Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Expression Pedal w/Toe Tap

jeffsharp0981

Just grabbed an HX Effects and I'm loving it, especially since I've only had it a few weeks and already got a huge update with 3.0. I'm about to get an expression pedal to even further increase functionality.

I have 2 questions on expression pedal function:  1. Is it possible to have a global setting where the expression pedal is defaulted to be a volume pedal in all presets?  2. Trying to decide if I should spend the extra cash for the Mission Engineering Expression with a toe switch. If have do this, will I be able to use the toe switch to change back and forth between using for volume or another effect like wah or whammy within a present? Years back I used to gig with a Boss ME70. One of the things I loved about it was the functionality of the built-in expression pedal - it was a volume pedal when switched off, then you could switch it on with a toe switch to control other effects per assignment. Can HXFX do the same?

Well, I just got the Mission Engineering Expression with the toe switch today, hoping to be able to switch between modes as you described on my HX Effects and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to do that. Plus, having the switch at the bottom of the pedal feels a bit annoying and, honestly, the travel of the pedal isn't as far as I expected.

Any others with more thoughts on this and expression pedal suggestions? (And, ideally, clarification if the toe switch works with an HX FX?) Thanks.

15 hours ago, BobOD said:

Well, I just got the Mission Engineering Expression with the toe switch today, hoping to be able to switch between modes as you described on my HX Effects and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to do that. Plus, having the switch at the bottom of the pedal feels a bit annoying and, honestly, the travel of the pedal isn't as far as I expected.

Any others with more thoughts on this and expression pedal suggestions? (And, ideally, clarification if the toe switch works with an HX FX?) Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. Hmmm...If the switch doesn't work for switching modes then I wonder what it's for in the first place. And the switch being at the heel is probably a deal-breaker for me on the Mission Engineering option. I've used a Crybaby for over 20 years and I don't even know if my muscle memory would allow me to change from the feel of activating a rocking pedal by pressing down the toe - that was the whole reason why the toe-switching expression pedal concept appealed to me - I'm already quite accustomed to that motion and feel. Hoping someone else has a recommendation.

On 11/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, jeffsharp0981 said:

1. Is it possible to have a global setting where the expression pedal is defaulted to be a volume pedal in all presets?

No, this is not possible. You have to assign it on each preset. 

2. Trying to decide if I should spend the extra cash for the Mission Engineering Expression with a toe switch.

Toe Switch will not work with an HX Effects. 

All HX Models (including Helix) can operate by "auto on".... eg: When an expression reaching a threshold (eg: 5%) then the effect (eg: wah) automatically turns on.

Years back I used to gig with a Boss ME70. One of the things I loved about it was the functionality of the built-in expression pedal - it was a volume pedal when switched off, then you could switch it on with a toe switch to control other effects per assignment. Can HXFX do the same?

IMO... the closest you can come to this is having the closest switch possible assigned to the Volume On/Off and Wah On/Off. The switch will toggle between them. It's the same principle as a toe switch, but it wouldn't be under the toe of the expression pedal. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, HonestOpinion said:

On 11/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, codamedia said:

No, this is not possible. You have to assign it on each preset. 

Toe Switch will not work with an HX Effects. 

All HX Models (including Helix) can operate by "auto on".... eg: When an expression reaching a threshold (eg: 5%) then the effect (eg: wah) automatically turns on.

IMO... the closest you can come to this is having the closest switch possible assigned to the Volume On/Off and Wah On/Off. The switch will toggle between them. It's the same principle as a toe switch, but it wouldn't be under the toe of the expression pedal. 

So in other words, there's no benefit to getting an expression pedal with a toe switch? If that's the case, I'll probably just keep my Crybaby. Instead of purchasing a new expression pedal, I will also try to see if I can setup to run my Dunlop volume pedal that I've used for years as an expression pedal using a stereo TRS cable. I'm so used to the feel and sweep of those Dunlop pedals, that would probably work best. Any knowledge on setting up the volume pedal that way?

So, a few more details and clarifications I learned. First, there is definitely no support for a toe switch on the HX Effects at present, although, supposedly, it may be enabled in future firmware or an updated product. Second, the Mission Engineering pedal with the switch does, in fact, have it on the toe (sorry if I was unclear on that earlier). Finally, and most importantly, after a quick chat with the Mission Engineering folks today I found out that you can easily remove the toe switch from the model that has one and, if at a later date you want to add it back in to use with a product that does support it, you can.

All you have to do is remove the bottom plate of the pedal, disconnect the wire connector and small circuit board attached to the switch, use 9/16" wrench to remove the bolt holding the toe switch and you're done. It obviously leaves a small circular hole where the switch was, but you can tape over it. I just did this earlier this evening and it was very easy and now the pedal works just fine. It also removes the feel of the toe switch at the bottom, slightly increases the throw of the pedal and gives me the flexibility to add it back later should I choose to do so.

Now, I can use the pedal as a volume pedal, wah, or to modulate virtually any other parameter in real time, so I think it does have real benefits over just a simple volume pedal.

Bottom line, my purchase "mistake" turned out to work quite well.

Hope this helps.

Bob

11 hours ago, jeffsharp0981 said:

So in other words, there's no benefit to getting an expression pedal with a toe switch?

Not for use on an HX Effects at this time.... but as @BobOD says above.... the functionality COULD be included on a future update. That doesn't mean it will!

11 hours ago, jeffsharp0981 said:

I will also try to see if I can setup to run my Dunlop volume pedal that I've used for years as an expression pedal using a stereo TRS cable. I'm so used to the feel and sweep of those Dunlop pedals, that would probably work best. Any knowledge on setting up the volume pedal that way?

Actually... Line 6 products use a TS connection, not a TRS. Some TRS cables Expressions work, but simply due to how they are wired inside with the TS, not the R :) 

This is the wiring for a Line 6 Expression pedal. The wiring is extremely basic, and the pot value can vary. Older Line 6 products didn't like to see anything other than a 10K pot, the HX devices are much more tolerant of higher values. 

line6.jpg.d19751a326758429987d20dddd0cdc8f.jpg