Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing tubes

lespaul678

Thank you for your concern.  I appreciate it.  I do have the exact replacement tubes, but you did not answer my question.  You're supposed to bias an amp after replacing the tubes and I do not see the number in the user manual for what to set the bias to.  I need that number for the HD100 Valve, Spider, Bogner amp head.

• 4 months later...

That is for FX loop or separating out the pre and power stages as some people do. It's a typical feature in all kinds of amps

and even stereo system.

There's a digital board with patches and effects, that sends the audio signal to the tube amp board. The amp board sends a

signal back to the digital board. It keeps the signal from going out of wack and blowing something.

I can't get anymore specific and deeper than that.

If I seem vague, it's because your getting into circuit level questions I can't get into with an end user.

Proprietary NDA stuff. Not allowed to get any deeper than I already have.

Need to use the specified tubes, or it runs the risk of ending up on my repair bench,... and I'm trying to avoid that.

Being a service tech here at Line 6, I speak from lots of experience with these amps here.

40 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

I do know, I'm just not allowed to get into with someone other than a Line 6 authorized service tech.

Sorry.

No need to apologize for adhering to your NDA, imho. There are things you know that you can’t share publicly. Not difficult to understand.

Yes, true.

Also don't want people probing in these amps, as they are touchy due to the hybrid analog/digital nature, and there is that high voltage hazard risk.

I imagine you've been zapped a number of times too.

It's not like our amp is in Aspen Pittman's tube amp book. He was a cool guy, founder of Groove Tube and a total tube amp nut. I miss him.

20 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Seven amps,... very good.

I'm extremely happy with the results I get from the Helix>DT combination. I was late to the party so I started with the DT25 HD a few years ago and wanted to try its big brother so I ordered a refurbished DT50 HD from Line 6 (sadly the only one that doesn't work... something in it died). After that I just started acquiring them whenever I found a great deal (cheap and barely used) so now I have 3x DT50 HDs & 1x DT50112 and 2x DT25 HDs & 1x DT25 112. Also, 2x DT50 4X12 cabs which I love. I hope to keep these amps running for a long time (that is, unless L6 comes out with a new version... :-) ) I also own a PC+ 112 & 212, just because I may want to gig again someday and I've found they are gig friendlier. 

IMG_0583.jpg

nice!  what a great look!  I also love the DT25.  I have two of them.  One bricked trying to upgrade to 2.0 to use with the helix.  I did change the tubes (correct tubes!) and set the bias a few times.  Very Very Carefully!

My problem was the DT25, at least in my case, was/is so fragile.  I bought a PC 112+ and used it this past weekend.  I am really happy with that for gigging.  It is much lighter and feels more sturdy.