Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X: How do I neutralize tone in stompbox mode?

helikyler

Hey all, I know this is a common topic but I still haven't found a satisfying answer so I'm going to ask it...

How can I remove the tone coloring that occurs on the HD500X when in stompbox mode and all effects (and amp models) are OFF?

I can tell when I go to the tuner and use the bypass mode that with all effects off, the 500X is still affecting my tone. In tuner bypass mode, the signal to amp is dry and unaffected do the 500x *should* be capable of not coloring my signal. In regular play, with all fx off and the amp model disabled, the tone is darker and the signal is weaker. This is really frustrating because what I wanted the 500X is for it's stompbox effects not an amp modeler. I know about the 4 cable method and using the modeling for the preamp toy amp, but that will be a last resort. I just really want the effects and my amp's tone!

Please help!

Kyler in Boise

Keywords: pod, hd500x, hd500, hd-500-x, fx, f/x, tone, coloring, colored, true bypass, darker, signal, fx loop

Yes, I understand that. However, seeing as the bypass in tuner mode sounds pretty clear, it's entirely (physically) possible. If Line6 didn't provide some way to let a signal pass through virtually unaffected for live playing, that's pretty lame. It's obviously a floorboard and not a desktop or rack unit, and the line out has a switch for "amp". To me this was a massive oversight. I only ever wanted the modeling for recording or certain times when an amp on stage wasn't possible.

I am looking into the effects only units now though. Thanks for the suggestion.

1) make sure the POD output mode is set to Studio/Direct, the other output modes of which some colour the signal matter only if you use/enable the cab models (which you don't need) when you connect the POD to a guitar amp instead of a flat response system, Studio/Direct doesn't colour the signal at all.

2) make sure the Global EQ is off

3) the Guitar Input is affected by its impedance setting, to get an unaffected/transparent bypass signal set the impedance parameter to 3.5 megaohm or 1 megaohm (avoid the AUTO setting).

the impedance of the other POD inputs (AUX, RETURN) is fixed to 1 megaohm (good one for the purpose)..

4) if you connect the POD to the front panel input of your amp the 1/4" OUT switch near the pedal should be set to AMP,
if you want to use the POD preamp models (bypassing your amp preamp) and connect the POD directly to the RETURN input (probably on the rear panel) of your amp the 1/4" OUT switch should be set to LINE.

5) set the POD master volume knob quite high if not at max.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Upvote 2

Hurghanico thank you so much! I'm going to try this all tonight! I was so discouraged after much searching that I listed my HD500X for sale and started looking for a Helix product or even considered jumping to Bias FX. If I could sort this out it would be great! 

Many thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:22 AM, hurghanico said:

1) make sure the POD output mode is set to Studio/Direct, the other output modes of which some colour the signal matter only if you use/enable the cab models (which you don't need) when you connect the POD to a guitar amp instead of a flat response system, Studio/Direct doesn't colour the signal at all.

2) make sure the Global EQ is off

3) the Guitar Input is affected by its impedance setting, to get an unaffected/transparent bypass signal set the impedance parameter to 3.5 megaohm or 1 megaohm (avoid the AUTO setting).

the impedance of the other POD inputs (AUX, RETURN) is fixed to 1 megaohm (good one for the purpose)..

4) if you connect the POD to the front panel input of your amp the 1/4" OUT switch near the pedal should be set to AMP,
if you want to use the POD preamp models (bypassing your amp preamp) and connect the POD directly to the RETURN input (probably on the rear panel) of your amp the 1/4" OUT switch should be set to LINE.

5) set the POD master volume knob quite high if not at max.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Hey man! This was fantastic advice! Even the studio/direct setting helped tremendously but also I would have never thought to tweak the input impedance! You literally saved the HD500X for me. I have been unhappy with my tone for years with it and thought it was my VHT but it was my settings!

Is there any way I can send you a thank you or return the favor?

KB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helikyler said:

Hey man! This was fantastic advice! Even the studio/direct setting helped tremendously but also I would have never thought to tweak the input impedance! You literally saved the HD500X for me. I have been unhappy with my tone for years with it and thought it was my VHT but it was my settings!

Is there any way I can send you a thank you or return the favor?

KB

Great!

Don't worry!.. no need to send me anything..

I am already gratified to see that my advice was useful 

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

4 hours ago, helikyler said:

Have a merry Christmas, stay well and peace to you! 

same to you!

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips