Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Need better understanding of Impulse Responses

drumfool56871

So I feel kind of dumb having to ask this because it seems that everyone that has the Helix understands it just fine. I've looked on these forums and YouTube to try and demystify them to no avail.

I purchased the Rectifier Amp Pack and Mega Oversized Cab Pack from ML Sounds Labs on a whim this past weekend since they had a Black Friday sale.

I am having trouble understanding how to use them and am hoping someone can either answer my questions here or point me in the right direction.  Please bear with me as I have only had the Helix for a couple of weeks.

1.  Why is the amp pack a preset (.hlx format) versus the .wav format for the MO Cab pack?

2.  Are the two possible to use in conjunction with each other somehow?

3.  When I load one of the Rectifier Amp Pack presets it automatically loads a stock Cali Rectifier amp along with an Impulse Response.  I guess this is where my lack of understanding of IRs is apparent.  Why would it load a stock amp if the ML Sounds Labs amp pack is meant to take its place?

Thanks so much in advance.  

1. The amp pack is a set of actual Helix presets that use the Helix Cali Rectifier amp model. Hence the .hlx format.

2. Yes. You can usually replace the Helix preset Cab model with any purchased IR.

3. A1) IRs are usually used to replace a stock Cab but sometimes they are used to augment a stock cab, meaning both should be used toghether. Perhaps ML Sound Labs has used this approach in their MO Cab Pack. Or, the Rectifier Amp Pack presets are designed so that you can choose to use either the stock cab or the IR in the same preset, selecting between them with, for instance, a footswitch. You'd have to inspect the preset structure to answer this question.

3. A2) Don't know exactly how this purchase is structured, but if you can purchase the Amp Pack without the IR pack then the preset files have to be able to stand alone, using a stock cab without an IR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, drumfool56871 said:

So I feel kind of dumb having to ask this because it seems that everyone that has the Helix understands it just fine. ....

... and you shouldn’t feel dumb at all. If you think everyone understands it just fine you’re wrong. They just don’t ask, perhaps because they might feel kind of dumb.....

But because you have asked the question hopefully you understand a little better. And you have helped some silent readers who may also benefit from this.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, drumfool56871 said:

Why would it load a stock amp if the ML Sounds Labs amp pack is meant to take its place?

Don't let the name (amp packs) fool you... they are not selling you NEW AMPS, they are just selling you Presets of the Stock Amps that exist within the Helix. The stock amp it loads likely doesn't include a cabinet... that is where the IR comes in! 

The IR's that comes with the purchase are the speaker cabinets. If you don't load these, the preset will not find the correct IR and will not sound like it should! 

20 hours ago, drumfool56871 said:

When I load one of the Rectifier Amp Pack presets it automatically loads a stock Cali Rectifier amp along with an Impulse Response.  

When the amp packs were first introduced it was up to you (the person that bought and loaded them) to match the preset with the IR location. Line 6 has since updated the Helix so a preset "FINDS" the IR (by name) as long as you loaded it on the machine. If the preset did not throw you an error (about the IR) then it is likely loading the one it needs.