Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Metal Zone?

zappazapper

1 hour ago, JimGordon said:

The "Legacy" distortions seem to have very standardized simple controls compared to the "normal" HX distortions.  The solution here would be to stick a parametric EQ right before or after the Heavy Distortion, and see which position works better.  

XD thanks, I was just pointing out a typo. 

1 hour ago, CraigGT said:

The legacy pedals have been unchanged for a while, do you mean the HM-2 by any chance?

• Distortion > Swedish Chainsaw (Mono, Stereo), based on* the BOSS® HM-2 Heavy Metal Distortion (Made in Japan black label)

In the 3.0 manual the list of effects now includes the legacy effects, and under "Heavy Dist" it says Boss Metal Zone. Maybe it's the Metal Zone model from the DM-4? I know the X3 line has a Metal Zone model that includes the Mid Freq control and it's called "Killer Z". Anyway like I said, I just assumed it was a typo and it was a previous version of the HM-2 but the HM-2 doesn't have a mid control at all, so that's why I think maybe it's the Metal Zone model from the DM-4, which didn't have enough controls for it. I think all the legacy effects are from the stompbox modeler series.

1 hour ago, CraigGT said:

The legacy pedals have been unchanged for a while, do you mean the HM-2 by any chance?

The HM-2 is the Boss Heavy Metal distortion...

The Metal Zone is a Boss MT-2... 

Similar category, but very different distortions...

1 hour ago, JimGordon said:

The solution here would be to stick a parametric EQ right before or after the Heavy Distortion, and see which position works better.  

For reference, tone controls on a real Metal Zone are "after" the gain stage so after the Metal Zone would be the more accurate placement. 

That said, I agree with you. Try it in both places and pick the position you like more. 

12 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

I think all the legacy effects are from the stompbox modeler series.

I am pretty sure the legacy effects are the HD Series (M Series).... while the Stompbox modelers would have been from the XT/X3 era... but with limited controls.

24 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

K but like I said, the X3 has a Metal Zone model (Killer Z) and it has the Mid Freq control. And I seem to remember the stompbox modelers appearing quite a bit before the XT and X3. Kidney Bean or 2.0?

Yes, you are correct... they were release prior to the XT and subsequent X3. 

The HD Series and M Series had the "Heavy Distortion" model with NO MID Freq Control. The "Killer Z" never made it to that series.

IMO, it wouldn't be the first effect in the HD series that actually took a step back from the X3 :)