Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

12 String Parameters

JimGordon

The 12 string effect is pretty awesome, but I'm not entirely sure what the bass and treble parameters do.  Are these straight up EQ controls, or are they for adjusting the balance and prominence of the effect (the virtual "2nd string") on the "bass strings" and "treble strings" (i.e. the bottom and top 3 strings respectively)?

I do not think there is much info around on these parameters. Jason Sadites suggests keeping the bass parameter low, and I would agree with that. It is indeed a pretty awesome effect. Previously I was using the POG2 for 12 string emulation, but this one sounds really good to me. 

Thanks- I couldn't find any videos specific to the 12 string on Jason's channel, but I found a section tucked away near the end of one of his more general videos.  He seems to indicate that it is an EQ, as opposed to a frequency-specific balance control.

I was surprised how well this effect works; given that 12 strings  have separate tunings for the top 2 strings, I was dubious about an effect that could do this without using some kind of hex-pickup that processes individual strings.  Basically, this free upgrade is a substitute for paying thousands of dollars for a Gibson Custom Shop EDS doubleneck, or at the very least, a Rickenbacker.  While I'm sure "the real thing" is discernably more organic sounding, it's "good enough" as far as I'm concerned for my needs now.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I'm a bit late to this thread, but am I missing something? To my ears, the 12 string simulator sounds pretty awful. All I can hear is a wah-wah-wah-wah-wah when picking notes.

As an example, Watch this video, the sound I'm talking about starts at the 3:13 mark when he's using the Ibanez, but it's a lot more pronounced when I try it.

If anybody has some signal chain recommendations that would help please let me know. I really want to be able to use this block, but it just doesn't sound right.

Also, having viewed Paul Hindmarsh's video, I thought I'll have some of that Poly Pitch and Poly Capo goodness and download his patch from customtone.

Nope, sounds nothing like his tone at all. Ok, I appreciate that he is probably going straight into a DAW through an interface, and it's been all nicely mastered to sound amazing, but I can't get even close to it. 

Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this?

On a positive note though, the acoustic Sim is fantastic, it's one of the few effects that I missed from my old Boss GT10 and GT100.

10 hours ago, barnsleyboy said:

Sorry if I'm a bit late to this thread, but am I missing something? To my ears, the 12 string simulator sounds pretty awful. All I can hear is a wah-wah-wah-wah-wah when picking notes.

As an example, Watch this video, the sound I'm talking about starts at the 3:13 mark when he's using the Ibanez, but it's a lot more pronounced when I try it.

If anybody has some signal chain recommendations that would help please let me know. I really want to be able to use this block, but it just doesn't sound right.

Also, having viewed Paul Hindmarsh's video, I thought I'll have some of that Poly Pitch and Poly Capo goodness and download his patch from customtone.

Nope, sounds nothing like his tone at all. Ok, I appreciate that he is probably going straight into a DAW through an interface, and it's been all nicely mastered to sound amazing, but I can't get even close to it. 

Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this?

On a positive note though, the acoustic Sim is fantastic, it's one of the few effects that I missed from my old Boss GT10 and GT100.

I'm not sure what the "wah wah wah" sound you're talking about it.  Have you tried putting the 12 string effect first or close to first in the chain? Are you putting it through an amp model as well (a Fender Twin model works surprisingly well for a clean 12 string sound).  While it's true that a real 12 string will inevitably sound better than an effect like this, for what it's worth, it's close enough for my tastes.

Oddly enough, I'm having more issues with the acoustic effect, in that it's really easy to clip the low strings in many of my patches (especially if I use a JC120 model).  I've used a compressor, which has helped with the clipping in a number of cases, but adds too much sustain and compression to get the best acoustic sound.  I still like having it in the Helix nonetheless, as it's still sort of adequate in the absence of a real electric-acoustic.

• 4 months later...

I bought the Stomp specifically for the 12 string simulator.  I'm lost.  It sounds nothing like a 12 string; the Digitech Mosaic sounded more realistic.  Any hints would be greatly appreciated.  Does anyone has a 12 string patch to sell?

Thanks to all, have a great summer