Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Resonant LFO Filter? Is there a way?

MakeItShredNo1

tldr; I'm looking for an effect that can create the kind of slowly moving, resonant LP filter in commonly found on synthesizers.  There are several filters in the Helix that get close, but I cannot figure out how to get any of them to do all three of 1) respond to an LFO and not an envelop 2) have a resonant peak and 3) have a low pass setting.

Longer version, I'm also a keyboard player.  Many moons ago I fell in love with an oft-maligned pedal, the Boss PH3.  Mine died some time back, but I haven't had need of that sound for a while.  I've managed a reasonable replication of my settings using the Helix's Deluxe phaser, but it still wasn't quite right.  Not long ago, playing keys at a gig, it finally struck me that I was essentially jerry-rigging a filter out of my PH3 (feedback on a phaser under certain conditions creates a resonant peak), and that I'd be getting closer to "the sound in my head" with a proper filter rather than a phaser-doing-it's-best-Moog-impression.  

So I fired up Helix Native, and sadly couldn't find a filter that got the job done, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.  I hope I am, and that's what I'm asking - is there a way that I'm overlooking to create this effect.  I tried running one of my favorite filter plugins AFTER Helix native, and just nailed the tone I'm going for - so I could always pick up a filter pedal like the Earthquaker Interstellar Orbiter, but I would very much like to not have any more pedals on stage.  Thanks all

Unfortunately there's nothing like LFOs in the Helix (I really wish there was, plus some real envelopes). The closest you might find would perhaps be the Ashville Pattm, the Spin Cycle from the legacy FX section or the Sweep Echo (you could set very small delay times there).

The filter section is quite limited, too - and very often you may end up with some digital harshness.

I wish they would steal all these things frome Native Instruments' GuitarRig - not a great amp sim IMO but mindblowing filter and modulation options.

Indeed - with the Ashville Pattrn I can get SO TANTALIZING CLOSE by turning the pattern off and the LFO on....but alas no resonant peak.  Which, that is true to the MF105 it is based on...but I do dearly wish Line 6 had added it in, or include a proper filter in a future update.  Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm increasingly realizing that a LOT of ambient guitar and worship guitar is going the LOOOOOONG way around to recreate pretty simple keyboard effects.