Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Performer tones

ezut

48 minutes ago, ezut said:

I would like to inquire from someone who has updated to performer tones. Is it worth it?

How good are they?

How good are they?

I would say they are great when the artist that created them are actually using them.

They sound like every other preset in the world when I plug into them. 

In fairness I don't expect any preset to suit what I do. I loaded them up just to see what was there but I wasn't surprised when none of them did anything for me. There might be a trick or two I will learn from some - but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, ezut said:

I would like to inquire from someone who has updated to performer tones. Is it worth it?

How good are they?

How good are jelly donuts, lima beans and baked scrod? And who's opinion would matter if you hate those things regardless? 

As far as I'm concerned, they every bit as good as all the factory presets that preceded them...in other words, they're craptastic! ;)

I'm me, and I approved this message. Your mileage may vary... and a test drive is the only way to find out.

1 hour ago, ezut said:

How good are they?

Which do you mean- is the update to v3.0 in general worth it, or are the artist presets worth the update for their own sake? The former is definitely worth it. I wouldn't update if your only reason is that you expect to be blown away by your perceived quality of the artist presets.

I asked with no offensive intent. For me, my LT is full of my own tones and it takes a long time to untie them.
I would only do it if it was worth it. If it is worth the same as the old factories, it will be unnecessary work and a waste of time.

If they might be like what they sell in the market, it’s different.
  I'm happy with the 3.0 update and thanks to Lin 6.

12 hours ago, ezut said:

I asked with no offensive intent. For me, my LT is full of my own tones and it takes a long time to untie them.
I would only do it if it was worth it. If it is worth the same as the old factories, it will be unnecessary work and a waste of time.

If they might be like what they sell in the market, it’s different.
  I'm happy with the 3.0 update and thanks to Lin 6.

There's nothing "offensive" about your question... it just can't be answered in any meaningful way, because the very nature of guitar tone is 110% subjective. 

There are those who think that factory presets and/or commercially available patches are wonderful, and use nothing else (though I suspect they are in the minority). Then there's the rest of us who've tried in vain to find anything useful in patches created by someone else, with different gear, tastes, ability, etc etc.... but either way, nobody can predict what you'll think of them...because we have no idea what you likes or dislikes are, or how you might perceive this new batch of presets. The only way you'll get an answer is to load them up and try them out for yourself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ezut said:

I would only do it if it was worth it.

If you have a blank setlist on your Helix or if you are ok with overwriting Factory 1 then there is nothing to lose. 

11 hours ago, ezut said:

I asked with no offensive intent.

I certainly never took it as such, and I hope my answer didn't cause you to believe I did. 

Unless there's an artist in there you really want to get tones from, I wouldn't worry about them. I keep my Setlist 1 as factory so I can try the new stuff with updates, and honestly, a lot were underwhelming, a lot seemed slapped together and lazy, and a few were pretty cool but nothing I would copy for my own use. The Rabea and Bulb chug tones were highly disappointing, in fact I wonder if anyone even put sounds through Rabea's "CHUG" preset. The Mastodon preset and the Devin Townsend preset were fun.

• Like 1

Just played through them all. There are maybe 6 I would use with a bit of editing. There's nothing mind blowing that you wouldn't be able to set up yourself IMHO.

Also lots seen designed to show off the new features with no thought. I'm not really interested in a patch with three delays and cave reverb..

I didn’t want to do advertising, but I see I have to describe it because a lot of people don’t really understand what and why I asked. A company called Choptones makes very good usable tones for different effects (though not for free) I was thinking that they might be new or not as good as the old ones.
I think it’s not a subjective opinion that what’s basically put into a factory tone is zero. I didn't buy the Helix for a long time because of this.
And when I bought it, I spent a lot of hours programming.

Oh good Lord, just load them on there already... this is the biggest waste of time I've ever seen. You've spent days ruminating over whether or not to even bother trying them, and on the useless solicitation of opinions from internet strangers. By now you could have auditioned each new preset exhaustively, built a shrine to your favorites, and had enough time left over to start a leper colony.

Nobody's gonna spend time uploading them to custom tone for you when they're already there for the taking with a couple of button clicks.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@ezut: Instead of composing another post in this thread, try this:

1. Use HX Edit to export your current Factory 1 setlist.

2 Download and import  the Factory 1 setlist using the link datacommando provided.

3. Audition the Artist Presets (the ones with the names in ALL CAPS).

4. Now make another post here telling us what you think of them.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know why you don’t understand that all my places in Helix are full. And I have a lot of work in the tones in it. And I would just exchange one or one, which I like again.
That's why I dared to ask. But I’m already sorry, slowly it really takes more time. I thought I was getting a meaningful answer to my question, but just the education goes, and they looked at me stupid.
Anyway, let's leave it all. Forget my question. I'm sorry I robbed someone of your time.

7 hours ago, ezut said:

I don’t know why you don’t understand that all my places in Helix are full. And I have a lot of work in the tones in it. And I would just exchange one or one, which I like again.

Hi ezut,

It is not a problem if you all your places are full. You can save them all in different ways, first you can save the whole contents as a bundle,  secondly you can save each setlist individually, or finally, you can export each preset one at a time.

I will suggest that you simply save one of your Setlist to you computer. Next import the Factory 1 setlist, from the link I gave earlier, to replace the setlist you saved. You will find the Artist Presets are the ones with the names in ALL CAPS in the Factory 1 list. If there is a preset in the Artlists presets that you want to keep, just export that as a single preset which you can load to whichever place you want it to be.

If you don’t like any of them or don’t want keep any of them - overwrite them with your setlist that you saved earlier.

Once you fill all the places in HX Edit you can save, swap, duplicate, change and remove or replace as many as you wish, whenever you wish by saving them to you computer. It can never really be full.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

If you are unsure about importing setlists see here from 3:35

Edited by datacommando
Added video link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ezut said:

I don’t know why you don’t understand that all my places in Helix are full...

And I don’t understand why you think that matters. After exporting one of your current setlists you can import it again later to the same setlist location and your device will be restored to its previous state, exactly as it is now. Each export and import operation takes a couple of mouse clicks.

That lets you temporarily experiment with the new Factory setlists. You can save/export any individual presets that you like and then import them later (after importing your original setlist) to any preset location you want. You will lose nothing you don’t want to lose and gain any new artist presets that you like.

I am giving you meaningful answers to your questions and I don’t think you’re stupid. But I do think you have so far misunderstood what I and others have been suggesting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi ezut,

It is not a problem if you all your places are full. You can save them all in different ways, first you can save the whole contents as a bundle,  secondly you can save each setlist individually, or finally, you can export each preset one at a time.

I will suggest that you simply save one of your Setlist to you computer. Next import the Factory 1 setlist, from the link I gave earlier, to replace the setlist you saved. You will find the Artist Presets are the ones with the names in ALL CAPS in the Factory 1 list. If there is a preset in the Artlists presets that you want to keep, just export that as a single preset which you can load to whichever place you want it to be.

If you don’t like any of them or don’t want keep any of them - overwrite them with your setlist that you saved earlier.

Once you fill all the places in HX Edit you can save, swap, duplicate, change and remove or replace as many as you wish, whenever you wish by saving them to you computer. It can never really be full.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

If you are unsure about importing setlists see here from 3:35

Thanks. I'll try this.

• Like 1