Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 helix update help please

Familiazam1

So I’m trying to update my helix and I downloaded the firmware on hx edit but for some reason , my helix isn’t updating. I’m stuck on “firmware downloaded successfully”. The display screen isn’t changing to the update stage. Does anyone know how to fix this issue ? 

16 hours ago, phil_m said:

I would close HX Edit and restart the Helix. You can try sending the update in HX Edit again, but if it still gives you trouble, try using Line 6 Updater instead.

Hey, I tried using line 6 updater but it still won’t actually update my helix 

1 hour ago, Familiazam1 said:

Have you tried downloading and installing HX Edit 3.0 before updating your firmware? Also phil_m's suggestion of using the Updater instead of HX Edit to update your firmware? Did you have HX Edit up or maybe even Native(never heard of this interfering with an update but who knows) while you were running the standalone Updater? If so shut down HX Edit for the duration of the update.

Edit: See datacommando's post below.

1 hour ago, Familiazam1 said:

Hi,

This is the official Line 6 word on how to fix a failed install which was posted in the Knowledge Base section of these forums.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

The full update process is described here.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

I solved the problem by uninstalling HX Edit. Then I reinstalled it.

First, though, I think you need to restart your computer. HX Edit is probably running, so you can't uninstall.

So, reboot your computer.

Uninstall HX Edit using the HX Edit Uninstaller.

You could reboot again.

Reinstall the new HX Edit 3.0.

**I would also suggest plugging the Helix into the PC before you start the install. Also have the Helix turned on. So you want a live connection before you run the install.  

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

This is the official Line 6 word on how to fix a failed install which was posted in the Knowledge Base section of these forums.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

Thank you guys so much! After following these steps , my helix finally started going through the process for the update. I had to turn off and on my helix without the usb plugged in. Though I have another question but I’m pretty sure I can find the answer in other posts, but the question is that how come in the updater , it only provided 2.92 instead of 3.0

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Familiazam1 said:

Thank you guys so much! After following these steps , my helix finally started going through the process for the update. I had to turn off and on my helix without the usb plugged in. Though I have another question but I’m pretty sure I can find the answer in other posts, but the question is that how come in the updater , it only provided 2.92 instead of 3.0

That’s good news, you are up and running. Yay! Now you can finally explore all those new toys that the Line 6 team added - FREE!

Oh, yeah - the Line 6 Updater is actually at version 1.19 (released 3/12/20), because it is also used for updating other items in the Line 6 product range, eg: Firehawk, Powercab, Spider and Relay etc. 

15 hours ago, datacommando said:

I have not updated my helix LT because we are finishing a record session. But this post from @Digital_Igloo tends to say that upgraging the firmware restores absolutely all the custom configuration. Is this true ?

I mean, do we really have to perform a FULL backup (not only patches), upgrade, then restore the backup ? What I would like is updating my helix LT from 2.92 to V3.00, without losing my patches, but updating the factory presets. So far, what I have understood is :

- backup my custom patches / setlists

- update HxEdit

- Update the helix LT firmware from HxEdit

- Press some voodoo knobs to restore the factory presets at start

- Restore my patches/setlist backup.

- done ?

Is this ok ? Or do I really need a full system backup/restore ?

Thanks by advance.

Yes you should make a system backup as part of the firmware update through HX Edit, and then restore it after the update. This will restore all your custom global settings. But following that you don’t need to use the voodoo button pushes with a restart. You can simply replace the old Factory setlists with the new by downloading them from here:

Thanks a lot for the confirmation regarding the backup. Avoiding the voodoo trick is even better. Thanks for mentioning this post.

It's the first time I will update the helix (well second time, but I have updated right after purchase), I find it a bit confusing that the fact that updating the firmware erases all the custom configuration. It's not mentioned in the download page

https://line6.com/software/index.html and not everybody crawls this forum.

Some may have surprises...

2 hours ago, meshubben said:

I find it a bit confusing that the fact that updating the firmware erases all the custom configuration.

Hi, 

Well, as you are essentially doing a "brain transplant" in the hardware, some things are going to get wiped. Globals get reset as part of the firmware update and for the couple of minutes that it takes to perform the back up and restore it's not that inconvenient for a "Fail Safe" routine.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Yep, I don't mean it's a complicated operation, I'm just confused it's not that well documented in the release note, and quite a bit unexpected. We could easily imagine the upgrade progress doing the backup and restore by itself :) Not so strange for me. Upgrading my phone OS does not wipe all my contacts :)

Thanks all for your previous help, I hope I can upgrade ASAP!

• Like 1