Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use a single TRS to XLR cable (mono) to mixer? Or do I have to use two?

ptran43

Bottom-line: Can I use a single TRS to XLR cable from the "Main Out L/Mono" to mixer? Or do I have to use two cables for L and R?

Full Story: I've had issues with my band's mixer, but I think it's bc the XLR out on my bass amp is line level and the mixer channel happened to be mic level (and not switchable for line level) so it would clip almost immediately.  I just got a POD Go and would like to know if the below steps are correct/would work:

1) Change global setting for "Main Out Level" to "Instrument".  Change "Amp Out Source" to "Pre Cab/IR".

2) Create patch with pedals and amp/cab sim on.

3) Plug instrument cable from "Amp Out" into front of bass amp.

4) Plug 1/4" TRS to XLR male cable from "Main Out L/Mono" into Mixer.

I've attached a photo for reference, I'm plugged into channel 7/8, which only has one XLR slot.  If I'm able to use just the one TRS to XLR in the mono slot, the patch with amp/cab sim will go through the mixer/PA and the amp will get pre cab/IR signal.  But if I need two cables, then I'd need two XLR slots in my mixer channel? Or would I use two channels in the mixer?

IMG_5948.jpg

well just use one if you're fine with a mono signal. if you are using stereo effects, or you want to try stereo, plug one TRS for left and another for the right main outs, in two mixer channels and pan then hard left and right. 

Yes, this should work in theory – because I didn’t try it out by myself.

In this way the full signal flow goes from Main Out/Left into the mixer at instrument level instead of line level.

So the signal flow before Cab/IR is sent to Pod GO's Amp Out.

Do you want to use your bass amp like a monitor ? No need for any FX block after Cab/IR, right?

If you create a patch with a amp model and send it to your bass amp’s input you send an amp model into your bass amp’s preamp.

So you create a „double amp“: POD Go’s amp model into the real deal.

If your bass amp has a FX Loop connect Amp Out with the bass amp’s FX return to bypass your Bass Amp’s preamp stage.

In this cas you use POD GO's preamp/amp model as your main amp.

Otherwise activate a FX Loop block in POD Go’s signal chain before the amp model and connect POD GO’s FX Send with your bass amp’s input.

cristt, that makes perfect sense.  I'm new to live sound so wasn't exactly sure how that would need to be setup on the mixer, thanks!

olerabbit, thank you for the reply!  I was just testing using the Amp Out and noticed that it was sending the amp model into the bass amp preamp and "double amp"ing as you said.  My bass amp does not have an FX loops, so I activated the FX Loop block (before the amp and cab models) and connected the FX Send into the bass amp input, so now it is not sending the amp model into the bass amp preamp.  However, now there is no sound coming out when I test the Main Out/Left into the bass amp (since mixer is not at my house).  I've looked through settings but wasn't able to fix it.  Any ideas??