Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native and impedance

malduroque

Thanks for the reply. That was what I assumed. My interface is 1M impedance. So for the other part of my question, with that in mind, do the low impedance fuzzes perform less than optimally in Native? That would explain why I've never particularly liked them.

Impedance is all about how the pickups in your guitar are loaded, which affects the frequencies sent to the effect, which is what gives those types of effects their unique tone.

IIRC, the IK AXE I/O has impedance settings at it's input. Not automatic, like Helix, but if authentic tone from those effects in Native is important to you, that device is worth looking into.

8 hours ago, malduroque said:

So for the other part of my question, with that in mind, do the low impedance fuzzes perform less than optimally in Native?

If you asked me: Only partially. In other words: IMO they don't get *all* that much better with different input impedances. I think that out of the generally excellent Helix drives, the fuzzboxes are more on the somewhat weaker side. I for one never get their dynamics behave the way I'd like them to. But then, I might be an exception because plenty of folks seem to like them.

Fwiw, I think the Top Secret OD does a nice fuzzy job in case you feed a slightly driven amp. Might need some additional EQ block (as it doesn't even have a tone control), but it's my to-go-for drive in case I want a little fuzziness.