Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BEWARE! Line 6 NOT Mac Friendly

I've done the dance with Line 6 products for a decade, and the pattern is that they are mostly a Microsoft shop. If you're on the Mac platform, you're not of great concern to this company. The whole world KNEW mac OS Big Sur was coming. Same thing with Catalina. Developers were seeded with the tools they needed. Line 6 could have supported BIg Sur on the day Big Sur came out. They chose not to do so. Line 6 apparently just doesn't care to get on the ball for this "minority." If you're on the Mac platform, give serious consideration before investing any more resources into Line 6. They want you to buy tings for the holidays, but beware -- if you're using a Mac, you're last in line to get your software updated and compatible with the products you purchased. Not sure why they're so cavalier about it, but on September 11, 2020, they posted a notice indicating they would be working on making their products compatible. This is being written on December 4, 2020, and still no work and no progress And if you're waiting for Pod Farm 2 to be "fixed" so it displays in a full-screen manner forget it. Not gonna happen, according to Line 6. Nice. I got my mponey's worth, but there are people who are going to buy things for this Christmas, and they are going to be very upset. Totally avoidable, Line 6, but you lost your way. Be advised.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of buying Pod Go recently and can’t use the edit software because I already have OS 11 installed. This is a new product and can’t get updated software because it’s a Mac. I own tons of third party software for my DAW and everyone of them has an immediate update for OS 11. Line6 will not cater to the Mac user

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I know about the Line 6 folks, most of them are using Macs. I think it's just that Apple has made it more challenging than Microsoft for third party developers to keep up with things over the last few years. It's ironic, because Apple's reputation is that they're always associated with the creative industries, but Apples seems to make life hard for companies. You'll find many, if not most, of the other companies making plug-ins and whatnot are in the same boat as Line 6 as far as catching up with Big Sur. It seems like many of them just got caught up to Catalina not that long ago.

Seriously, who needs a major OS update every year, anyway?

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, yonatann said:

Really phil_m !?!

Its apple's fault the line 6 do not support new OS releases?

Line 6 will eventually support it, just like all the other audio companies will. But, yes, Apple acts in a monopolistic manner and simply expects other companies to comply, and companies have to comply, because, well, they have to. But there’s no reason that an operating system needs a major, disruptive overhaul every 18 months or whatever it is. It’s ridiculous.

Is Pro Tools not Mac friendly? It’s not been updated work with Big Sur yet either. There are a bunch of other audio companies that are in the same boat. This stuff just doesn’t happen automatically. It takes time and resources, and none of these MI companies are really all that large. Being forced to constantly update because of Apple’s whims is a major PITA, I’m sure.

• Downvote 1

Does anyone know if UX2 will work with Big Sur with current drivers, or not? I can ditch pod farm etc but I cannot live without the interface. So all I'm interested in are the ux2 drivers and if they work ok with Big Sur.

I know the official download page does not list them as compatible. But has anyone tried?

42 minutes ago, gitarzysta said:

Does anyone know if UX2 will work with Big Sur with current drivers, or not? I can ditch pod farm etc but I cannot live without the interface. So all I'm interested in are the ux2 drivers and if they work ok with Big Sur.

I know the official download page does not list them as compatible. But has anyone tried?

I expect there will be a Big Sur compatible driver soon.

I took the risk and upgraded to Big Sur. Pod Studio UX2 seems to be working OK.

Pod Farm seems ok, too.

Licence Manager - works but shows no purchased add ons - to be honest I have not checked it in Catalina OR previous MacOS versions for a long long time, so not sure if this is a Big Sur issue or if it had existed before.

Of course I have an Intel Mac - don't try this with M1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about February 2021 now, and I've been waiting since the beginning of September 2020 for Line 6 to get  compliant with Mac OS Big Sur. Guess it's not going to happen in my lifetime. Must be great to be a Line 6 software engineer. Update the software, IF YOU GET AROUND TO IT. Six months later.......

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably best not to hang any hopes on getting support for the M1 any time soon then :(  Got a new M1 with Big Sur in November, my Helix Native runs in Rosetta like a dog with no legs.  I have basically had to trash the use of Native.  Developer M1 MacMinis were available from mid 2020 and Big Sur from about the same time.  It's quite astonishing that Line 6 has not updated their position on Big Sur since September.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the above because I have a HD500x and have just purchased a new iMac M1 and these issues have surprised me.

I've just put the new Big Sur 11.5 on my Mac and (of course) it won't/can't operate the Pod Edit software.

I'm thinking that I'll just jam with the HD500x and quit trying to get Edit to work if the line6 engineers won't or can't fix it.  

I won't be purchasing anything else from Line6 if they don't tackle it soon though.

Thanks for the heads up! 

Jules

1 hour ago, julesline606 said:

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the above because I have a HD500x and have just purchased a new iMac M1 and these issues have surprised me.

I've just put the new Big Sur 11.5 on my Mac and (of course) it won't/can't operate the Pod Edit software.

I'm thinking that I'll just jam with the HD500x and quit trying to get Edit to work if the line6 engineers won't or can't fix it.  

I won't be purchasing anything else from Line6 if they don't tackle it soon though.

Thanks for the heads up! 

Jules

Are you sure you're looking at the right software? For the 500X, you need HD500X Edit. I have HD500 Edit installed on my M1 Mac running Big Sur, and it seems to be working fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if TonePort KB37 midi driver works on macbook pro M1 chip? I know they updated the driver to be able to use it with Big Sur but it doesn't work for me on M1. If there is a momentary solution, it would also help me since I need to be able to occupy my interface. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 9:00 PM, phil_m said:

Are you sure you're looking at the right software? For the 500X, you need HD500X Edit. I have HD500 Edit installed on my M1 Mac running Big Sur, and it seems to be working fine.

Really? Because I just upgraded to a M1 / Big Sur combo (Macbook Air), and it's behaving just as the Line 6 KB article says: software runs up, but cannot connect to the HD500.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2021 at 6:12 PM, PabloM37 said:

Can anyone tell me if TonePort KB37 midi driver works on macbook pro M1 chip? I know they updated the driver to be able to use it with Big Sur but it doesn't work for me on M1. If there is a momentary solution, it would also help me since I need to be able to occupy my interface. Thanks in advance.

Has this been resolved? Looking at line 5”6 support notes it looks like Tone port will not be supported on M1 chips :(

9 hours ago, robersha said:

Has this been resolved? Looking at line 5”6 support notes it looks like Tone port will not be supported on M1 chips :(

There won’t be M1 support for the Toneport devices, no.

• Downvote 1