Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit Freezes during firmware update to 3.01

acf311

I tried to update to 3.01.

The HX edit is at 3.0, I signed up, back up my presets, and then I clicked update.

HX Edit is stuck on the Update Device screen and is stuck with the phrase at the bottom saying "initializing firmware installation..."

It's been like this for hours, and the helix floor screen says "update message server started". 

HX Edit won't let me quit out either because it says I need to wait until the update is finished. 

Please help. I don't want to risk bricking my Helix. I'm on OSx 19.15.7 Catalina

I had this same problem today. I updated to 3.0.0 recently, everything worked fine. But going from 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1 my Helix was stuck on the "update message server started" screen for about an hour. The "installing" progress bar in HX Edit never showed up. 

I killed the HX Edit program, cycled power on the Helix and it booted up back on 3.0.0 just fine. Repeated the update process and now 3.0.010 is working. Not sure how risky that is, but it looked like the updater process hadn't actually started yet so I figured it was OK.

I had the same issue. I unplugged usb from helix and Mac. I then turned helix off and back on. I had to force restart my Mac in order to shut down HX Edit. After Mac restarted I connected usb to Mac and Helix. I then went to L6 website and downloaded, and installed latest version of Line 6 Updater. I ran Updater, it recognized my Helix and installed firmware correctly.  I then turned off helix and turned it back on. After it rebuilt presets I connected to HX Edit and restored from backup.  
Ive had to use Updater for the last three updates and this worked every time.

Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, colorofdubious said:

I had the same issue. I unplugged usb from helix and Mac. I then turned helix off and back on. I had to force restart my Mac in order to shut down HX Edit. After Mac restarted I connected usb to Mac and Helix. I then went to L6 website and downloaded, and installed latest version of Line 6 Updater. I ran Updater, it recognized my Helix and installed firmware correctly.  I then turned off helix and turned it back on. After it rebuilt presets I connected to HX Edit and restored from backup.  
Ive had to use Updater for the last three updates and this worked every time.

Hope this helps!

You might want to try my suggestion above next time. Could be your issue too. No guarantees, but maybe.

10 hours ago, colorofdubious said:

I had to force restart my Mac in order to shut down HX Edit.

No, you haven't had to.

The next time an app refuses to quit, you have several options:

• control/right click its icon in the Dock and select Force Quit
  • select Force Quit… from the Apple menu and choose the offending app you want to quit
  • open /Applications/Utilites/Activity Monitor > CPU tab > sort by %CPU descending (the offending process usually eats up many CPU cycles) > select Quit Process from the View menu > click the Force Quit button
  • open /Applications/Utilites/Terminal, type
    killall HX\ Edit
    … and press Enter

I  had the same problem with the 3.01 update, with HX Edit stopping working on "initialising...."

This seems to be a  buggy code to me, as nothing has changed on my end.  

I never had to restart the process before, but this time worked on the 3rd attempt.  for a moment I did get quite concerned about it all.

So far it looks like that everything it's stable.