Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native 3.0 Crashes Ableton Live 10

dougabrams

I have been working with Ableton Live 10 and Helix Native to see if I can get them to work without crashing.  The best solution I have found, with help from Line 6 technical support, is to go back to Helix Native 1.90.  I would love to get Helix Native 3.0 working with Ableton Live 10; but thus far it does not work in any configuration.  I tried loading only VST2 files and that didn't work.  Any help would be appreciated.  I think it is a bug with all versions of Helix Native about 1.90.

Is there something in particular that you're doing when it crashes?

I just loaded up LIVE 10 Lite with Native 3.0 (LIVE 10 doesn't support VST3), linked a MIDI controller, and it's working fine. It IS, however, showing 25%+ processor usage, which is WAY more than Reaper (8-10%), which is strange, Amplitube 4 shows around 22%, which is consistent with using somewhat less processor in Reaper.

Depending what else you're doing in LIVE, it could just be overloading the processor.

The machine I'm testing this on is an ancient Gateway i5 with only 8gb memory, and so far, just Native 3.0 and the MIDI track, no crashes.

I'll leave it running a while to see what happens, but so far, so good.

I'm now up to 9 tracks (I named the project "Amp Sim Playground" :-) ) -

3 amp sims - Native 3.0, Amplitube 4, TH3

EZDrummer and EZKeys

That's 5 VSTs and 3 MIDI tracks feeding the amp sims

All tracks RECORD ENABLED 

Processor is holding steady at under 30%

I'm playing thru all 3 amp sims with their JCM800 versions - sounds MASSIVE!

Microsoft antivirus is ON, and wireless is ON (two no-no s for optimization).

I also have open Paint (working on a problem for somebody else), Opera, HX Edit and the full Office version of Outlook.

More no-no s for optimization.

I come back to LIVE every so often to see if it's crashed. I can't get it to crash.

Again, this is an ancient i5 laptop with only 8gb RAM.

I'm using LIVE 10 LITE (I only get 8 tracks), but I can do the same configuration and more with Reaper or Cakewalk.

Suggestions:

Check your optimizations.

I have NO startup programs running.

Power, sounds and screen effects set to Max Performance - not even wallpaper.

Processor optimized for Background Processes.

This error code appears every time I try to get any preset to run.  My laptop is a professional grade Dell.  It has 16 GB of ram.  I am running other plugin such as IK Multimedia Pod Farm and Positive Grid's BIAS FX2.  These plugins work great.  I am also able to use Helix Edit for my HX Stomp.  It is very mysterious.  Prior to trying to install HX Native 3.0 again, Helix Native 1.90 was working fine.

error code running Helix Native 11-24-2020.jpg

HX Stomp 11-24-2020.jpg

By "Professional Grade" I'm assuming an i7.

I'm also going to assume that you've at least checked the optimizations I mentioned, especially the processor setting, as opposed to just dismissing them because "other stuff runs".

That done, uninstall Native with the provided uninstaller.

Run a Registry checker to make sure there's no leftover related entries or other problems. I use CCleaner FREE version. Then reboot.

Download a fresh copy of Native 3.0 and re-install.

Open a NEW Project in LIVE, with just one track for Native.

If you still get the error, just for giggles, try a different DAW. Reaper has an unlimited trial.

If you get the same error in Reaper, I really don't know at that point.

I've established that Native 3.0 runs fine on much lesser and older HW, and in multiple DAWs..

Maybe check with Ableton support (and the forum) in case they've seen this before?

Good Luck!

Thanks very, very much.  I have to get my firm's IT folks to try these things.  I have promised the IT folks I would send projects on my laptop to them rather than try it myself.  I will check with Ableton Support.  Line 6 support had seen this problem before and they worked with me to get Helix Native 1.90 working.  The later versions crashed Ableton with that error code.  I had hoped Helix Native 3.0 would work out of the box.  

Thank you again.  I truly appreciate the insights and suggestions.

I have Live suite 10 and Native 3.0.  I had the same issues when I upgraded.  uninstall/reinstall did not work for me.  the fix was after uninstall, I had to go through my VST folders and manually delete helix native plugins because the uninstaller didn't remove them, and the new installer didn't over-write them..  once I did this manual plugin delete... I just installed it and everything worked.. had to activate again but that was it.

• 5 months later...

If you have an SD card remove it from the computer.  I spent numerous hours troubleshooting the issue and was continually getting that same error message.  I very kind person from this forum suggested I remove the SD card in my laptop.  I did and Native worked fine.  It’s a flaw in how Native is designed that it crashes if an SD card is installed on a computer.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, xblay said:

Same Issue

Upto Native 1.91, work fine. With Ableton, Performer, Adobe Audition

1.92 and above versions crash every mentioned DAW

very disappointing...

Only on your system. No such problems on mine, using Reaper, Ableton and Cakewalk.

Time to do some more troubleshooting.

6 hours ago, xblay said:

Same Issue

Upto Native 1.91, work fine. With Ableton, Performer, Adobe Audition

1.92 and above versions crash every mentioned DAW

very disappointing...

This must be a Mac running BS - yes?

If it is, have you done the recent OS Update, because according to a post over one TGP,  a guy did the Mac update to 11.3.1 and now Native will not work in Logic Pro X, also updated to 10.6.2.

And as he says; "Apple used to be a platform that ' just works'. No so much anymore".

Suggested to him was to try to revert back using Time Machine.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 1:30 PM, dougabrams said:

If you have an SD card remove it from the computer.  I spent numerous hours troubleshooting the issue and was continually getting that same error message.  I very kind person from this forum suggested I remove the SD card in my laptop.  I did and Native worked fine.  It’s a flaw in how Native is designed that it crashes if an SD card is installed on a computer.

Amazing. It works whent SD off

So weird

Thanks a lot for the solution !

• 6 months later...
On 5/18/2021 at 3:41 PM, xblay said:

Amazing. It works whent SD off

So weird

Thanks a lot for the solution !

I absolutely don't believe...after 4 hours troubleshooting and cursing everybody at line6...I've removed the SD card and it's working. 

wtf is that????????????????????????????????????????????

THANK YOU 

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 5:30 PM, dougabrams said:

Thank you!!!