Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset rebuilding

HermanHestholm

3 minutes ago, HermanHestholm said:

Updated my helix to the new 3.0 software. It has been stuck on "Rebuilding preset 413" for over 12 hours now. I've tried to reboot it twice but nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

Hello Herman,

To save me from having to type all the information once more, may I suggest that you try the reset options that I posted earlier in a similar thread here:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I have always done what datacommando suggests doing which is doing a reset of some kind after a firmware update. There are several different versions but I personally reset everything after saving all of my presets and IR's as well as a total backup. It uses buttons 9&10 and this is essentially a factory reset. You may want to just use buttons 5 & 6. With that one you keep your setlists, patches and IR's.This is the only upgrade i did not do a reset immediately. But after updating to 3.0, I noticed some parameters will show 4.789 or something else with 3 digits after the decimal point. Parameters that I can't do that to. So since I saw that, I did what I normally do and did a full factory reset. The parameters went back to normal. Here's the info on doing this.

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination
  • Like 1

After the initial firmware update and preset rebuild, any presets or setlists you import that were saved using the pre-update firmware also need to be rebuilt. I am in the habit of cycling the power to my Helix, thereby forcing the rebuild, immediately after importing these in order to minimize the chance of anomalies that may result from editing presets that have not yet been rebuilt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverhead said:

After the initial firmware update and preset rebuild, any presets or setlists you import that were saved using the pre-update firmware also need to be rebuilt. I am in the habit of cycling the power to my Helix, thereby forcing the rebuild, immediately after importing these in order to minimize the chance of anomalies that may result from editing presets that have not yet been rebuilt.

Question: My existing user presets never went through a rebuild after the firmware upgrade.  Since then, I've saved a couple backups and setlist exports to my computer under the new firmware version of HX Edit.  If I load the backup made under 3.0 on to my Helix, do you think any of these issues will occur?

26 minutes ago, JimGordon said:

Question: My existing user presets never went through a rebuild after the firmware upgrade.  Since then, I've saved a couple backups and setlist exports to my computer under the new firmware version of HX Edit.  If I load the backup made under 3.0 on to my Helix, do you think any of these issues will occur?

If your existing presets were present in your Helix device when the firmware was updated then they were rebuilt. It's an automatic, not discretionary, post-update procedure. Accordingly, all your subsequent backups and setlist exports, including the backup you made on 3.0, involved presets that were on your device at that time which likely means they have been rebuilt. 

So I assume you are talking about presets, setlists, and backups that were NOT present on your device when the firmware was updated and have not yet been imported/restored. After importing/restoring these it's wise to cycle the power on your Helix device, thereby forcing the rebuild, before you edit any of the presets. I presume there's a reason that presets are automatically rebuilt after a firmware update, before you can edit them. I'm not sure what that reason is (likely format changes in the preset structure) but for the same reason it makes sense to force older presets to be rebuilt immediately after import.

Note that there's only one time period when un-rebuilt presets exist on your device. That's the time period immediately after importing older presets and until you power down your Helix device.  On the next startup these presets are automatically rebuilt. My suggestion is to minimize this time period.

15 hours ago, silverhead said:

Note that there's only one time period when un-rebuilt presets exist on your device. That's the time period immediately after importing older presets and until you power down your Helix device.  On the next startup these presets are automatically rebuilt. My suggestion is to minimize this time period.

That begs a question for me.  I keep all my operational presets stored as preset files and import them as needed.  After updating I've never had any problem with any presets even when I import them.  It may or may not be my imagination, but it seems to me the importing of a preset may sometimes take a bit longer after an update so I've assumed that's when it's getting rebuilt.  Do you know if that's true or not?

My understanding is that importing an old preset does not trigger an immediate rebuild. Otherwise, I don’t know why it would be rebuilt again, automatically, on the next startup. It seems that at the end of a successful rebuild process the preset is somehow tagged indicating that it has been rebuilt. If not every preset would be rebuilt repeatedly at every startup.

I really don’t know for sure how this works. I just presume that there must be a reason to rebuild presets and that the system is smart enough to somehow know when they’ve already been rebuilt. To me that means that if they are rebuilt on startup they weren’t previously rebuilt.

20 minutes ago, silverhead said:

My understanding is that importing an old preset does not trigger an immediate rebuild. Otherwise, I don’t know why it would be rebuilt again, automatically, on the next startup. It seems that at the end of a successful rebuild process the preset is somehow tagged indicating that it has been rebuilt. If not every preset would be rebuilt repeatedly at every startup.

I really don’t know for sure how this works. I just presume that there must be a reason to rebuild presets and that the system is smart enough to somehow know when they’ve already been rebuilt. To me that means that if they are rebuilt on startup they weren’t previously rebuilt.

As I recall (I'm not at home) everytime I've added an old preset, it rebuilds it after shutting down and restarting the Helix.

• 1 month later...

Totally Frustrated!

I've been trying to update to Firmware 3.01 on my Floor Helix. I Have 2.82 installed.  Every time I try to run the Firmware update on either my MAC OSX or Windows 10 Laptop,The Floorboard installs the Firmware update but never installs the presets. I don't even have any custom presets! Just the ones that came with the Helix!  I contacted Line 6 for help. The only thing they stated was to try running the firmware update from Line 6 Updater The Same thing happens. I literally let it sit for 48 hours and it never loaded any of the presets.  I tried to reinstall my backup but it seems that since no presets are loaded, HX edit will not recognize the Helix. 

The only way I got the Helix to get presets back was to press FS6 and FS12 and use Line 6 Updater to put it back to Firmware 2.82. For some reason this version loads the presets back. I Tried to install other versions of the Firmware higher than 2.82 and the samething happens. I've been at this for almost a week. I tried clearing everything FS5 and FS12. I tried Global reset FS5 and FS6 and trying to Upgrade current presets FS10 and FS11. None of that rebuilds the presets after upgrading past

My existing firmware 2.82. I am the using the latest HX edit  3.0 and the latest Line 6 Updater 1.19. What am I doing wrong? If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, ralfaro said:

Totally Frustrated!

I've been trying to update to Firmware 3.01 on my Floor Helix. I Have 2.82 installed.  Every time I try to run the Firmware update on either my MAC OSX or Windows 10 Laptop,The Floorboard installs the Firmware update but never installs the presets. I don't even have any custom presets! Just the ones that came with the Helix!  I contacted Line 6 for help. The only thing they stated was to try running the firmware update from Line 6 Updater The Same thing happens. I literally let it sit for 48 hours and it never loaded any of the presets.  I tried to reinstall my backup but it seems that since no presets are loaded, HX edit will not recognize the Helix. 

The only way I got the Helix to get presets back was to press FS6 and FS12 and use Line 6 Updater to put it back to Firmware 2.82. For some reason this version loads the presets back. I Tried to install other versions of the Firmware higher than 2.82 and the samething happens. I've been at this for almost a week. I tried clearing everything FS5 and FS12. I tried Global reset FS5 and FS6 and trying to Upgrade current presets FS10 and FS11. None of that rebuilds the presets after upgrading past

My existing firmware 2.82. I am the using the latest HX edit  3.0 and the latest Line 6 Updater 1.19. What am I doing wrong? If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Hey Just Startin,

Did you find a solution for this issue?

I followed your advice on going back to 2.82, followed by using the Line 6 updater to take me to 3.01 and reapplying my last backup, which was made before the original update to 3.01, but when I started my Helix floor this morning, it went back to being stuck at "Rebuilding Preset 347"

Does anyone know what is preset 347 is?

Thanks in advance

The preset number has no significance. I believe the Preset numbers follow the patches labelling so. Setlist 1-1A=1, 2A=2, 3A=3, 4A=4, 1B=5,....etc. Then go to setlist 2 and the next number will be 1A. In this case Setlist 1-32D=128 so Setllist 2-1A will be 129. Keep counting that way until you get to 347. I think that will be the preset and you should replace it with one that you know works. It may be corrupted.  I'm not positive about this so don't totally take my word for it.

RALFARO. It sounds like to me you want the new factory presets. The footswitch combinations you describe will not do that. The footswitch combinations that will give you whatever factory presets came with the update are these. Which one you use will depend on what you want to keep. As you can see in each choice, the setlists are being reset. That's what you want...I think.

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

The preset number has no significance. I believe the Preset numbers follow the patches labelling so. Setlist 1-1A=1, 2A=2, 3A=3, 4A=4, 1B=5,....etc. Then go to setlist 2 and the next number will be 1A. In this case 32X4=128 so Setllist 2-1A will be 129. I'm not positive about this so don't totally take my word for it......

That’s correct.

So preset 347 is number 109 in Seltist 3 (347 - (2*128) = 109). That makes it preset 28A (109 - (27*4) = 1).

19 hours ago, lline6kronus said:

Hey Just Startin,

I followed your advice on going back to 2.82, followed by using the Line 6 updater to take me to 3.01 and reapplying my last backup, which was made before the original update to 3.01, but when I started my Helix floor this morning, it went back to being stuck at "Rebuilding Preset 347"

Thanks in advance

As noted by "brue58ski" in the post above the setlist count like this:

There are 128 presets in a setlist - 8 setlists for a total of 1024 presets in the device.

They are numbered squentially from Setlist 1 Preset 1A to Setlist 8 preset 32D.

Preset number 347 would be in the third setlist

NOTE: Every time you update the firmware the hardware unit will go through the process of updating the presets to make them compatible with the latest version. Every time you load a setlist or bundle or older preset that was created by earlier firmware the process will start again. If it encounters a "bad" preset it will stall. you have the option to reset the hardware and make a note of where the problem is (eg: preset 347) and open the back up file within HX Edit and then repair, or remove, the faulty preset. Basically you are dealing with computer, albeit one that does one particular thing, but a computer nonetheless. Stuff can get corrupted.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, but while the Helix Floor is saying "Rebuilding Preset 347" the HX Edit does not find the device.

That is why following ralfaro's advise yesterday was so awesome, in that it got me back up and running, but this morning, I was back to where I was yesterday.

How do I delete preset 347? I did not have this many presets before the update. What I noticed yesterday, is that it went through all the presets fairly quickly until it reached 347.

I did not have a preset 347 with version 2.8 something.

Also, every time after reverting to 2.8 something and restart the Helix, it boots back into 3.01, followed by being stuck at "Rebuilding Preset 347" - how do I remove 3.01 entirely so that I do not have keep going through this endless cylce?

Edited by lline6kronus
added additional information

12 hours ago, lline6kronus said:

Hey Just Startin,

Thanks in advance

It still sounds to me like this might be corrected with a global reset, downloading and installing the latest version of HX Edit(3.0.1), and then reinstalling the 3.0.1 firmware.

However if all else fails and you are still able to get back to the 2.8 firmware and make backups successfully I might try something like this. Export preset 28A and then copy a working(rebuilding properly) preset from one of the Factory setlists over the 28A preset in setlist three(the preset that is failing). Create a general backup and also backup all setlists, IRs, and presets individually. You can backup all presets individually at once by highlighting them all and hitting 'Export' in the editor. Export them into directories named after the setlist.

Now download and install HX Edit 3.0.1, and then run the 3.01 firmware update again. If it succeeds and everything rebuilds normally great, if not restart the Helix with FS7 & FS8 depressed(for the Helix Floor). This will reset all the factory and user setlists. Your Helix should now be able to finish the rebuilding process as it will no longer be hitting the problematic preset. After it finishes rebuilding you can attempt to restore your setlists. If the restore of setlist three is still failing you can restore it by skipping the setlist restore for setlist three and instead use the individual presets you made in your prior backups. They can be restored in groups until you narrow down which preset(s) are failing.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, lline6kronus said:

how do I remove 3.01 entirely so that I do not have keep going through this endless cylce?

Hi,

Hold down FS5 & FS12 while powering up your Helix - this clears EVERYTHING.

I hope you have backed up your own presets previously, then you can re-install v 3.01 and your presets as mentioned by “HonestOpinion” in the post above.

Hope this helps/ makes sense.

OK, I woke up in the middle of the night doing a little math. 347 - 256 = 91 of the User set list. In my case, this was a preset called "Baracuda_Heart"

1) Turn off the Helix Floor

2) Held down FS7 and FS8

3) Opened HX Edit

4) Restore backup, which was made prior to the upgrade

5) Clicked into preset 93, which I had named "REBELL YELL" - worked fine

6) Right clicked on the aforementioned preset, chose copy

7) Right clicked on preset 91 and chose paste

8) Created a new backup for today

9) Turned off the Helix Floor, followed by turning it back on and it rebuilt all the presets with no issues.

As I was typing this response, it was in the 400s, so I have no idea exactly how many it rebuilt, but it looks good. Turning off and on one more time - drum roll please - comes up with no problem.

It looks like datacommando was correct when they pointed out that there could be a bad preset

Thank you all so much for your help. I will record some songs (I was about to type tomorrow, but it already is tomorrow) this morning, in a few hours, followed by editing this response with a youtube link to the video. You guys may regret helping me :-)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, silverhead said:

That’s correct.

So preset 347 is number 109 in Seltist 3 (347 - (2*128) = 109). That makes it preset 28A (109 - (27*4) = 1).

30 minutes ago, lline6kronus said:

OK, I woke up in the middle of the night doing a little math. 347 - 256 = 91 of the User set list. I

..... ooops..... looks like I need help in remedial arithmetic (not even complex enough to be called math!). Thanks for the correction.

The irony is I was once a high school math teacher. Like they say, those that can’t do... teach!

Glad you got it sorted out.

• Haha 2

silverhead,

I used to tutor Calculus and I barely remember anything. From time to time, I will watch basic math tutorials (Geometry, Algebra, etc...) and I will say to myself, "Oh yeah, I knew that" but I could not save my life if it depended on it.

OK, for the promised youtube video - first, this is my first attempt at uploading a 4K file which is almost an hour long and youtube is still processing the 4K conversion, but the 1080p version is available - please let me know what you guys think. BTW, the second song is supposed to change from acoustic to electric, then back to acoustic but it does not. Yet it works on the first song. I can see on the Helix Floor that it changes, yet the sound is still that of a preset that I call "Electric Eye" - any ideas why it works for the first song, but not the second would be great to hear. Changes in the Helix are being triggered via MIDI on channel 16. Man I can't wait for covid to be over so that I can get some sun. I look vitamin D deficient for sure.

Once again, thank you for your help and I hope that you enjoy. If you do, then please hit the like button.