Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Edit manual and snapshots

Dwf2008

Is there a manual for the Helix Edit software? I can’t seem to find one on the site. I would like instructions on how to create and save snapshots from within the software. It seems like this would be much easier than doing it from the console.

You can follow this:

HX Edit—Access the 3.0 Pilot's Guide from within HX Edit itself. Click the question mark in the lower left corner and select "Pilot's Guide"

I know I downloaded this but can't remember from where now... The above should solve it for you though. 

Saving/creating snapshots is very straight forward on HX Edit. Most settings will only require that you right click on the parameter and set it to snapshot, the values will become white when this is done. After this all you need is to set the values and save the snapshot.

4 hours ago, Dwf2008 said:

I can’t seem to find one on the site.

https://line6.com/support/manuals/#effects > Helix > select any Helix device > manuals download page for each respective device, each including HX Edit Pilot's Guide

Direct link:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a40dad35fb6b5906116f/application/pdf/HX Edit Pilot's Guide v3.00 - Rev P - English .pdf

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I now have a much better (although incomplete ) understanding of snapshots. My original problem was that the title "Pilot's Guide" on the download page made me think it was just the simple 4 page cheat sheet that came with the unit. Thus I ignored it.  Oh well . . . 

Now to answer SaschaFranck's question, 

1. I find stepping on 2 buttons at once to enter snapshop mode to be clumsy. My understanding is that the footswitches can be reprogrammed to do almost anything. So, can I convert a switch (say FS8) to toggle between regular and snapshot mode and if yes, how?

2. I have purchased some custom presets from Glen DeLaune (he's on youtube). He describes some of them (Mark Knopfler) as having snapshots to emulate specific songs. They are very good btw. However these additional tones are accessed by pressing the MODE button not the 2 button snapshot switch. This is partly why I was confused originally. So I surmise these are not truly snapshots but are instead just turning a specific block on and off. The question is, he has given these MODE buttons custom names to match the songs they emulate. How do you do that?

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, Dwf2008 said:

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I now have a much better (although incomplete ) understanding of snapshots. My original problem was that the title "Pilot's Guide" on the download page made me think it was just the simple 4 page cheat sheet that came with the unit. Thus I ignored it.  Oh well . . . 

Now to answer SaschaFranck's question, 

1. I find stepping on 2 buttons at once to enter snapshop mode to be clumsy. My understanding is that the footswitches can be reprogrammed to do almost anything. So, can I convert a switch (say FS8) to toggle between regular and snapshot mode and if yes, how?

2. I have purchased some custom presets from Glen DeLaune (he's on youtube). He describes some of them (Mark Knopfler) as having snapshots to emulate specific songs. They are very good btw. However these additional tones are accessed by pressing the MODE button not the 2 button snapshot switch. This is partly why I was confused originally. So I surmise these are not truly snapshots but are instead just turning a specific block on and off. The question is, he has given these MODE buttons custom names to match the songs they emulate. How do you do that?

Thanks again.

You may prefer displaying some or all of your snapshots by default. Perhaps set to something like "Snap/Stomp" which will display your snapshots on the top row and your stomps on the bottom. Take a look at the global settings --> Footswitches --> 'Preset Mode Footswitches' setting.

You can also use Command Center for more options for customizing footswitch assignments. Go to the Command Center, select a footswitch and rotate through all the options available in the 'Command' parameter(PB1) to get a feel for what's available.

I don't own any Glen DeLaune presets but if what you say is true about using the MODE button to get to the "snapshots" I would think you are correct. These would not be snapshots but probably multiple block/parameter assignments to a single footswitch which can be named whatever you want.  This is the way we used to make multiple changes with a single tap before snapshots came along and I suppose it still comes in handy depending on the preset you are constructing. 

One way to give stomps custom names is by touching and holding the switch for the stomp switch you want to name. Then select the 'Customize' parameter button(PB5) and dial in the name you want. I find this easier to do through HX Edit however using the 'Customize' option under the 'Bypass/Controller Assign' tab.