Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Block location in POD Go

hernan93

Hello Team. 

I realized many of my preferred patches in my X3 live had the Volume block after the Stompboxes+Amp modeling block. As you know the Volume block is the first (or second) one in the POD GO presets, so this make me question myself about the "right" or recommended position of the Volume block. Should it be in second place or should it be after the amp and cab modeling? What would be the advantages/disadvantages (or characteristics) of place the volume block in different locations?

Thank you in advance.

Hernan

At the front of the chain, before the amp block (and any distortion fx) the volume reduces volume but also gain. At the end of the chain (or at least after the amp block) it's pure volume control with no change in gain.  There's no right or wrong - just depends on what you want. I also like to set pod go on some patches so that expression pedal at the front end doesn't reduce volume per se but just gain from the amp.  It's a great way to add/reduce gain & you can set it either way eg patch starts high gain then heel back to reduce gain or vice-a versa. 

Agree with everything voxman55 said. Additional perspective is that putting it somewhere before the amp makes it more like a traditional analog guitar pedalboard set up. Put it after the amp is more like emulating a studio fader on the mixing console. Neither is right. They're just different flavors of approaching the thing. My personal preference for how I use Helix and POD Go is to have volume before the amp because I really like the subtle changes in gain as I sweep the volume pedal.