Jump to content

3.0 Bricked my Floor


Joepeggio
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well if you follow the instructions you updated HX Edit, then run the new HX Edit which takes care of the rest of the upgrade. If you want to be an outlaw, do it anyway that tickles your fancy but plan to get totally reamed on the forums if you do.  Sometimes odd combinations can work.

I just did my 3.0 update on a Windows 10 machine.  Babysat it through the initial HXEdit installation.  Ran HXEdit, chose the upgrade, went off to do some errands, came back in 30 minutes and it was all done.  But......I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Well if you follow the instructions you updated HX Edit, then run the new HX Edit which takes care of the rest of the upgrade. If you want to be an outlaw, do it anyway that tickles your fancy but plan to get totally reamed on the forums if you do.  Sometimes odd combinations can work.

 

Using the Line 6 Updater is even recommended by Line 6 in case updating via HX Edit fails. Nothing to do with being an outlaw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

 

Using the Line 6 Updater is even recommended by Line 6 in case updating via HX Edit fails. Nothing to do with being an outlaw.

 

Nice that there is an alternative, but.....

Unless there is something wrong with the unit (or USB cable), why then would HX Edit fail if I followed the instructions? I had no issues (Mac with Catalina) on my "unbroken" Helix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, spikey said:

Unless there is something wrong with the unit (or USB cable), why then would HX Edit fail if I followed the instructions? I had no issues (Mac with Catalina) on my "unbroken" Helix.

 

HX Edit is sort of known to sometimes fail in case there's no proper connection to the Line 6 server (which defenitely isn't the most stable one). In such cases, using the updater may help as it allows you to load the FW flash files locally (of course you need to download these as well).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

 

HX Edit is sort of known to sometimes fail in case there's no proper connection to the Line 6 server (which defenitely isn't the most stable one). In such cases, using the updater may help as it allows you to load the FW flash files locally (of course you need to download these as well).

Yea, and I can see where not being as close as I am to Line-6 (versus where you are in Germoney ; )) could also be an issue sometimes too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this somewhere else on these forums:

"If your Helix ends up in a bad state due to a failed firmware update, first perform a factory reset by holding footswitches 9+10 (Helix/LT) or encoders 5+6 (Rack) during boot up. Then reboot and enter update mode by holding down footswitches 6+12 (Helix/LT) Make sure to try this out on multiple computers in case of poor USB connections."

 

Now, that post is from 2015, so it may no longer be an option. I just know some time back I had an issue updating and used the "update mode" switches to fix it.

 

That said, I updated this time around using the updater and had zero issues.

 

Edit:  The page I got that info from was here:

 

Looks like the original post was in 2015, but it must have been updated to add info for the STOMP and FX.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

 

Using the Line 6 Updater is even recommended by Line 6 in case updating via HX Edit fails. Nothing to do with being an outlaw.

 

I used HX Updater on my floor unit for 3.0 only because the HX Editor will not update inside Big Sur OS.

 

It worked fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After manipulating the Device Manager on my windows machine, booting helix in safe mode (sort of, wasnt all the way there), hot swapping multiple cables with the updater open, the Helix was finally seen and updated to 3.0. Yipeeeee.

 

Thanks all for the help and advice.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...