Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bank down in 3.00 skips bank 1

peterhome

Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.00; HX Edit 3.00

Global Settings: Prefereces: Preset Numbering set to 01A-32D, Footswitches: set to “Preset/Snap” with “8 Switches”.

Bug: Bank Down skips Bank 1.  It goes straight to Bank 32.  Also, sometimes if higher up (IE bank 16, it will skip bank 15 and go to 14).

To duplicate:

1. Install HX Edit 3.00
  2. Run HX Edit and perform firmware update 3.00 from HX Edit
  3. All of my patches are in USER01.  Select that and hit bank up to bank 5.
  4. Hit bank down to try and get back to 1.  It goes to 32.

I reinstalled 2.92 and it doesn’t do this.  Bank up and Bank down is perfect.

Workaround is to go back up from Bank 32, so not so bad, just a pita.

• Upvote 1

Same issue.  Because I had no presets in my user Bank 32. My temporary workaround was to copy my presets from bank 1 to bank 32. When banking down skips bank 1 and goes to bank 32, The same presets from bank one are there. Not perfect, but it works for now until they have a fix

On 11/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, peterhome said:

Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.00; HX Edit 3.00

Global Settings: Prefereces: Preset Numbering set to 01A-32D, Footswitches: set to “Preset/Snap” with “8 Switches”.

Bug: Bank Down skips Bank 1.  It goes straight to Bank 32.  Also, sometimes if higher up (IE bank 16, it will skip bank 15 and go to 14).

To duplicate:

1. Install HX Edit 3.00
  2. Run HX Edit and perform firmware update 3.00 from HX Edit
  3. All of my patches are in USER01.  Select that and hit bank up to bank 5.
  4. Hit bank down to try and get back to 1.  It goes to 32.

I reinstalled 2.92 and it doesn’t do this.  Bank up and Bank down is perfect.

Workaround is to go back up from Bank 32, so not so bad, just a pita.

I can confirm this bug and nice writeup. Can tell you read the first post in the "Helix Bug Reports" topic.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Wondo100 said:

Fix this please. 

There are no Line 6 staff in here, only other HX users. You’re screaming into the void!

As stated here, and in many other places, this is a known bug.

If it’s a known issue, they will be working on it, and it’s not something that could be regarded as “mission critical” to the operation of your hardware.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

It may not be "mission critical" to some, but for me it's critical.  Most of the presets I use are in banks 32, 1 and 2, and occasionally I switch presets during songs.  I've already landed on the wrong preset due to this.  Of course, I could just downgrade and wait, which means losing the acoustic simulator pedal which happens to be really nice.

I came from a POD HD500X, so perhaps I'm using the Helix not optimally since I tried to imitate the POD usage, so I'm curious to hear how others use the Helix where this bug doesn't affect them -- maybe there's a better way for me to use it.

54 minutes ago, A999999999 said:

It may not be "mission critical" to some, but for me it's critical.  Most of the presets I use are in banks 32, 1 and 2, and occasionally I switch presets during songs. ....

Of course, you could simply organize your presets differently so that you avoid this 'mission critical' bug. Why not use Banks 1, 2, and 3 instead? Or any 3 banks that do not roll over from 32 to 1. You are choosing to suffer from this bug. Why?

• Like 1

It's a system that I've had in place for the past 6 years:  banks 1, 2, 3 etc are general purpose , banks 32 and under are song specific.  I got it from using the Fender mustang amps, which organized their factory presets this way, which I brought to the POD, and now to the Helix.  Yes, I could change my system (after doing it this way for so long, it's hard to change, although if Line 6 will fix this shortly, then I'd rather not change my system, but like I said I'm curious how others use presets where it seems like a minor issue, like it's no big deal going from 2 -> 32 -> 1.

It takes about two minutes using HX Edit to reorganize your presets to avoid this bug. When Line 6 fixes the bug you can go back to your familiar structure. Meantime it’s up to you whether or not you want to continue to be ‘bugged’ by this.

Seriously, what difference does the bank number make? Your familiarity is with changing banks using your foot. You know when you are in a general purpose vs. song oriented bank, and you’re very  familiar with the Up/Down switch pressing required to navigate back and forth. None of that changes whether the banks you use are numbered 31 to 4, or 14 to 20,  or any other of several consecutive banks. What’s important is maintaining consistency with your foot switch sequencing,  not the bank numbers.

• Like 2

I do not understand the tone of some of these posts in this thread.  Yes, I could redo my presets and will probably will have to due to this bug.  I try not to make too many changes before shows though I will have to in this case.  All i was trying to say is that this is a big deal to me (that's why I opened the ticket, made video, etc) and wondering why it's not a big deal for others -- do others not switch from 2 to 1?  Do others not have one row of buttons dedicated to presets?  etc.

It's up to you I guess to be "bugged" by my inquires.

The thread so far:

OP: "There's a bug!"

In the Know L6 user: "L6 is aware of the bug. They're working on it."

Other Posters: "It's TERRIBLE!" " IT'S Shocking!" "How could they! It's SOOO inconvenient!"

Forum Regulars: "It's a bug. They're working on it. Chill dudes! In the meantime, here's a workaround".

Other Posters: "I don't like your attitude!"

Humans.

• Haha 2

I'm not sure whether it's the same bug or a different one but I've set up 'Next Preset' and 'Previous Preset' switches in Command Centre on all my presets. When I hit the 'Next Preset' switch it jumps the next preset so I have to press 'Next Preset' then 'Previous Preset' to actually get to the next one. Really annoying when you're gigging and don't have gaps between some songs.

10 hours ago, A999999999 said:

I do not understand the tone of some of these posts in this thread.  Yes, I could redo my presets and will probably will have to due to this bug.  I try not to make too many changes before shows though I will have to in this case.  All i was trying to say is that this is a big deal to me (that's why I opened the ticket, made video, etc) and wondering why it's not a big deal for others -- do others not switch from 2 to 1?  Do others not have one row of buttons dedicated to presets?  etc.

It's up to you I guess to be "bugged" by my inquires.

For what its worth this is a bug that should be fixed quickly and I think it will be. Surprising it was not caught in beta as it is such a basic piece of functionality.  Maybe so obvious no one thought to look for it. Bet they will next time. Or perhaps Line6 knew about it but determined that hitting their release date with a later bug fix to follow was a preferred path. It is almost comical to see a device this powerful and sophisticated, having just delivered polyphonic processing, unable to scroll properly through its own banks. You know that was not their intention.

Others may not be feeling your sense of urgency as thankfully it is a bug with a simple workaround that imposes a minor or no inconvenience on most players. Personally I thought this would get fixed in the 3.01.0 release but they were trying to address an urgent issue with corrupted output and perhaps this bug is more deeply embedded than it would appear at first blush. It might have required more time, effort, and QA then they could afford before releasing the other, much more critical, bugfix in 3.01.0..  Hang in there, a fix is surely coming(probably in short order) and in the meantime, as I'm sure you already know, the 3.0 update has some awesome new features to explore.  Although minor in the scheme of things this is very visible; not an esoteric bug only impacting a couple of users. You can safely assume Line6 is well aware of it and driving themselves to get this resolved.  I sincerely doubt any additional urging from users will be required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to those who are assisting, I appreciate the help.

I too was pretty surprised by this bug, and in fact I thought it was something I did.  I usually don't do updates before a practice or a show but 3.0 has so many toys that I couldn't resist and updated before practice.  Of course I got the wrath from other band members when I switched to wrong preset the first time.. I figured I hit the bank down switch twice by accident.  Some of those guys get nervous around any instrument technology that's been developed within the century as it is.

Renumbering my presets is a big deal for me, but since others don't see this issue as a big deal, I was just asking their settings, maybe I could learn a different way to do things.  Yes I opened a support ticket with Line 6 and know they will address it (I was really hoping 3.01 would have had it).  Actually it was line 6's quality support that convinced me to jump from the HD500X to Helix .

Anyway, this "Other Poster" thanks everyone for their input :)

2 hours ago, A999999999 said:

Thank you to those who are assisting, I appreciate the help.

I too was pretty surprised by this bug, and in fact I thought it was something I did.  I usually don't do updates before a practice or a show but 3.0 has so many toys that I couldn't resist and updated before practice.  Of course I got the wrath from other band members when I switched to wrong preset the first time.. I figured I hit the bank down switch twice by accident.  Some of those guys get nervous around any instrument technology that's been developed within the century as it is.

Renumbering my presets is a big deal for me, but since others don't see this issue as a big deal, I was just asking their settings, maybe I could learn a different way to do things.  Yes I opened a support ticket with Line 6 and know they will address it (I was really hoping 3.01 would have had it).  Actually it was line 6's quality support that convinced me to jump from the HD500X to Helix .

Anyway, this "Other Poster" thanks everyone for their input :)

All I can offer in the way of a different way to do things is you can copy and paste multiple presets at one time by highlighting them so depending on how full your setlist is you could potentially move an entire setlist up one bank in one fell swoop.  Should take less than 30 seconds. Just highlight and copy the presets you need to move all at one time, select the starting slot for your move and paste. Keep in mind you will overwrite the presets below the paste point depending on how many slots you have available vs. how many presets you are pasting. Good idea to backup the setlist and even the individual presets(those can also be highlighted and exported all at once as individual files) first in case you get something wrong in the cut & paste operation. 

Another way to do this operation would be to copy all your presets to a different empty User setlist, again starting at the second bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulTBaker said:

I think this may be more of a button issue.  I have had the same issue in the past versions as well.  you hit bank down and it skips two banks.  

You're right that can happen on occasion with a dirty or failing switch but in the 3.0 and 3.01.0 firmware this is definitely a known bug.

• 4 weeks later...