Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

URGENT: 3.01.0 Firmware with bugfixes just released

HonestOpinion

4 hours ago, Drybonz said:

Do we know if the "miscellaneous bug fixes" (from the patch notes) includes the fix for the Rat pedal that they broke in 3.0?

Hi,

They didn’t “break” it in 3.0, it was never quite correct, something to do with the resonance.

Line 6 had already been made aware of this for quite some time and it is scheduled to be fixed in the next FW update.

Some users thought that the modified, correctly functioning, Rat model would be a new addition and the one already there would be retained as it stands. In a post from DI, that I read, he says the existing one will be fixed with no additional new direct replacement. 

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 12/5/2020 at 7:04 PM, SieurBoon said:

hello there !

impossible to download latest version of firmware (HELIX floor firmware v3.01).
From Firefox browser I get a "SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG" error message and from Brave browser I get a " ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR " ... my Win8.1pro can't find any solution...

using Line6 updater software is the same,  it makes an unknown error trying to download firmware

anyone can help ?

Hi,

I have only just now seen your post. Go here to find what it means:

https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/ssl_error_rx_record_too_long/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI - this firmware bricked my next-to-new Helix. Was on 2.92 decided to patch.  Died at 32% into the update, restarted to "boot failed", and it's dead. Have tried both Windows (older Dell, on laptop and in-dock USB ports) and Mac (brand-new Macbook Pro) laptops to recover following all the steps outline in the "hey let's call our users morons" support thread, tried 2 different USB cables, and it's still deader than Vaudeville. In both cases the OS sees the device, but the updater/editor do not. Have tried going back to 2.92 (full uninstall / reinstall of ALL Line6 software, with a reboot in between removal and install, and then again between install and attempt to connect on both 2.92 and 3.02.0).

Line6 support, after taking a nice break for the holidays, basically told me I'm SOL and to take it in for service and closed my support request. 

I haven't even peeled the cling-film off the display panels yet.

helix.jpg

5 minutes ago, surfsup1955 said:

Where did you buy it?  If it was Sweetwater, and you've had it less than 30 days, tell them you want to return it.

Your Line 6 support scenario doesn't sound typical to me?  

It was purchased some time ago at Guitar Center in Miami - I have since moved to the other side of the state.  It's sat almost entirely unused as I have not had the time required to get proficient with the software. But it's out of 30 day grace.

As far as a typical interaction with support I can't really comment. I've owned products from the original Guitar Port up through this one and haven't really had to rely on support until this point, but my first experience leaves me less than enthused thus far. Based solely on my Google results for the issue this isn't' something new, adding to my surprise that this software has performed as it has several releases after this sort of problem started to appear. 

Well - I seem to have resolved the problem.  

I am in no way suggesting others do this - I am merely detailing "what worked for me"

1) Uninstall every piece of Line 6 software, using an uninstaller to "clean" anything left behind (I have a Guitar Port, a POD-XT, a POD-HD500X, a Variax, and the Helix, so there was quite the trail here) 
2) Reboot
3) Using Zadig (Google it) I manually installed the latest version of the Windows libusb release (it's part of Line 6's driver base, and while I can't really tell how old the version is by inspecting the files that Line 6 uses, I can tell you that (per the docs from the devs) any version prior to the latest on the libusb github page had serious issues with numerous USB hub devices (and not hubs as is things that hang off your PC, hubs as in the chip devices on your motherboard)
- the OS saw my device immediately
4) Install Line 6 Updated v1.17 (as far as I could tell this is the release that added support for Helix)
- updater saw my device immediately
5) Manually performed an off-line install of HELIX_Floor_v3.01.0_0x5a8c6f191_bundle.hxf
- updated without issue

My Helix has survived several reboots without issue. Now I just need to get the editors and whatnot installed to support my older devices and pray none of it shoots the Helix in the face. 

Again, try this at your own risk, but it worked for me after virtually nothing else did and Line 6 told me my only recourse was to pay someone to fix it. 

Line 6 - I'd seriously suggest your QA / DevOps folks try a little harder at releasing robust software. If you forked libusb at some point it should be noted in the docs so people know what version it is you're using. And you should update your version. But what do I know.....

EDIT:
Well, I was actually able to dig into the Line 6 driver archive (release "Line 6 WinUsb Driver v1.0.0.3 Installer.exe") and inside that package I can see they ARE using the latest libusb release - so I'm extra puzzled.  It may simply be that I had multiple drivers installed that were in conflict.  While I'd like to believe that's not possible, it's certainly not out of the question with Windows.  As to why my Mac didn't work I have no idea - all of the Line 6 software I put on that was latest-and-greatest - if the USB driver base was truly 1:1 with the current version from libusb it should have worked on the Mac no issue - but it did not.

Edited by johnny-longtorso
update

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. Hopefully anyone can show me where I messed up :). Just got my HX stomp (ver 2.6.2?). installed hx Edit 3.0 and updated firmware 3.01. somehow during the update, the process got interrupted. I turned it off and turn it on again and shows this. When I plugged it on HX edit everything shows (preset, blocks etc), but nothing shows on the unit itself. I still can play my bass through it's just fine. Try to turn it on while pressing the arrow > just show blank screen and nothing happened after one minute doing so. hopefully I can get a glimpse of idea about what happened to my unit.

thank you so much

image2.jpeg

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

First thing you could try is to do a factory hardware reset.

HX Stomp: Turn unit off and then turn back on. Hold Footswitches 2 and 3 as the unit boots up.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hi datacommando. Thank you for your reply. I already did that multiple times but it just went back to its current condition. I already even tried to hold page button when boot up my unit and nothing happens 

1 hour ago, Rian021102 said:

I already did that multiple times but it just went back to its current condition. I already even tried to hold page button when boot up my unit and nothing happens 

Hmmm... O.K. as you said that you can connect to the Stomp via USB, let’s just give this one more go around.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows, plus the same routine should be the same for Mac.

Firstly go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HX Stomp then go to  the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" menu item and select HX EDIT, now select your Windows system or Mac OSX from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”. From the next page you can select HX Edit 3.0 for your HX Stomp. then below that you will also need the Firmware 3.01 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your computer and note where they are saved. 

Then:

1. Remove all the previously installed Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power to your HX Stomp.
  3. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and HX Stomp.

Ensure that HX Edit is definitely closed and that you have your HX Stomp reconnected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down “Page >” while turning the power on. (You may see a black screen, but keep going).

Now, launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HX Stomp and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.3.0 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantees are given or implied, you do this at your own risk. If it doesn’t work, raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense

10 hours ago, Rian021102 said:

I’m using Macbook Air 2020.

Oops! That might make a big difference to your situation if you are running Big Sur - if not try what I suggested in the earlier post an just make sure that you don’t have any alias back to an prior version of HX Edit.

If you have Big Sur installed, all I can do is refer you to the big orange “sticky” banner at the top of this page entitled “MacOS 11 Compatibilty with Line 6 Software”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hi Datacommando....

Yes, I just checked out the sticky banner about MacOS11 compatibility. On the other hand, I just sent back my unit to the distributor to have them to have a look. Maybe the next logical step it's to wait until the firmware that will be compatible with MacOS11.

Thank you for sharing this

10 hours ago, Rian021102 said:

I just sent back my unit to the distributor to have them to have a look.

That is probably the best thing to do in this situation. It could well be a component has failed in the Stomp. I’ve never seen a software installation totally fry a unit, mess them up for a while - yes, but never physically damage the electronics. As yours is a new unit, they will probably just swap it out for a new one, and if you ask nicely, they may also update the firmware for you.

If you are already running Big Sur then, until there is a fix for HX Edit to work on that platform, you will have to do any preset editing on the box. Hopefully there will be a fix soon, but don’t hold you breath, as many other music software manufacturers are having trouble getting their stuff to run properly (or without Rosetta) on MacOS 11.

Good luck.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:23 PM, datacommando said:

That is probably the best thing to do in this situation. It could well be a component has failed in the Stomp. I’ve never seen a software installation totally fry a unit, mess them up for a while - yes, but never physically damage the electronics. As yours is a new unit, they will probably just swap it out for a new one, and if you ask nicely, they may also update the firmware for you.

If you are already running Big Sur then, until there is a fix for HX Edit to work on that platform, you will have to do any preset editing on the box. Hopefully there will be a fix soon, but don’t hold you breath, as many other music software manufacturers are having trouble getting their stuff to run properly (or without Rosetta) on MacOS 11.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. Looks like many software developer still tries to make their product to run smoothly on Big Sur. Hopefully nothing's bad happens

• 1 month later...

The release of the new firmware 3.1.0(notice NOT 3.01.0) appears to be imminent(rumor has it being released as soon as March 17th, please don't hold Line6 or me to that) and along with it I assume probably a new version of HX Edit to accompany it.  This would be the time to upgrade to version 3.01.0 of HX Edit if you have not already so you can witness for yourself the modern marvel of HX Edit forcing an update of itself before updating the firmware. That should prevent a whole lot of newer users from ending up with their version of HX Edit and firmware being out of sync. Yahoo!

For anyone who missed it, this was in the release notes for the 3.01.0 version of HX Edit.

"HX Edit 3.01

HX Edit 3.01 includes bug fixes and an improved firmware updating procedure, and is strongly recommended for all Helix and HX owners. Doesn't matter what version of HX Edit you're currently running; you can go straight to 3.01.

New Features
  • AFTER installing HX Edit 3.01, updating firmware for Helix and HX products is now more consistent and seamless. For example, the update process now forces you to update HX Edit before your Helix/HX hardware. (Imagine that.) Even if the bugs below don’t apply to you, we strongly recommend updating HX Edit to 3.01 so you’ll be ready to go for our next release."
  • Like 1