Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Major cleaning and IR question

KRTW

My Helix is getting up there in age and use. Sometimes the volume pedal squeeks. Sometimes the footswitches just don't respond. I believe it just needs a major clean. So how do you do this? Should I have it serviced by pro's? Your advice appreciated. Because of Covid, my band has not been doing anything, but I'm getting ready to record an album, and to record on a few other albums. Just updated to 3.0 - but I think I may use about 20 to 30 % of the capabilities on this unit. Have time to delve deeper and so over the next few weeks will be doing so.

How useful are IRs? I have none, never used any. There seems to be so many parameters already adjustable that adding IRs seems over the top - but I have no idea, and am happy to change my mind. 

Any feedback most appreciated.

I pretty much exclusively use IRs, but not because I can't do what I need with stock cabinets, but because it's simply faster and easier to use IRs because I tend to have LOTS of presets..pretty close to 300 at last count.  Once you settle in on the variation of IRs that you are most likely to use (what mics, mic combinations, and placements), it's a simple matter of auditioning the various ones with a preset and selecting the one that seems to be the best fit.  No tweaking of parameters at all and you just move on to completing the other aspects of the preset.

As far as cleaning and service, I've had my Helix almost from the day they came out and gig with mine 1 or 2 times every week, plus practice and prepare for gigs, so I get a lot of use.  Cleaning it is pretty easy, the footswitches are self-cleaning with a few twists, and although I've never had a pedal squeak, that should just be a dash of lubricant, so I'd do it myself.

"As far as cleaning and service, I've had my Helix almost from the day they came out and gig with mine 1 or 2 times every week, plus practice and prepare for gigs, so I get a lot of use.  Cleaning it is pretty easy, the footswitches are self-cleaning with a few twists, and although I've never had a pedal squeak, that should just be a dash of lubricant, so I'd do it myself".

And you have never had a switch not respond? So just turning the top of the footswitches cleans them? I'll try. Thanks a lot for the post.

As Dunedin Dragon says, IRs really are quite awesome. Once you dial some in, you will be surprised at how the Helix comes alive. Not that the stock cabs are not good, they can be but once you have found a couple of IRs you like, you will tend to use them almost all of the time because they are what you found to bring the amps alive. I love using them and am always thankful to the developers to make the Helix that much better.