Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab to replace L2T?

derekh2862

I have a Helix Floor that I use for solo acoustic gigs (very small rooms), running my acoustic guitar and vocal mic through the Helix and out to 2 x L2T speakers, one on a stand and the other as a wedge monitor in front of me. Guitar/mic signals out of the Helix via L/R XLR outputs into the 2 channels of one of the L2T's, which are connected via L6Link.

I also play electric guitar through the Helix, but have not gigged on electric for a few years, so a while back I ditched my DT50 + 4x12 cab and have since been playing only on headphones or occasionally through an L2T.

I'm looking at the Powercab 112 Plus as an upgrade for the electric guitar setup and I'm wondering if I could sell one of the L2T's to fund the purchase without sacrificing anything in my solo acoustic setup. For a solo acoustic gig, the Powercab could be set in FRFR mode and used as a wedge monitor, correct? Can I still use the L6Link to connect the L2T and Powercab? Even without L6Link, I could still run the 2 signals from Helix to the L2T mixer, and then a Line Out from L2T to the Powercab. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Okay so I'm not bragging, I'm just saying so you'll know that I have experience with this.  I have Helix Floor, two L3s (one with on-board mixer and one without), an L2 (with on-board mixer), AND the PC112+.  I use the L2 at church cause it's smaller/lighter/easier to move around after having toted the L3 for a while.  I use/d them for both electric and acoustic and have always considered either of the "T" versions to be as good for acoustic as the best acoustic amp I've ever used and I've had some good ones.  That said, I was equally amazed the the PC+ for acoustic.  I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  HOWEVER, I like the PC+ for electric better.  HOWEVER again, since you are primarily an acoustic player, and you have TWO L2s,  I personally couldn't sell both in order to replace them with ONE PC+.  Once you've played stereo it's kind of hard to go back - especially for acoustic (in my opinion).  HOWEVER number three, I've never tried running my PC+ in series with an L2/3 using as you described.  I've read on forums that the answer to that desire is "no".  But I will be trying it tonight and I'll let you know "IF" it works.  Otherwise - no.  HOWEVER number four (grin),  I find it completely hard to believe that running a typical split from different outputs (not LINK) wouldn't be perfectly fine.  That's no different that sending a signal to a PC+ and front of house and they both units are expecting a 'line' signal.  Even if they weren't you could set your outputs in global to send a line signal to one and an Instrument signal to the other.  Right now, within the same Helix preset, I'm running a 4 cable method signal to a tube amp/cab AND a line signal to my PC+.  Then I have one snapshot set to my amp only, one to the PC+ only, and one to play both.  Oooh!  Your post has inspired me to try a WDW setup using the amp/cab for dry guitar and the L2/PC+ for mods in stereo.  The Helix is truly an amazingly versatile unit.

I have had a similar consideration.  I have a Helix floor, an L2t and an L2m connected by L6 Link.  I am playing electric, acoustic, and bass through this rig.  I am spoiled by the stereo capabilities of this setup.  Still, the PC+ has caught my attention based on the reviews.  At this point, I am sitting still.  I actually wish the PC+ 2 x 12 was more affordable.