Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expanding DSP on Helix Floor 3.0: HX Stomp or Hx Effects

StaccoP2P

I run a ton of effects in my music. I'm overjoyed at the 3.0 update (but heartbroken at the lack of EHX 9 Series-like keyboards emulators, hint, 3.1 or 2 hint), but of course DSP on my existing patches is already maxed out. I have an Empress Zoia in Stereo sends/returns, but I want to use some additional effects (and therefore DSP).

Rather than using one of the loops, I'd like either Stomp or Effects to be fed from my Guitar, old VHT Valvulator and then split into my analogue signal/amp and the Helix. I really don't need amp sims or cabs. So does that make HX Effects a no brainer. As I ges started on my research I'll throw out a few questions. Thanks!

1. HX Effects has all the 3.0 updates, poly stuff etc yeah?
  2. Does it have the same processing power as STOMP? (But all dedicated to FX?)
  3. Can I control HX Effects it from Helix Floor? This includes snapshots
  4. Can EXP outs on HX Effects control additional parameters in Helix Floor (I'm already using three expression pedals)?
  5. Can I simultaneously switch presets from Helix and HX Effects?
  6. Re Stomp vs Effects, am I basically answering my own question here? With no gigging in the near future and all my amp needs covered (in meatspace and the virtual world), what advantages does Stomp have over Effects? (I could always build a small pedalboard with Stomp in the after-times, but we'll see)
  7. Ok, let me dream. Apart from having it as a mono feed, first in chain after the Valvulator and going into Floor's guitar input, can I use the send returns to feed back into Helix at the END of my "dry" chain (ie, separate pedals + my amp, using it's paralell fx loop - it's a Boogie Nomad 55). How would I logically route this.

To be clear, I know that answering these questions is a lot of work! I will be seeking the answers myself and will chime in through here, but I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on this. Gratitude to the community and happy Helixing!

1) Yes, just no amps

2) Not sure, but I think so. Stomp has 8 Blocks, HXFX has 9

3) Yes, via MIDI

4) Don't know what you mean by "Exp Outs", but it can be done via MIDI

5) Yes, via MIDI

6) If you're using it in an FX Loop of a Floor, and don't need amps, none that I can see, and one less block

7) If you're using it in an FX Loop of a Floor, and the floor connected to the amp in 4cm, that's what you're doing. Keep in mind that each FX Loop in the total signal chain adds 2-3ms of latency. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you should. 

• Like 1