Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recommend me some sweet guitar ≥ faux bass presets

StaccoP2P

I've been trying things with the octavers and pitch  shifters and I'm not getting as good results as I did with my H.O.G. I'm not all that knowledgeable on bass signal routing, compression and EQ so I'd love some jumping off points to experiment with.

Ideally, I'd like to find something that gets near EHX's Bass 9:

Hello again! Has anyone pulled this off successfully? Poly pitch and capo are not doing it for me, so me maybe some Mono OC3-style goodness will do the trick. I'm still highly curious to see whether there's a preset for this.

Like many I'm forced to record on my own now and I'd much rather fake bass parts playing the guitar than the keyboard.

21 minutes ago, StaccoP2P said:

Has anyone pulled this off successfully?

I haven't done much experiments on the guitar yet, but since I also play bass guitar, I've been working on a few presets to simulate a bass synth sound, including Whammy to go octave down, etc. So far I've kept it just monophonic though.

To get a stable sound without too many glitches, what definitely helps is – in about this order – noise gate on the input block, 3-band parametric EQ, compressor, and yet another noise gate.

Also, on my HX Stomp, I'm generally getting better results with the "legacy" pitch effects, likely due to limited DSP power.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been experimenting with the HX Stomp tonight to get a fake bass sound out of my Les Paul. Only in headphones for now.

Some findings:

• Poly Pitch gives me much better results than Poly Capo. Especially useful also because it can go beyond -12; my bass guitars are usually tuned D-G-C-F, whereas my guitar is either in E for one band, or in Eb for another band. So I can use snapshots to set the Poly Pitch either to -11, -12 or -13, depending on which tuning the Les Paul is in, and which bass guitar tuning I want to emulate.
  • Acoustic Sim is pretty helpful to shape the tone at the beginning of the path, it can give it a more double bass feel.
  • Two Deluxe Comps in action: one before the pitch, set to hard limiting to for a jazzy, almost fretless attack, another one at the end to glue the sound with a relatively soft compression. Deluxe Comp doesn't need much DSP, hence there's space for two.
  • Del Sol 300 with 8×10 Ampeg as A+C, because that's the least DSP hungry bass amp with a flexible EQ built in, leaving enough DSP power for other blocks.
  • Tried to implement Autoswell for a cello effect but… meh: it just doesn't work as I'd expect it to work, and so I lost patience after about an hour or so including forum search which confirmed my disappointment with it. Eventually settled on the Adriatic Swell delay (!) instead which can be turned into an autoswell as well. Vintage Swell or Auto-Volume Echo can be also used; the results are slightly different which can be a Good Thing™ on appropriate occasions. To make the cello effect more acoustic, I put the Amp on a parallel path in order to run the cello unaffected by it, using Split A/B to switch, and a Parametric EQ to shape the sound instead of Amp+Cab.
  • Still got one block free. But only Gain or Volume to choose from now… :D

As usual, block sequence matters. There are no definite rules, so I'm still shuffling around to find out what sounds better to me.