Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The first step for updating is downloading and installing HX Edit 3.0

phil_m

• phil_m pinned this topic

L6 should put use this meme as splash screen, everytime you check for a new update from the HX Edit.

A simple rule in software development is to avoid an application doing something it should not, like updating a piece of hardware from the wrong bridge.

• Upvote 4

The edit program is a 1st step in the update process. Then Line 6 should mandated or automatically or message the needed update to the HX Edit before you can upgrade your hardware. This would be a very simple validation check by Line 6.

Just a suggestion to the Line 6 team.

To be honest I did the hardware upgrade 1st not realizing the hx edit wasn't going be updated also. I did the HX Edit 2nd. 

Thanks for the reminder post Phil. 

• Upvote 3

Just a suggestion...

Maybe HX Edit needs to update itself first along with the unit when a "check for updates" is run. On any other application "check for updates" would mean updates for the application itself, not to mention that not every person who owns a Helix is necessarily on this forum and wouldn't necessarily read the release notes. It shouldn't be left up to the end user to navigate the updates properly.

If you're in hx edit and you click "check for update"... And there is one... And you click to install it... Why would any user think that's not going to work?

When there's a Windows patch, or antivirus definitions, or a Reaper update, or phone firmware, or anything else, does any average user do anything other than click "update"?

When you click to update the firmware, why isn't there a prompt to say "hey buddy, looks like your hx edit is a different version than your helix. You won't be able to use the new features unless you update Edit, too! Want to update HX Edit?"

Seems easy enough, plus it's a big win for user experience to not be frustrated, and I can only imagine the number of complaint tickets coming in right now...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

When you click to update the firmware, why isn't there a prompt to say "hey buddy, looks like your hx edit is a different version than your helix. You won't be able to use the new features unless you update Edit, too! Want to update HX Edit?"

I think that could be a useful Ideascale suggestion.

Might be helpful to consider two groups of users here. Group 1 consists of users who are regular forum participants, are keenly aware that an update is pending, see the release notice from Digital Igloo or otherwise become aware of the new release, and seek it out along with the Release Notes and installation instructions. This group of users knows that the HX Edit installation is the first step.

Group 2 consists of users who don’t follow the forums much and are blissfully unaware that a new release is available. They are informed of the new release when they happen to launch their current (now old) version of HX Edit. They install the new firmware as prompted and are unaware that they also need to update HX Edit. I agree that there is a hole in the update process here. Group 2 users should be actively informed during the process that they need to update HX edit. It makes sense that, lacking that information, they come to the forums to report their problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

If you're in hx edit and you click "check for update"... And there is one... And you click to install it... Why would any user think that's not going to work?

When there's a Windows patch, or antivirus definitions, or a Reaper update, or phone firmware, or anything else, does any average user do anything other than click "update"?

Seems easy enough, plus it's a big win for user experience to not be frustrated, and I can only imagine the number of complaint tickets coming in right now...

Exactly! Well said.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:54 AM, phil_m said:

For the sake of everyone's sanity, please do this first before asking why you can't see the new stuff. Not updating HX Edit is the reason why you can't see new stuff.

Select "HX Edit" from the middle pull down menu and download it from here: https://line6.com/software/

image.png.497f837586fc71048ea4439fa340d1d1.png

It could just prompt you to update HX Edit first before doing the firmware update...right? Yes, yes it could, but it doesn't. Sorry to make your life miserable :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, silverhead said:

Might be helpful to consider two groups of users here.

I guess I'm in Group 1.5 XD

Since purchasing my LT, I've been a regular user of the forum, particularly following the discussion on the upcoming update. I read forum posts about the release while I was eating lunch at work, but not the release notes (no time to read the whole thing). I got home, turned my unit and my computer on, started HX Edit, opened Preferences, clicked "Check For Update", followed the prompts until the update process started in earnest, and then took the dog for a walk. Got back, unit was updated, but noticed new effects that were showing up on the unit weren't showing up in HX Edit. "I must have to update HX Edit also" I thought. Searched around in HX Edit for a way to update it. Couldn't find it. Finally read the release notes, which has a link for installation instructions right at the top, and the first thing the installation instructions say is to update HX Edit first, from a web link. Updated HX Edit and everything is fine.

The point is, I'm not technologically challenged. I don't mind having to jump through hoops to get the most out of my unit. And everything worked out fine in the end. I'm not making a complaint on my own behalf. I'm just pointing out that if Phil had to go as far as to create a sticky post and a Bernie Sanders themed meme, then it's a common issue, and one that has to be dealt by people with varying levels of technological agility. I often make suggestions for features or improvements/innovations/changes to existing features, and the reason given for why they're not good ideas is the standard "simplicity vs versatility" argument - 99% of users won't use it, and it might create a issue for those that aren't as technologically agile. If that's the argument against things I want, then it's only fair that it apply here. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to figure out how to update HX Edit manually, but if the game here is making it an easy experience as possible for the most amount of users, then yes, the whole update process should take care of itself automatically.

Since it's a mandatory sequence of actions, then just release any firmware update as a PC/MAC installer, which install latest HX Edit and then the Helix firmware. So, if you check for an update from the HX Edit, it does download and install the NEW HX Edit, prior the Helix firmware. Yes, it's easy as that. Otherwise it keeps being an extremely counterintuitive hacky solution, especially for non-forum readers.

I've previously had no update problems with other versions.

But now I have an hx edit issue.

Mac. High sierra. I download version 3.0. it shows in my downloads as version 3.0. I click on it to open it. Still shows version 3.0. when it starts to unpack it then shows itself as 2.92....any idea why ?

I've tried uninstalling 2.92 and starting again...several times. Always the same.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So I’ve downloaded both of the latest versions of  HX Edit AND Line 6 Updater, and currently can NOT seem to make my actual HX Stomp unit make the transition to 3.0.

I have literally read every thread pertaining to an issue with the update that exists at this point, not sure what else I’m missing. I’ve tried every recommended solution TWICE or more and now I’m stuck without all the patches I started with because the factory reset cleared it and the backup cannot be located!

On 11/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, PierM said:

L6 should put use this meme as splash screen, everytime you check for a new update from the HX Edit.

A simple rule in software development is to avoid an application doing something it should not, like updating a piece of hardware from the wrong bridge.

agree

in manufacturing its called "Mistake Proofing" or in Japanese quality terms: Poke-Yoke

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 6:25 AM, lobstermart said:

Mac. High sierra. I download version 3.0. it shows in my downloads as version 3.0. I click on it to open it. Still shows version 3.0. when it starts to unpack it then shows itself as 2.92....any idea why ?

I've tried uninstalling 2.92 and starting again...several times. Always the same.

same problem here

On 11/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, lobstermart said:

Hi,

I have just seen another post from someone who says that when they downloaded the HX Edit3.00.dmg file and then try to run it comes up as v2.92.

A couple of us have just downloaded the same file to check and they are as expected - v 3.00.

On a Mac it's not known for someone to install a newer version of HX Edit and when they launch it an older version still appears. Sometimes there is an Alias/Shortcut harking back to a previously installed version. I can only suggest that you ensure that you are actually running version 3.0 HX Edit. you can find the version of HX Edit by going into the Application folder > Line6 and inside there highlight HX Edit and press "command" and "I" on the keyboard to bring up the info for the app. Just above the Copyright notice is the Version Number.

If you are still having this issue grab this .dmg file and use that to install HXE3 - it works for me and has done right from within an hour of the latest firmware public release.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itbpemkllecs595/HXEdit3.00.dmg?dl=0

Hope this helps/makes sense

Edited by datacommando
Added info

I looked at the HX Edit software a little deeper today and to Pappazaper's point. There is no software version check or update path for the HX Edit software with in the program other than going to the web site. So what is bad you can check the level of the hardware, but not the Edit software. In my company (one of the software developers biggest in the world) this would be considered a design flaw. All Line 6 has to do is a simple version check for the Edit version. Then provide a update path for it. The second point would be, do not allow update by lesser versions of the edit software to the hardware. Just two cents and over 40 years of software development. Either way I know to always check the HX Edit level. But any newbies will make this mistake many more times. 

PS I did talk to a Line 6 rep about this. But we'll have to see where it goes.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, lobstermart said:

Also the same for me. :(

Ok, I realize I might regret this question, and I acknowledge I'm a bit of a moron in a ton of ways, but why is step 3 (the very cleverly named STEP TRES) restore your backup? That looks like it's going to put 2.92 back on the thing... I'm going to start playing and I bet it works fine without step tres... 

19 minutes ago, bobbymain said:

Ok, I realize I might regret this question, and I acknowledge I'm a bit of a moron in a ton of ways, but why is step 3 (the very cleverly named STEP TRES) restore your backup? That looks like it's going to put 2.92 back on the thing... I'm going to start playing and I bet it works fine without step tres... 

Restoring the Backup doesn't touch the firmware. It just restores all your presets, IRs, and Global Settings (and moving forward, Favorites and User Defaults). Really, though, the only reason they have that step is because of the Global Settings. It's pretty common for those to changed through the update, and rather than going through all the menus manually, doing the Restore from Backup sets them all back in one step. If you want, you can de-select all the categories except Global Settings, and that way the only thing to be restored will be your global settings.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Restoring the Backup doesn't touch the firmware.

Awesome! Thanks! Now I just need a computer science degree to figure out the rest... I'm a bass player who has used an amp and a cable for 30 years, so this thing (HX Effects) is both amazing and super scary... I tried loading the factory setlists, but... I'm not exactly sure why. Anyway, it's sounding pretty great and thanks again! 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, lobstermart said:

I know how to fix this problem.

You need to eject all the HX Edit installers that you have in here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr6bqcbt65eg4if/Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 22.27.12.png?dl=0

It should work now if you open again the HXEdit3.00.dmg

• Like 2

I seem to have a similar issue with HX Edit running on WIN 10. I updated to HX Edit 3.0 and after that, used Line6 Updater to bring my Helix uo to 3.0 as well. This portion worked flawlessly and Helix is on 3.0 now. Probem is: Helix Edit 3.0 does not start anymore! I reverted to HX Edit 2.90, and this version starts, connects well to my Helix floor runnning 3.0 Firmware. So far so good. Seemingly no hardware or driver issues. Then, reinstalled HX EDIT 3.0 again - still fails to run.

Can I continue running HX EDIT 2.9 with Helix Floor on 3.0? Downsides with this?

11 minutes ago, stefanschlett said:

Can I continue running HX EDIT 2.9 with Helix Floor on 3.0? Downsides with this?

This is definitely NOT ADVISABLE!

Version 3.00 of the firmware contains certain blocks that cannot be accessed by earlier versions of HX Edit.  You could make edits to you presets on your hardware unit but they will not be available in HX Edit for backup, etc. The installation notes specifically state that any presets created with v.3.0 firmware are not compatible with any previous versions.

Best thing to do Is to remove all earlier HX Edit copies on you computer then download and re-install HX Edit 3.0. When installing ensure that you select all the available options for installing the latest drivers required to connect your computer to your Helix. Then restart your computer and then turn the power on to your Helix and reconnect via USB then you should be good to go.

Hi datacommando I just did all deistallation today. Reinstalled HX edit 3.0 from scratch. Still HX Edit refuses to start. It "tries" to start and after 5 secs the task aborts without having opened a window. Interestingly I am also running another line6 application which is workbench HD for my variax connected to the very same Helix in the very same way. This program runs perfectly and I can upload, download, change variax settings through helix as an interface, on the same USB cord and port... Very strange.

Thanks anyway for your valuable tipp not to continue using Hx edit 2.90. 

2 minutes ago, stefanschlett said:

workbench HD for my variax connected to the very same Helix in the very same way

Hi, again,

Have you tried to connect HX Edit 3.0 when not using Workbench HD at the same time. Simply try using one at a time, some things don't like to try communicating simultaneously.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, phil_m said:

For the sake of everyone's sanity, please do this first before asking why you can't see the new stuff. Not updating HX Edit is the reason why you can't see new stuff.

Select "HX Edit" from the middle pull down menu and download it from here: https://line6.com/software/

image.png.497f837586fc71048ea4439fa340d1d1.png

completely unrelated to your post (or maybe it is haha) I followed all of the steps to update the edit and it is now stuck on '"firmware downloaded successfully" but the floor model has not entered the update stage. Do you know of this issue? saw someone else had this problem and they fixed it but did not share on how they did it. saw that you were active 17 in ago from the time of this post

18 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi, again,

Have you tried to connect HX Edit 3.0 when not using Workbench HD at the same time. Simply try using one at a time, some things don't like to try communicating simultaneously.

Yes, always at different times. I now installed HX Edit on another WIN10 PC and it runs okay on that machine. Seems this will by my workaround to move all my HX edit software to that machine while DAW and other recording / music related software will remain on my dedicated music laptop. There is so much stuff on there like from fishman, TC electronics, Steinberg. maybe the conflict is somewhere very deep in my system.

Thanks for your support guys! It is a little sacrifice to replug the USB to another computer once I like to edit or backup, given the pro side of having a princess and a poly-pitch now.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, samdrichards said:

I'm having no luck with the HX Stomp. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Line 6 Updater and HX Edit a couple times now and neither seems to let me update the Stomp to 3.00

It says it's HX Edit 3.00 but tells me my 2.92 is up to date. Updater doesn't show 3.0 only 2.92.0

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.24.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.25.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.23.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.25.07 AM.png

Same problem here, really don't know how to upgrade now.
Has anyone opened a report to Line6?

On 11/28/2020 at 6:40 AM, samdrichards said:

I'm having no luck with the HX Stomp. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Line 6 Updater and HX Edit a couple times now and neither seems to let me update the Stomp to 3.00

It says it's HX Edit 3.00 but tells me my 2.92 is up to date. Updater doesn't show 3.0 only 2.92.0

2 hours ago, marcofiorini said:

Same problem here, really don't know how to upgrade now.
Has anyone opened a report to Line6?

Hi guys,

@samrichardsam You could download the version 3 Firmware "Flash Memory" to you Mac and use the Updater to perform a Local File Install - just point it at the Firmware file, click "Update" and let it get on with it. See "Choose File" button in your Updater screen shot.
Otherwise - read on!

@marcofiorini No need to report to Line 6, because so far, everyone that I have pointed to this information has managed to successfully perform and update to version 3 of the Firmware.

This is the official Line 6 word on how to fix a failed install which was posted in the Knowledge Base section of these forums.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

The full update process is described here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

You could download the version 3 Firmware "Flash Memory" to you Mac and use the Updater to perform a Local File Install - just point it at the Firmware file, click "Update" and let it get on with it. See "Choose File" button in your Updater screen shot.
Otherwise - read on!

This is the solution, thanks!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

This is the official Line 6 word on how to fix a failed install which was posted in the Knowledge Base section of these forums.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

I am using a Windows 10 Enterprise OS system.  After years of updating with out any failure this finally happened to me yesterday.  I do not use usb hubs, I do have the connection on the  usb port closest to the power supply, etc.  However without any previous updating issues up to and including v 2.92, I have been using a usb extender cable for ease of access due to how my desk area is setup & the metal box is set in a desk cubby hole... yep. I am lazy that way.  My solution was to remove all the remnants of the 2.92 install and the 1.92 & 1.93 drivers; then i installed HX Edit v3.00 fresh.  Then I rebooted my machine and after the third time of following the instructions I am quoting from datacommando's post it worked perfectly using HX Edit itself.  Looks like I am going to stop using the usb extension in the future.  Of course once my re-fi closes on my current home and I purchase our retirement home in Tennessee I will be buying a new laptop as my old one of 12 years finally bit it; its true. Happy trails all.

And hopefully this thread has now covered about every issue new (and some of us older) users have ran into.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpdennis said:

and some of us older

Yep, that’s me. I beat you to the retirement thing though - 3 years gone now. It’s great in my studio in a little log cabin at the far end of our garden, playing with all the boys toys. Hey, you might have the real thing in the land of Davy Crockett.

Good to know your Firmware is fully functional - enjoy - and enjoy the forthcoming retirement. As the usual statement goes, “I don’t know how I had time to go to work!”

Hi,

I've been burnt by usb extenders cables also. The longer the cable the weaker signal and more EMI interference. The supplied cable for the Helix floor is only about five foot 6 inch with a single choke.  Something we all have to remember here. Length matters. I wonder what Line 6 states as the max length for the USB cable.

Hi, 

I updated my HX Stomp to 3.01 and everything worked fine. Then I tried to update HX Edit to 3.0 The download and the installation seemed to be fine, but after that I couldn't start HX edit. I clicked on the icon but nothing happened. Dont know what went wrong. Any advice? 

Greetings from Germany 

Ryner