Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI playback device

Dyyk

I have my Helix rack hooked up to my computer via USB so I can use HX edit, but also via the analog outputs into my soundcard for recording in Cubase.

When I play a song Cubase uses the Helix as playback device for my midi-tracks, and since I have the analog outputs going into cubase it creates a feedback loop.

Is there any way to turn off all midi-functions in the Helix?

If you're Helix is hooked up to your PC via USB you can do everything from there, given that you have some speakers attached to the Helix.

If you have the Helix and a soundcard attached to your PC, your PC will only use one or the other for input and output which is determined by what is set up in your sound settings when you select that by right clicking on the little speaker icon at the lower right hand of your screen.

I'm not sure where MIDI comes into play here at all.  If you selected the Helix for sound input as described above it's going to play the audio signal from Cubase, not the MIDI.

In cubase i have my in/out set to my RME ASIO driver. If I have my helix turned off everything works as is should but if I turn it on it "hijacks" the output from miditracks that are set to wavetable (not tracks that are set to samlers/instruments). So if i turn the volume knob down om my helix it also lowers the volume of those midi tracks. I have checked the midi I/O in my cubase device setup and everything is set to RME.

The feedback like a doubled slightly delayed playback and a significant volume boost which feeds in to my soundcards analog input.

3 hours ago, Dyyk said:

In cubase i have my in/out set to my RME ASIO driver. If I have my helix turned off everything works as is should but if I turn it on it "hijacks" the output from miditracks that are set to wavetable (not tracks that are set to samlers/instruments). So if i turn the volume knob down om my helix it also lowers the volume of those midi tracks. I have checked the midi I/O in my cubase device setup and everything is set to RME.

The feedback like a doubled slightly delayed playback and a significant volume boost which feeds in to my soundcards analog input.

Assuming we're talking about a Windows machine, the Helix isn't doing anything other than announcing it's USB presence as a sound device and Windows is selecting it for a default output is my guess.  Regardless of what Cubase is doing, the active sound device is ultimately controlled by the operating system.  You should be able to select and control the active/default output device by right clicking on the speaker icon on the lower right hand corner of your PC screen.