Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI to itself?

ribribeiro

Hi, folks.

Is it possible for the Command Center options in HX Stomp to send a MIDI signal to the Stomp itself?

I'm trying to do something I think a lot of people want: tap tempo on a preset (i.e., not globally). So if you go to a specific preset that needs tap tempo, use Command Center to assign say FS1 to send a CC toggle message (64:64) to the Stomp itself, which would be a tap tempo message. So you could have FS1 as tap tempo on a given preset and as whatever else on other presets. It wouldn't blink with the tempo, but that's fine.

I tried to do this and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'd need to use a MIDI cable to loop the MIDI out to the MIDI in, but I don't have one. If anyone out there does have one and could test it out, that would be great. Then I'd buy a tiny MIDI cable for myself.

Thanks a lot!

I believe setting tap tempo to preset means that each preset has its own tempo stored. I want to use a FS as tap tempo in one or two presets, but not all.

Is there another way to do this which I'm missing? I though the only supported option was to have a FS as tap/tuner for all presets.

59 minutes ago, ribribeiro said:

Maybe I'd need to use a MIDI cable to loop the MIDI out to the MIDI in, but I don't have one. If anyone out there does have one and could test it out, that would be great. Then I'd buy a tiny MIDI cable for myself.

This is exactly what you need to do. I don't have a stomp, but I used to do this on my Helix LT and it works fine. 

When you do this there is an important step you need to make... turn off "MIDI PC RECEIVE" and/or "MIDI PC SEND" in the Global Settings. One or both of those needs to be off! Make sure MIDI THRU is turned off while you are at it... you don't need any messages repeating themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

This is exactly what you need to do. I don't have a stomp, but I used to do this on my Helix LT and it works fine. 

When you do this there is an important step you need to make... turn off "MIDI PC RECEIVE" and/or "MIDI PC SEND" in the Global Settings. One or both of those needs to be off! Make sure MIDI THRU is turned off while you are at it... you don't need any messages repeating themselves. 

Cool, thanks! I'll have to buy a MIDI cable, then.

Have a nice day!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ribribeiro said:

Is it possible for the Command Center options in HX Stomp to send a MIDI signal to the Stomp itself?

I was trying to set it up just last week. It doesn't work.

Maybe I'd need to use a MIDI cable to loop the MIDI out to the MIDI in

That's exactly what I tried in the end, and it works.

Actually I wanted to post my experiment here this week, but now you beat me to it…

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

Yep. It took me some time to figure out why it didn't work at first, but you're spot on.

I want to use a FS as tap tempo in one or two presets, but not all.

Exactly.

Nonetheless, in the end I have set it all up differently though:

I'm already using the MIDI In port for Disaster Area DMC.micro. And I'm also using the EXP input for different purposes already.

But the DMC.micro has a multi-purpose jack I/O for yet another external tap tempo footswitch! Having got spare "antique" footswitches à go go in my studio, that's what I ended up with.

Still, internal MIDI woud be a welcome addition since for certain live applications I'd like to keep my setup as simple as possible, using just the Stomp without any external add-ons.

Since the 3.0 update, having 8 blocks means that I can do pretty much everything I want in the Stomp, so I got an Exp pedal and an external FS to replace my previous Wah/Vol pedal. I was thinking about getting MIDI to do some other stuff (like tap tempo), but I really like the idea of not needing a fancy power supply (also, MIDI controllers are pricy!). This litttle hack now completed my current needs, so I got the Stomp standalone with its stock power supply for all my pedals/amp needs. Pretty cool. Two years ago I had like 9 pedals on my board. Now I just carry the Stomp and cables in a canvas bag. Made a decent amount of my money back selling the pedals. Oh, plus the heavy and noisy tube amp I got rid off.

I think instead of internal MIDI they should simply let people configure their footswitches more flexibly, but I guess this is what the command center does, so I'm happy!

Posted this a while back so it is getting a little long in the tooth but you might find an idea in it and it has a link for an unofficial Helix MIDI guide. If you come up with any cool loopback ideas feel free to post them over there. Was attempting to gather them up in one place for easier reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1