Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Program Change question

tjbassoon

I want to connect the MIDI out to a pedal that uses Program Changes to select presets. I can do this but the issue is the slave pedal uses program change 6 to bypass, and 0-5 as selecting presets (there are 6 presets capable on the slave pedal). Is there a way to set a single switch to engage Program Change 0 and Program Change 6, as a kind of latching switch? This would let one switch on the Helix behave like a single switch on the slave pedal, where the preset switches toggle the effect on/off.

If I want to do more switching than this I'm guessing I can make snapshots send the proper PC signals, but that's for another topic if I have issues.

You can send two MIDI commands on Preset Load and on Snapshot Change, but stomp switches can only send one message at a time, and Snapshots will not resend a message.

If you identify the device you're trying to control I can take a look at the manual to see if there's a workaround.

It's the Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro (by Source Audio).

Their manual has the numbers 1 off from the parameters of the Helix.

I would like to have the single button on the Helix send PC 1 and then 6 on subsequent click, for instance. I don't need it to send more than one message at a time, I just want it to send messages alternating depending on the last press, I guess. Like latching.

Unfortunately, that's not going to work. The only latching function on Helix is CC Toggling, which is the standard method of doing BYPASS with MIDI.

In fact (and I try to stay up to date), I don't know of ANY MIDI controller which will do what you want.

Not that it absolutely CAN'T be done, but it would require a MIDI Translator box such as the BOME Box, which can be configured (via GUI, sold separately) to do most anything, but is serious overkill for a function like this.

The FBC1010 with the UNO2 Chip can also be programmed to do this, and while cheaper than the BOME Box, is REALLY BIG. In both cases, it would cost more than a new Envelope filter, add another device to your board, and require serious programming.

Having had a look at the manual, to be truthful, I can't imagine what those guys were thinking when they set it up to work that way, and since it's now a legacy product, you're not going to see an update.

The closest I could come would be to use Snapshots to select the Preset and a stomp to send bypass. I've attached an example preset if you're interested.

I think you're probably best served, since you're going to have that big old box on your board anyway, to just use it's own footswitches.

FWIW - If I was seriously interested in a serious envelope filter (I play bass too), the BEFP is the one I'd go for! However, I don't even use Helix for bass. I actually prefer my ancient ME-50b, which has a basic envelope filter and presets, and serves for my limited EF needs.

BEFP.hlx

• Upvote 2

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor is a small box that will convert one MIDI command into two.  It could also do your alternating commands for latching.  It can do a lot of other MIDI manipulations as well.  You'll have to use their small software tool to program it.  It may not be the right solution for you but maybe it will.  It is a very useful little MIDI box:

http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

50 minutes ago, DBCrocky said:

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor is a small box that will convert one MIDI command into two.  It could also do your alternating commands for latching.  It can do a lot of other MIDI manipulations as well.  You'll have to use their small software tool to program it.  It may not be the right solution for you but maybe it will.  It is a very useful little MIDI box:

http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

That one would likely also work and cheaper/smaller than the BOME Box (and not as ugly!), but all the same drawbacks.

Thanks rd2rk, that confirms what I thought. Unfortunate. On the plus side, it's simple enough to just toggle the effect on/off using the FX Loop features already in the Helix. If I actually needed presets to change and couldn't get to the pedal itself to do it, I could just set it up with Snapshot control.

The pedal is awesome, and actually I got it for using with bassoon! I need a very flexible envelope filter for that use. Although it's tight on bass too (I do a little bass and a little guitar but mostly use it with my wind playing).