Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Red Line on BOOT UP

ianbrown2001

27 minutes ago, ianbrown2001 said:

It will not connect to HX Edit either.

Hi,

Usually when seeking assistance from the forum, it’s a good idea to supply as much info about your computer and OS as possible.

Anyhow, this is the official procedure for dealing with a failed install.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all I can offer right now- i need a beer!.

Hope this helps.

It took me like 8 tries to update the firmware, and I had the same screen pop up on reboot multiple times.  Eventually the firmware updated after various times it failed.

The thing is, each time you power your unit on again, when in the standalone Line 6 updater (NOT HX Edit), is hold switches 6 and 12 (the furthest to the right on both rows) until the Helix screen says "entering update mode".   Then you should be able to try again in the updater.

You can also try downloading the actual firmware file (I think the format is .hxf) from the website, save it onto your computer, and in the updater, it will let you select a file to manually update offline.  Finally, I've read that anti-virus programs might cause issues connecting with Line 6 update servers, so you may want to pause your protection while doing an update.  I wish I could say any of these is a definitive fix, but I can't for certain.

For some reason, the Helix is twitchy and unreliable when it comes to USB cable connections- I'll often get disconnected inside HXEdit for no reason.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 11:11 AM, JimGordon said:

It took me like 8 tries to update the firmware, and I had the same screen pop up on reboot multiple times.  Eventually the firmware updated after various times it failed.

The thing is, each time you power your unit on again, when in the standalone Line 6 updater (NOT HX Edit), is hold switches 6 and 12 (the furthest to the right on both rows) until the Helix screen says "entering update mode".   Then you should be able to try again in the updater.

You can also try downloading the actual firmware file (I think the format is .hxf) from the website, save it onto your computer, and in the updater, it will let you select a file to manually update offline.  Finally, I've read that anti-virus programs might cause issues connecting with Line 6 update servers, so you may want to pause your protection while doing an update.  I wish I could say any of these is a definitive fix, but I can't for certain.

For some reason, the Helix is twitchy and unreliable when it comes to USB cable connections- I'll often get disconnected inside HXEdit for no reason.

At Least Jim offers some help, we see lots of ) read the instructions, They are of no help. The unit has known problems when it comes to updating and USB connections. I am very well versed in this unit and write technical instructions for a living, these are not great.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys! 

I recently had this issue, I have a Helix Rack!

the way I was able to fix it took me a couple of tries,

-if you have HX edit and line 6 updater make sure its UP TO DATE (check the website to make sure you have the latest software downloaded)
-connect the unit to your computer (for the rack when I powered it on It was not showing up on hxedit or line 6 updater)

-go ahead and close HXedit and only have line 6 updater open, and see if the rack will show up on the updater.
-if the rack does not show up on the updater, leave the application open and turn off the helix, turn it back on,

for the rack make sure you are holding the first and the last encoders while turning on the device (took me a couple of tries)

-the helix display should be a red line and blank black screen.
-eventually the helix rack showed up and I was able to update it by following the on board instructions and use it!

wham! problem solved!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1