Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX/FX as IR loader for VOX MV50

vertigo84

Hi all,

I’d like to use the IR loading function of the HX with a vox MV50.

My ideal chain would be:

external overdrive pedal -> HX for delay, reverb, etc, -> Vox MV50 input -> Vox MV50 line out -> HX for IR -> out to scarlett or PA

Is this possible?

Thank you!

With the HX effects I don’t have two separate outputs.

I’ve tried this:

Guitar -> External overdrive into helix input -> HX send 1 to MV50 input -> MV line out to HX return 1 -> HX out to audio interface.

In the Helix path I’ve put:

2 blocks for ambient effects (that should be before the amp) -> send 1 -> return 1 -> IR as last block in the chain

Does it make sense?

Thank you

13 hours ago, vertigo84 said:

My ideal chain would be:

external overdrive pedal -> HX for delay, reverb, etc, -> Vox MV50 input -> Vox MV50 line out -> HX for IR -> out to scarlett or PA

The only caveat I'd like to add is that the Line Out on the MV50 already has cabinet simulation... so in theory would be adding a cabinet to a cabinet. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just isn't conventional. 

3 hours ago, vertigo84 said:

2 blocks for ambient effects (that should be before the amp) -> send 1 -> return 1 -> IR as last block in the chain

That works.... but keep in mind if you are placing "send 1 > return 2" back to back on the HX... you could replace those with a single "Loop" which handles both duties within one block.. Since that frees up a block, you also have the option of running your external OD in the 2nd loop.

Is it just a preference to run your ambient effect before the amp? Most would run those after - but there is no right or wrong. 

3 hours ago, vertigo84 said:

With the HX effects I don’t have two separate outputs.

@rd2rk is correct, you actually do. If you drop the IR to the lower path and PAN the upper/lower paths appropriately one output would include the IR, the other would not! If you don't need that option don't worry about it, but it is there. 

• Upvote 1