Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Failed firmware update & "bricked" device

fry57

Hi There, 

I received my HX stomp today (first HX device), and it failed during the firmware update. The device seemed bricked, I couldn't get it to either update, restore the factory settings, or boot normally.

I then tried something out of the blue - downgrading the line6 updater to the 1.18 version. Not sure why I tried this as it doesn't really make any sense, but the firmware update worked like a charm from there on.

I saw many topics related to failed firmware update and bricked devices, so I thought I would share this experience in case it helps other to solve this issue, should it present itself.

happy modelling !

Just picked up a 'used' floor unit as an upgrade to my LT... same issue.  I think the unit was on v2.3 - already had HX Edit 3.0 installed so did a backup of the floor and went for it - 'update failed - entered update mode'.  HX Edit wouldn't detect the Helix any more o I tied rolling back Edit to 2.81 then 2.82 with no joy.

As above, opened the old 'Updater' I still had installed and 3.0 installed without any issues :-)

4 hours ago, fry57 said:

I saw many topics related to failed firmware update and bricked devices, 

Only because most people are morons and want to cry bricked at the first sign of trouble....im sure about .01% of those threads were actually "bricked" 

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, blackiemnoir said:

Just picked up a 'used' floor unit as an upgrade to my LT... same issue.  I think the unit was on v2.3 - already had HX Edit 3.0 installed so did a backup of the floor and went for it - 'update failed - entered update mode'.  HX Edit wouldn't detect the Helix any more o I tied rolling back Edit to 2.81 then 2.82 with no joy.

As above, opened the old 'Updater' I still had installed and 3.0 installed without any issues :-)

Glad to see you got this figured out. Just one note, it is generally a good idea to download/install the latest version of Updater if you are going to the latest firmware version.

5 hours ago, willjrock said:

Only because most people are morons and want to cry bricked at the first sign of trouble....im sure about .01% of those threads were actually "bricked" 

I had a failed update, bricked.  Floor would not even go into update mode.  Line 6 support did not solve either.  Finally fixed likely with the disconnect,  power off, on reconnect method mentioned in other threads.  Friends Stomp failed update today as well.  Took multiple times to get it to work.  There is something up, a bug, with the update.  I hope they figure it out.  I Have owned helix since Oct 2015, never had it fail once.  Now twice on same update...

9 hours ago, Joepeggio said:

I had a failed update, bricked.  Floor would not even go into update mode.  Line 6 support did not solve either.  Finally fixed likely with the disconnect,  power off, on reconnect method mentioned in other threads.  Friends Stomp failed update today as well.  Took multiple times to get it to work.  There is something up, a bug, with the update.  I hope they figure it out.  I Have owned helix since Oct 2015, never had it fail once.  Now twice on same update...

If its fixable its not bricked, hence the term, making your device as useful as a brick.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Glad to see you got this figured out. Just one note, it is generally a good idea to download/install the latest version of Updater if you are going to the latest firmware version.

Well, that's the thing - as far as I was concerned (and it seemed to be solution for @blackiemnoir as well) the bug as actually in the latest version of the updater somehow. I know it's usually best to use latest software, but regressions exists - and it might worth a shot sometimes.

no problem with updating to 3.01 with the latest HX edit software though

On 12/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, willjrock said:

If its fixable its not bricked, hence the term, making your device as useful as a brick.

this is why I put in quotes in my original message. it felt like the device was completely unresponsive. the fact that there is no visual feedback on the device when entering update mode doesn't help to soothe users who might thing their shiny toy is out of order

11 hours ago, fry57 said:

this is why I put in quotes in my original message. it felt like the device was completely unresponsive. the fact that there is no visual feedback on the device when entering update mode doesn't help to soothe users who might thing their shiny toy is out of order

I just think people are quick to assume the worst. Thats all. It can come off as a bit immature. Especially when there are 12 different threads claiming "bricked".....and then to see that 99% of the cases are easily fixed. It just gets old. No offense.

• Like 1