Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PS4/Rock Band/Helix

steelstringer

Ok. This one’s a long shot on the Helix forum, but here it goes. I would like to connect my electronic drum kit (w/midi capability) to the PS4 so my daughter can play Rock Band. This would replace the really basic drum set that comes with the game. Typically, this connection is made with this midi adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Rock-Band-MIDI-PRO-3/dp/B0042B3EOM

Unfortunately, this adapter is nearly impossible to find anywhere. I do, however, have a Helix LT. I have never explored the midi functions of the Helix, so I have no idea if it could function in a similar way to this adapter.

My kiddo loves rock/classic rock music, and I think this game might really get her interested in learning the drums. Help out a dad trying to keep rock music alive for at least one more generation! Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight.

That PS4 device appears to only have a MIDI in, but I would think you would need a MIDI out port from the PS4 if it's actually sending MIDI drum notes.  Likewise you'd need to confirm your drum set can receive MIDI drum notes through it's MIDI in.  Also, drum mapping could be a problem unless both the PS4 and the drum kit are using General MIDI mapped drums which in my experience isn't always the case.

Singular Sound, the manufacturers of Beat Buddy, make a specialized PS2 Midi cable that breaks out into two input and output standard MIDI cable connections.  Then all you would need are standard MIDI cables to connect to the in/out ports which you would connect to the drum kit.  I use this connector all the time to control the Beat Buddy through the Helix, but Helix wouldn't do you much good for playing the MIDI since it doesn't have any MIDI drums defined.  The following is a link to the Singular Sound cable they offer:

https://singularsound.com/product/midi-sync-cable/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1