Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poly Capo/Shift has too many artifacts an sounds bad

jbennet3200

On 12/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, SaschaFranck said:

I wouldn't expect this to happen in any of our lifetimes. Even Melodyne DNA couldn't do it, because even if it splits polyphonic signals into single pitch events, there's no way it could reliably tell on which string things were played. Besides, it's far from being a realtime process.

Variax does this. 

34 minutes ago, yelldog said:

Variax does this. 

Yes, but if you read the post that he was responding to, that was already mentioned and acknowledged. The "wish list" item in question was the ability to have Helix pitch shift one or more individual strings, while leaving the others alone with any old regular guitar... and that ain't happening anytime soon.

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know AND I did NOT read it all because it looked like it was going down the Shiite hole from what I read.

Anyway,  this may be my first post and I am pretty new to Helix.   I too was hearing terrible artifacts using some of the pitching shifting FXs.   I am going into my DAW using Helix Native.   I found a cool Purple Rain preset that I really like.   It is pretty DSP intensive so I was not able to add Poly Capo.   After adding many pitch effects I was not satisfied.   I then had the idea to add Native on the same track in Reaper and put it first with a preset that uses only Poly Capo.    This did it for me.   And to my ears so 1000% better than where I started.

Maybe this was mentioned but as I said,  I did not read all of the threads.

Brian

I often use a High and Low Cut filter before the Poly Capo to condition the signal prior to processing. If you're doing low tunings, reduce some lows so Poly Capo doesn't try to transpose its input into the subsonic range. If transposing up, reduce some of the highs. This can improve the sound. The biamped Poly Capo preset below for low tunings (which wouldn't have been possible without the 3.50 cabs!) shows what I mean. It tunes down -5 semitones and still sounds pretty good.

image.png.de963a0537b1ccb8179ab335c9d8575a.png

Also, not sure if this was mentioned before, but Poly block processors should go before most processors. The only exceptions are dynamics and some EQ blocks, if they're not doing anything too extreme.

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, craiganderton said:

I often use a High and Low Cut filter before the Poly Capo to condition the signal prior to processing. If you're doing low tunings, reduce some lows so Poly Capo doesn't try to transpose its input into the subsonic range. If transposing up, reduce some of the highs. This can improve the sound. The biamped Poly Capo preset below for low tunings (which wouldn't have been possible without the 3.50 cabs!) shows what I mean. It tunes down -5 semitones and still sounds pretty good.

image.png.de963a0537b1ccb8179ab335c9d8575a.png

Also, not sure if this was mentioned before, but Poly block processors should go before most processors. The only exceptions are dynamics and some EQ blocks, if they're not doing anything too extreme.

I will give that a try.    I am tuning up 7 STs and doing it the way I am doing in my daw does sound very good.

I also just tried the Simple Pitch with not so drastic shifting (< ST up to -1) and that sounds good.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2023 at 1:41 AM, craiganderton said:

page

Could you share some audio examples of that drop tunnings? I would like to benchmark mine. Thanks!

On 4/10/2023 at 4:26 PM, josehdx said:

Could you share some audio examples of that drop tunnings? I would like to benchmark mine. Thanks!

Sure! In the audio attachment, I'm playing in E but it's being transposed down 5 semitones to B. (I had to use an older account because I ran out of space for attachments, but it's me). See what you think.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:04 AM, Anderton said:

I had to use an older account because I ran out of space for attachments, but it's me

Hi,

This happens quite a lot due to relatively low amount of storage allocated to each user, and it can be really annoying at times.

Anyhow, if you click on your avatar in the lower right of the menu bar at the top of the page it will reveal a drop down where you can select to go to your attachments area.

From there you can delete any attachments that my be very old, or taking up space unnecessarily. Pictures are usually the main culprit for consuming space. Not a great help to you, as most of your posts require accompanying pictures to illustrate your comments. 

The only solution appears to be, use a link to an external picture location.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 4/11/2023 at 5:53 AM, datacommando said:

Anyhow, if you click on your avatar in the lower right of the menu bar at the top of the page it will reveal a drop down where you can select to go to your attachments area.

From there you can delete any attachments that my be very old, or taking up space unnecessarily. Pictures are usually the main culprit for consuming space. Not a great help to you, as most of your posts require accompanying pictures to illustrate your comments. 

Thanks for the tip! I did remove an image that seemed like it would free up enough space and rewrote the accompanying comment, but apparently it wasn't enough. 

Probably what would be best is to write up tips presented here as an article on craiganderton.org, where I can post pictures and audio examples with impunity :) Then I can just link to that.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, Anderton said:

Probably what would be best is to write up tips presented here as an article on craiganderton.org, where I can post pictures and audio examples with impunity :) Then I can just link to that.

That would be excellent, then you have no restrictions - especially as some of your posts require audio to make the point. 

Splendid!