Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go with a Marshal DSL 40 CR

hernan93

Hi Team, I just unpacked my POD Go this week and I was very excited about it. I have read and watched a lot of videos regarding the best way to connect the Pod Go whit the Marshal DSL 40CR and  I've found that some people suggest the 4 CM while others suggest going direct to the Amp FX return. 

I have tried the FX return but I'm not sure if I should use the Amp Out jack or the main POD's Out (L/Mono).

In summary, I'm not satisfied with the results I've had get so far. I bet POD Go can sound much better, at least like the videos or demos I have seen.

So my questions regarding this are:

1. What would be the connection chain that gets the best sound of the POD Go in my DSL 40? Notice that I don't care about using the Amp tube drive... I want to use the Amp or pre Amp modeling of the POD Go.
  2. What output jack will work best with my setup: Amp Out or L/Mono Out? Please help me to clarify when to use each.
  3. If I'm going into the FX loop return, should I bypass the cab simulation right? What about the Amp and PreAmp modeling, should I focus my tweaking in just Pre-Amp or is it ok to use Amp simulations in this setup?

Thank you in advance, I hope I can tweak these things up to get a nice sound. 

Personally, I'd try going through the front of the amp with the amp set to clean. You only want 4 cable through the fx loop if you want to use the amps gain channel. I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and didnt like it through the fx loop or through the fx return. I should add that it has a parallel loop whereas yours might be series, so yours might be better. 

However, I don't use Pod Go through my amps. I have a Headrush FRFR108 powered speaker which is staggeringly good and makes the Pod Go sound huge, with plenty of bottom end. 

I have the Marshall DSL 20w head into a 1x12 Mesa real cabinet with a V30 speaker. I have experimented quite a bit with this and in my opinion there is no question that the best results will come from the DSL effects return, not from the front of the amp. Only use the 4CM if you plan on using the DSL channels, but I personally do not.

NOTES:

- L/Mono Out into the Marshall DSL effects return delivers true tube power amp characteristics. You will be able to use he DSL's Presence and Resonance controls for more tone shaping.
- Do not use any cabinets or IRs on the Pod Go, shut them all off.
- This is huge...get to know and use the Preamps, not the full Amps. Preamps will deliver a beefier more tube like tone. Remember you are using the Marshall's Power Amp, so you do not want to use the Pod's full Amp block and add in the Pod's simulated power amp on top of the Marshall's. Its overkill and doesn't deliver a true tube amp tone.
- It is a must to use the EQ block after the Preamp (set by Pod default) to shape your tone as needed. I like the Cali 5 band EQ the best for this.
- If you want to push the preamp harder (boost or gain), use another EQ before the amp and up the level only. I prefer this method over any Overdrive which will color the tone, unless that is what you are trying to do.

Also...I sometimes use an Orange Pedal Baby power amp and get similar results as the Marshall amp delivers, the Marshall is slightly better though because of its true tube power section. (Using the same notes above on the Orange power amp, preamps only). 

16 hours ago, hernan93 said:

I would like to make a "setup gig" at home that I can reproduce in a venue with any other Amp. The "problem" with this to me is that I would be "dependent" of the DSL 40. 

Here is the issue, you will never be able to do it because every amp/poweramp will give you different characteristics. I also have Orange and Mesa tube amps and when I use their power sections (effects return) they both sound different. I find the Marshall power section on the DSLs to be far superior and they seem to work best with the Helix and Pod, so you have the right amp imo. For the consistency you are looking for (home and venue), and not wanting to lug around the Marshall 40w combo...I highly recommend the Orange Pedal Baby poweramp and a 1x12 cabinet. Although you already have both the power amp needed and the speaker in that 40w Marshall combo.      

1 hour ago, dacop13 said:

I have the Marshall DSL 20w head into a 1x12 Mesa real cabinet with a V30 speaker. I have experimented quite a bit with this and in my option there is no question that the best results will come from the DSL effects return, not from the front of the amp. Only use the 4CM if you plan on using the DSL channels, but I personally do not.

NOTES:

- L/Mono Out into the Marshall DSL effects return delivers true tube power amp characteristics. You will be able to use he DSL's Presence and Resonance controls for more tone shaping.
- This is huge...get to know and use the Preamps, not the full Amps. Preamps will deliver a beefier more tube like tone. Remember you are using the Marshall's Power Amp, so you do not want to use the Pod's full Amp block and add in the Pod's simulated power amp on top of the Marshall's. Its overkill and doesn't deliver a true tube amp tone.
- It is a must to use the EQ block after the Preamp (set by Pod default) to shape your tone as needed. I like the Cali 5 band EQ the best for this.
- If you want to push the preamp harder (boost or gain), use another EQ before the amp and up the level only. I prefer this method over any Overdrive which will color the tone, unless that is what you are trying to do.

Also...I sometimes use an Orange Pedal Baby power amp and get similar results as the Marshall amp delivers, the Marshall is slightly better though because of its true tube power section. (Using the same notes above on the Orange power amp, preamps only). 

Dacop13. I really really appreciate your replies. Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

I understand everything your mention and you were very clear. I have the doubts about using the Amp or PreAmp simulation of the POD Go but now I know I should start tweaking with the PreAmp modeling best. 

I will let you know my opinion of this setup and the tones I get. 

1 hour ago, hernan93 said:

Dacop13. I really really appreciate your replies. Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

I understand everything your mention and you were very clear. I have the doubts about using the Amp or PreAmp simulation of the POD Go but now I know I should start tweaking with the PreAmp modeling best. 

I will let you know my opinion of this setup and the tones I get. 

No problem, preamps are the way to go, the results are much better when using a power amp and real cab. Takes a bit more time but worth it. Think of it this way, the Synergy Syn tube guitar amp system sells modeled amplifier Preamps for their unit, because the power is already there with the head. We are doing the same thing, using Line6 preamps with a power amp.  

7 hours ago, dacop13 said:

No problem, preamps are the way to go, the results are much better when using a power amp and real cab. Takes a bit more time but worth it. Think of it this way, the Synergy Syn tube guitar amp system sells modeled amplifier Preamps for their unit, because the power is already there with the head. We are doing the same thing, using Line6 preamps with a power amp.  

One additional question:

I realized many of my preferred patches in my X3 live had the Volume block after the Stompboxes+Amp modeling block. As you know the Volume block is the first (or second) one in the POD GO presets, so this make me question myself about the "right" or recommended position of the Volume block. Should it be in second place or should it be after the amp and cab modeling? What would be the advantages/disadvantages (or characteristics) of place the volume block in different locations?

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, hernan93 said:

One additional question:

I realized many of my preferred patches in my X3 live had the Volume block after the Stompboxes+Amp modeling block. As you know the Volume block is the first (or second) one in the POD GO presets, so this make me question myself about the "right" or recommended position of the Volume block. Should it be in second place or should it be after the amp and cab modeling? What would be the advantages/disadvantages (or characteristics) of place the volume block in different locations?

Thank you. 

To be honest I have always kept it in the default position on the Pod Go. You could experiment for sure. I just use it to lower the overall volume of the unit when needed.  

On 11/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, dacop13 said:

I have the Marshall DSL 20w head into a 1x12 Mesa real cabinet with a V30 speaker. I have experimented quite a bit with this and in my opinion there is no question that the best results will come from the DSL effects return, not from the front of the amp. Only use the 4CM if you plan on using the DSL channels, but I personally do not.

NOTES:

Same issue, but Marshall AVT100X. I've tried to change Amps to Preamps and Pre has no volume enough. Ideas? Please?

1 hour ago, rarellano said:

Same issue, but Marshall AVT100X. I've tried to change Amps to Preamps and Pre has no volume enough. Ideas? Please?

That is a huge issue with the preamps...volume levels. Although I was able to get more then enough volume out of the power amp and tube amp for the Line 6 unit.

• Sad 1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, dacop13 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I recently picked up a JBL studio monitor (305p mk2) and it opened up a whole new world as far as tone and being able to use full amps and cabs. Sounds much better then just using the preamps.  

Thank you.. But I don't have studio monitors. In addition, during a gig probably you will need to use an amp instead of going direct to the mixer.

So if I understood well, the tones you are getting from the chain POD GO+Amp modeling+Studio are better than the chain POD Go+valve Amp? so far haven't you be able to find a good tone with the valve Amp?

On 12/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, hernan93 said:

Thank you.. But I doesn't have studio monitors. In addition, during a gig probably you will need to use an amp instead of going direct to the mixer.

So if I understood well, the tones you are getting from the chain POD GO+Amp modeling+Studio are better than the chain POD Go+valve Amp? so far haven't you be able to find a good tone with the valve Amp?

Yes...the BEST tone is from using FRFR, in my case its the JBL Studio monitor powered speakers. I liked it so much that I recently purchased a Line6 1x12 poweramp. I will no longer use the Pod or Helix with a poweramp or valve amp as I want to use the full AMP and CABS in the Line6, it really does sound that much better. If you do use the valve amp option its defiantly best to use the Preamps as I have mentioned before, if you cant find anything you like that way go FRFR. You will not be disappointed. 

10 hours ago, dacop13 said:

Yes...the BEST tone is from using FRFR, in my case its the JBL Studio monitor powered speakers. I liked it so much that I recently purchased a Line6 1x12 poweramp. I will no longer use the Pod or Helix with a poweramp or valve amp as I want to use the full AMP and CABS in the Line6, it really does sound that much better. If you do use the valve amp option its defiantly best to use the Preamps as I have mentioned before, if you cant find anything you like that way go FRFR. You will not be disappointed. 

Thank you man.

BTW... what poweramp did you buy?

I use my Pod Go both through studio monitors using the L/Mono output (sounds excellent using CABS/IR) and into the FX Return of my Boss Katana using the AMPOUT output....this sounds pants unless you disable the CABS/IR but sounds great with them off....I therefore changed the AMP OUT settings in the Global Settings of Pod Go so that the signal get's sent Pre CAB/IR this means I don't have to disable cabs/IR on each present when using the Pod Go with an Amp and can still use the L/Mono if I want to go straight to PA (which is what I'll do most of the time). If you have any delay, reverb, mod FX you would need to make sure they were moved Pre Cab/IR to make sure they were still in the chain for a AMP OUT if using this approach

2 hours ago, Rossco02 said:

I use my Pod Go both through studio monitors using the L/Mono output (sounds excellent using CABS/IR) and into the FX Return of my Boss Katana using the AMPOUT output....this sounds pants unless you disable the CABS/IR but sounds great with them off....I therefore changed the AMP OUT settings in the Global Settings of Pod Go so that the signal get's sent Pre CAB/IR this means I don't have to disable cabs/IR on each present when using the Pod Go with an Amp and can still use the L/Mono if I want to go straight to PA (which is what I'll do most of the time). If you have any delay, reverb, mod FX you would need to make sure they were moved Pre Cab/IR to make sure they were still in the chain for a AMP OUT if using this approach

Understood... thank you for sharing that approach.