Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner.... No cents indicator on hardware!

codamedia

It was great to see the tuner added to Helix Native in the 3.0 update. 

What surprised me was that it included a feature not yet found on the hardware, and not included in the 3.0 update on the hardware. 

A "CENTS" indicator. 

A running indicator telling you how many cents "flat or sharp" you are to the nearest note. 

As a multi-instrumentalist, this is incredibly useful. My banjo, mandolin, acoustic, pedal steel, etc... etc... all require different offsets. Having this indicator (combined with knowing the offsets required) make it a snap to tune any instrument quickly and easily with incredible precision. 

I have created a feature request on ideascale in case anyone else is interested and wants to upvote it!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Cents-indicator-the-the-tuner-on-the-hardware!/1004447-23508 

It has been my understanding that the "fine tuning" bar (the seven small bars at the top) are one cent each. So you get a display that is actually much finer resolution that whole cents. I'm not poo-poo-ing the idea of also having a separate "cents" display but only letting you know there is a way to interpret this info until/unless they add such a separate dedicated display.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, malhavok said:

It has been my understanding that the "fine tuning" bar (the seven small bars at the top) are one cent each. So you get a display that is actually much finer resolution that whole cents.

Yes... it does work great for plus/minus 3 cents.... but not beyond that. The cents indicator adds "fine tuning" for plus/minus 50 cents, at which point it moves on to the next note. 

14 hours ago, malhavok said:

I'm not poo-poo-ing the idea of also having a separate "cents" display but only letting you know there is a way to interpret this info until/unless they add such a separate dedicated display.

I have gotten good at interpreting the helix tuner... just as I have other tuners in the past. I'm just really lazy and want to make it even easier - LOL!