that since version 2.70 worked fine that the —build— of

Win 10 is the issue. the build version i had was 1903 (pro).

 

i updated to build 20H2 and now Helix Edit functions

as expected. prolly will work with build 2004 as well.

 

 

hope this note helps for those seeking

an effective fix for this, the developers

are assuming "all" Win —build— versions

are up to date—

 

not just those "mandatory"

updates folks are most

familiar with...

 

Seranaea happy now :)

 

 

s jones

 

 

Edited by Seranaea
updated condition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This issue needs the attention of tech support. HX Edit will not load when removable media is in the computer. It is a repeatable and constant bug.

 

FIX:

If your HX Edit (any version) will not load, remove removable media from PC then relaunch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the previous messages and this is my related problem. Today, March 1, 2021 I updated my Helix to 3.01.0, no problem updating the helix via HX Edit. I first downloaded the current HX Edit, backed up my rig, then updated the helix firmware via HX Edit. I was also able to use HX Edit to reload the backup I created, so my device seems fine, nothing is lost, all my custom presets and snapshots are there. Now the problem is HX Edit won't let me actually edit, it closes when I type, I simply wanted to rename a present and as soon as I type a key to rename the present HX Edit shuts down. It doesn't like me typing, unfortunately typing is necessary. What a headache. I'm using Windows 10, nothing additionally plugged into my laptop just the helix. 

Any ideas?

 

Is Line 6 working on this, why don't company reps post about problems they are working on, let us know they know the issues we are dealing with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

I do have HX Edit 3.01 and I was trying to run it recently but it is not even starting. I was reinstaling HX Edit restart PC and with plug in or even out Helix unit. Dont know what to do else.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kozi_EU said:

Hello,

I do have HX Edit 3.01 and I was trying to run it recently but it is not even starting. I was reinstaling HX Edit restart PC and with plug in or even out Helix unit. Dont know what to do else.
Any ideas?

Tha

11 hours ago, Kozi_EU said:

 

 

I assume that when you attempt to open the HX Edit app, nothing happens? The first thing to check is that you have no removable media installed. That means (temporarily) remove all cards from card readers, and in some cases, you may have to remove any USB connected drives and other peripherals (e.g. control surfaces, midi keyboard, etc.)

 

Why? It seems that upon launching HXEdit, the application checks the comm ports for an attached Helix device. If the software encounters anything other than the Helix it stops loading.

 

After loading the HX Edit, you can replace all the previously removed hardware. Unfortunately, until this error is fixed we will have to do this each time we run HX Edit.

 

Good luck!blockquote widgetblockquote widgetblockquote widget

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gepeters said:

 

I assume that when you attempt to open the HX Edit app, nothing happens? The first thing to check is that you have no removable media installed. That means (temporarily) remove all cards from card readers, and in some cases, you may have to remove any USB connected drives and other peripherals (e.g. control surfaces, midi keyboard, etc.)

 

Why? It seems that upon launching HXEdit, the application checks the comm ports for an attached Helix device. If the software encounters anything other than the Helix it stops loading.

 

After loading the HX Edit, you can replace all the previously removed hardware. Unfortunately, until this error is fixed we will have to do this each time we run HX Edit.

 

Good luck!blockquote widgetblockquote widgetblockquote widget


I had freak'n SD card... 
Thanks for help
Kozi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Preaching to the choir but this issue with HX Edit crapping out because of the presence of an SD card should get fixed already. Hopefully it will be in the next release. It appears they are working on improving the update process and hopefully this bug will be included in that overhaul. I cannot think of a good reason why HX Edit should be doing such a low level call to the operating system and hardware for something like drive numbering or disk type.  At least not when it causes the app to crash.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Preaching to the choir but this issue with HX Edit crapping out because of the presence of an SD card should get fixed already. Hopefully it will be in the next release. It appears they are working on improving the update process and hopefully this bug will be included in that overhaul. I cannot think of a good reason why HX Edit should be doing such a low level call to the operating system and hardware for something like drive numbering or disk type.  At least not when it causes the app to crash.

 

It's a security thing. Your hard drive serial number is the seed for something. I've never purchased anything through HX Edit, Helix Native or Pod Go Edit but they all suffer from the same thing. My guess is that the serial number is the seed for encrypting purchases you make in that software and probably more in Helix Native. I only own a Pod Go and would like to see Pod Go Edit fixed but they could all probably be fixed with the same code. I submitted a bug report with example code so I hope so in the next version. You can see the results of what happens on a machine with an SD Card below with a commented disassembly of the offending code. The first line is what my sample code spits out for the SD Card. The xxxs are my hard drive serial numbers blanked out. 

 

Unexpected variant type: VT_NULL
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Pod Go Edit sees the call to IWbemClassObject->Get("SerialNumber") return success and assumes the VARIANT is a VT_BSTR. It then proceeds to make string manipulation calls against the VT_NULL which crashes. The offending code is below. The crash is further in the code but this is the cause.

.text:01088E20 lea edx, [ebp+var_48]
.text:01088E23 push 0
.text:01088E25 push 0
.text:01088E27 push edx
.text:01088E28 mov ecx, [eax]
.text:01088E2A push 0
.text:01088E2C push offset aSerialnumber ; "SerialNumber"
.text:01088E31 push eax
.text:01088E32 call dword ptr [ecx+10h] <-- call IWbemClassObject->Get("SerialNumber")
.text:01088E35 test eax, eax <-- test the return which is equal to S_OK but the VARIANT type is VT_NULL

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, schudude said:

I don't know if this might be helpful to anyone having this problem with HX Edit not opening at all, so I'm sharing my experience.  I've had my MS Surface Pro 7 for a couple of years now...using HX Edit just fine.  I recently upgraded my Helix and HX Edit to v3.  A couple of weeks later, I tried opening HX Edit and nothing happened...never shows anything...just doesn't open.  On my surface pro, I've always used an SD card as my main data drive (reserving the built-in SSD for the OS and program files).  The SD card was definitely the culprit with the HX Edit startup issue...as ejecting the SD card allowed HX Edit to open normally.  But of course, that didn't really help, since my data files (including my Helix related files) are on my SD card (drive D).  No clue why the issue is cropping up now....I've always had the same SD card with this computer.

 

I did some testing today and went into the bios settings of my surface pro and removed the SD card as one of the boot items.  The internal storage came before the SD card in the order...but I figured I'd disable it anyway.  I also disabled the option to boot from a USB device.  I then restarted my computer and HX Edit seems to open up just fine now.  I don't know if this will stick or not...but I sure hope so.  If the problem reappears, I will report that here.  

 

I've never considered that as part of the problem. I don't boot from the SD Card but my laptop may be set to boot from USB for other reasons like the once every few years linux boot. Either way they need to fix it. I swear when I first noticed this that the drive order could change between reboots but I can't seem to reproduce the order change any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...