Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.0 Update with no errors, but I have no new features

mteeters

The 3.0 in the bottom of HX Edit refers to the hardware firmware version. You need to manually download and install HX Edit apart from the update process. It’s actually officially the first step of the process.

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

How does Step One consistently get missed with every firmware update? Boggles the mind...

Steady on there “Cru”. You’re in danger of stating the bleeding obvious. 

My mind is beyond boggled and I’m growing weary of going over the same old ground every update. If these people buy into the hardware and fail to research how to update, I think I will just let them fix it on their own.

This latest round of “updated bricked my Helix” threads have already drawn several comments to the effect that statements like yours (and also mine) are arrogant and snarky. 

I’m gonna leave ‘em to it.

9 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Steady on there “Cru”. You’re in danger of stating the bleeding obvious. 

My mind is beyond boggled and I’m growing weary of going over the same old ground every update. If these people buy into the hardware and fail to research how to update, I think I will just let them fix it on their own.

This latest round of “updated bricked my Helix” threads have already drawn several comments to the effect that statements like yours (and also mine) are arrogant and snarky. 

I’m gonna leave ‘em to it.

If my options are being labeled arrogant, or plowing through life paying no attention to anything, causing problems that otherwise wouldn't exist, I'll take the arrogant label...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my defense, the instructions from the 2.9 updated seemed to indicate that all future updates would be straight from the existing HX Edit:

"Update Firmware From HX Edit

Helix Floor, Helix Rack / Control, Helix LT, HX Effects, HX Stomp

Instead of hanging out on social media, desperately asking when the next firmware’s dropping, you can now, I dunno, actually play guitar? As soon as a new update becomes available, HX Edit will tell you, and all you gotta do is follow the prompts."

That's what I did.  When I opened it up, it gave me the option to Update and I followed the prompts.  There WERE no instructions listed with this update so I assumed that this is what I should do.

Maybe I'm not the one NOT researching.

I think HX Edit should prompt the user to update HX Edit first with a link to the download website, before allowing the hardware update.

Or linking the "Updating Helix/HX" page when a new update is found, with big red letters READ THIS FIRST.

Maybe even informing about the existence of the "Line 6 Updater" in case of update or boot failure.

Anything will do as long as the user informed to update HX Edit first in some way or form.

I have to admit, I forgot to update HX Edit first this time, and I'm not a new to updating the Helix, I had no problems updating thankfully.

• Like 1

I do think HXEdit prompting for updates of firmware, and not updating Edit itself does represent a 'trap for new players'.

I've been with this set-up since 2016 and have been caught out a couple of times before having a duh moment. It may well be that HXEdit has something in the prompts that mentions this when updating the FW, but without something big that basically says "NOW UPDATE HX EDIT BY DOWNLOADING IT FROM THE WEBSITE" I'll miss it every time,

How many people won't even think to look on the download page and/or remember the versions of Edit and Firmware need to align - and then come here with the same question?

The other issue here is that the vast majority of other software out there prompts to update itself driving end user expectations/behavior.

• Like 1

Same for me, I used the prompted "Do you want to update to 3.0?" in the HX Edit rather that execute a downloaded upgrade from the website and only the firmware was updated.

To make the new update fully operational I had to download the 3.0 HXEdit update from the website, install it and then reboot the PC.

Now it works fine, and every new stuffs are available ont both HXEdit and Stomp.

Sorry,,here,,im a lousy peace of lollipop so that said,,i go to the Exit and download everything as i thought be correct,,but nope,i cant see the new amp or some fuzz?? and when i go to customtone to get some new one,it wounded do that,,it said i cant put the presets into device because it not have the correct amp or effect? what did i do wrong? i find out,,it was of caurse my failer,,i diddent update the HX edit,,i thought i did,,but i needed to delete the 2,92 exit first