Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Effects/Pedals in Effects Loop

C4TH

Hi,

I've got a few external pedals in a Morningstar ML-5 loop switcher that I want to place in the effects loop of my amp, and was wondering where it's best to place them.

I'm running my amp and HX in 4CM. Would it be best to place the ML5 in between -

HX left output > ML5 input > ML5 output > Amp Return.

Or

HX Return > ML5 input > ML5 Output > Amp Send

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 4:17 PM, axelmoyablanco said:

Hey men, I need your help.
I just bought an ML5, and I don't know how to make it work in the snapshot mode of the HX EFFECTS.

Help me please jeje

Send me a mail:

axelmoyaguitar@gmail.com

How have you got it running with your HX and other pedals?

• 8 months later...

Hi!

Could someone help me how to set the Morningstar ML5 up with HX Effects?

So far I have got the ML5 to switch loops if I´m pressing the six different switches on HX FX. My problem is that I can not save the settings that I´m doing. I would like the ML5 to work with different snapshots in a preset. For example, I would like to have one overdrive working on snapshot 1 and another overdrive on snapshot 2. 

Thanks!

Johan

Hi!

I can´t find where I see if I´m saving by snapshot, preset or global. I can only see that my snapshot saving is set to recall. 

I have updated the software to the latest 3.15 and there is a feature in command center that I have in my old manual that I can not find in 3.15. It´s the CC toggle. Don´t know if that feature is important to program snapshots with the ML5. 

I would really appreciate if there is any clip on youtube that could give me a hint how to do this cause it will not save the things I´m doing. Now it jumps between loops in different snapshots and I really do not know why. 

/Johan

I found the CC toggle and the unit work better with that than the Midi CC. 

When I save snapshots in a preset now, I can get it to work as I want. My problem now is that if I change preset to another preset and then go back to the preset that I have saved, the HX FX does not remember what I have saved. If I change preset and go back the ML5 opens up different loops that I don´t want to have in that snapshot. 

/Johan

If you go to the top right hand corner of HX edit next to the tempo setting, you can select preset, snapshot or global. Leave your setting on recall.

Have you programmed the ML5 loops for your pedals?

I don’t use CC toggle. Instead I use Bank/Program on the instants (lightning bolts).

I have mine set as -

Snapshot 1

MIDI Channel 2

Bank cc00 64

Bank cc00 Off

Program (ML5 loop) 1

Wait Time 0ms

Hit Save

Snapshot 2

MIDI Channel 2

Bank cc00 64

Bank cc00 Off

Program (ML5 loop) 2

Wait Time 0ms

Hit Save

I doing this off memory at the moment, so I hope it makes sense. Let me know how you get on.

I started with powering the ML5 up by holding down A, C and E. This should reset the ML5 to factory settings and the midi channel to channel 1. I have not tried to program the ML5 yet. 

I will continue tomorrow. My brain is full now and can not work as it should. 

I´m grateful for your help and as I said, I will get on working with it tomorrow after work. 

Best regards

Johan

Hi!

How do you program the ML5 for the loops?

When I try to make settings on the Instants (lightning bults) I can not get them to react in any way. Do you know how this should work? When I´m on the first Instant there is a button that says "Instant 1" but when I press that button, nothing happens. 

Thanks for the help!

/Johan

I’m assuming you have the ML5 connected up correctly to your HX.

Simplest way to start is to forget about the ML5 for now.

Create a preset call it “test” or something, then create two snapshots within that preset snapshot 1 (rhythm) snapshot 2 (solo). Forget about the other two snapshots for now.

Then go to Command Centre. Click on Footswitch 1 then go to HX snapshot 

Press - snapshot 1

Release - snapshot1 

then hit save 

Repeat this process for “solo” on footswitch 2

then hit save

Once you’ve done that and have those snapshots saved in that preset, then let me know and I’ll try and help with the instants.

Hi!

I´m really grateful that you have taken the time to try and help with the HX Effects and the ML5. 

I think I got it now. I did like this: 

First I updated both the HX Effects and the HX Edit to 3.15. After that I started trying the instants out. I saw Mason of Vertex Effects connect his HX Effects to one ML5 and he was talking about midi CC6 to midi CC10. That´s why my brain only understood that I should use midi CC6 to CC10. When I tried this I could get snapshot 1 to control loop A and snapshot 2 to control loop B but when I once again hit snapshot 1 the HX only turned loop A off. 

When this didn´t work I once again read the ML5 manual and got to know that I could use midi CC1 to midi CC5 but then I needed to put value in. So now I use five instants in a preset. I put the first one to midi CC1 and if I want the loop A to be active I turn the value up to 127.  The rest instants, midi CC 2-5 I put in value 0 if I only want loop A to be active. Would I like loop B and loop E to be active at the same time, I put value 127 in on instant 2 (midi CC 2) and instant 5 (midi CC 5) and the rest instants have value 0. 

I hope you understand what I´ve been trying to explain. I have tried to make different presets, copying a preset to another and they both work as I want them to do now. 

My next problem/adventure with the HX Effects will be to use two amps and use them in a dry-dry/wet configuration. I have tried this before but then I could see that the dry/wet amp had some latency and that will cause phase issues that I don´t want. 

Once again, a big thanks for all the help!

Best regards

Johan

Sweden

Hi!

I want to ask you one more question if it´s ok?

When you use the Morningstar ML5, do you have it in an Effects loop or do you have one Send and one Return in the signal flow? I have tried both but can not tell any difference besides that when I have the ML5 in an effects loop I can save one space for another drive or other effect. 

Have a great weekend!

Johan