Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flash Memory + Big Sur?

ramosric

11 minutes ago, ramosric said:

hey all, I have noticed that the Flash Memory option declares compatibility with Big Sur. However the HXEdit option does not.

can someone explain the differences to me please?

Hi,

The second orange banner at the top of this page entitled:

MacOS 11 Compatibility with Line 6 Software

states:

“Currently, Line 6 software products are not compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur.”

Most registered users also received an email saying the same and there are a couple of threads on here discussing the issue at some length.

Until there is an official announcement, I would avoid.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

thanks mate, yeah I'm aware of that statement, my question really is: Why are they declaring that the Flash Memory update IS compatible with Big Sur? (if you go to the downloads page, check the compatibility section in the Flash Memory download, and it clearly states "BigSur") 

might be a mistake.....

1 hour ago, ramosric said:

thanks mate, yeah I'm aware of that statement, my question really is: Why are they declaring that the Flash Memory update IS compatible with Big Sur? (if you go to the downloads page, check the compatibility section in the Flash Memory download, and it clearly states "BigSur") 

might be a mistake.....

Yep, I saw that, and then I thought, “must be a mistake”. Especially as “Drybonz” has been kicking up a stink about Line 6 not getting their software ready for “Big Sur”, even when lots of other music/plugin companies have also told people to hold off from updating to the new Mac OS.

In the heat of the moment of a new firmware update it could be quite easy for some web slinger (possibly not Line 6 staff) to simply assume it was ready. And you know what they say about “assume”. Therefore, I am going to regard it as a typo, and when I get a proper Line 6 email saying it’s all fully compliant then I will know for sure.

Total speculation here..... I'm not a Mac guy and know nothing about Core Audio, for instance.

Perhaps the flash memory compatibility refers only to the use of Helix as the computer's audio card, separate from its use with HX Edit or as an audio interface for DAW purposes. In other words you could continue to use Helix for general audio output from your Mac (YouTube,  iTunes, etc.) but specific audio applications like HX Edit or ProTools don't work with it.

I have had issues like this in the past - a Line 6 product firmware installation on my Windows 10 PC ran successfully as a basic audio card for the PC but the editor program didn't run and a DAW did not not see it as an audio interface device. That might qualify as the device firmware being compatible with the OS though the editor is not.

Just a thought, may be incorrect ....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1