Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PowerCab 1st Impressions - Needs Standby Switch!

DBCrocky

Just got a PowerCab 212 yesterday.  It was bit bigger than I thought, but hey, it's a 2-12 cab.  About the size of a Fender Twin, but not nearly as heavy.

So far it's been really nice.  I am having fun programming for it.  Sounds really really nice, and so far I have just been doing dual Shade (Boogie Black Shadow C90) mode, with my Boogie Triaxis in Rhythm Green the clean sound is so beautiful sounding, I haven't got much further yet.  I Needed to set Helix on full on line output, big knob all the way dimed, all the PowerCab settings to 0.0 db, and adjust volume using PowerCabs input knob.  Seems to be about perfect looking at the PowerCab LED's, going into yellow commonly, red rarely on clean and lead settings.

I noticed you can't run one speaker in FULL mode while the other one was in SPEAKER mode.  With a Variax, I was thinking I could make a More Than a Feeling patch with acoustic 12 string on one side and electric 6 string w/chorus on the other.  Not a big deal, I could probably achieve it with DUAL IR mode, or put a Speaker Cab block or IR on the Helix electric and run the PowerCab in FULL mode.

What I miss the most, coming from using real tube amps, is a Standby Switch!  While I know since it's not a tube amp we don't technically need one, it's would be nice to have a switch that mutes the rig for setbreaks and such without having to turn the amp off (and hoping it boots ok again) or turning a knob down (and losing it's setting).

2 hours ago, DBCrocky said:

What I miss the most, coming from using real tube amps, is a Standby Switch!  While I know since it's not a tube amp we don't technically need one, it's would be nice to have a switch that mutes the rig for setbreaks and such without having to turn the amp off (and hoping it boots ok again) or turning a knob down (and losing it's setting).

You've got the BIG KNOB dimed. Just zero it, no setting to lose!

55 minutes ago, DBCrocky said:

I would like to have a standby switch, thank you.  That's why I posted it. 

Wrong forum. This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multple combined suggestions.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Yeah, I can see the desire for a standby switch particularly considering it isn't "instant on" like a conventional solid state amp.  Personally I stopped caring about standby switches when I started using a muting tuner, but of course that doesn't mute the cabinet.

That said, if you generally do have your helix knob on max, zeroing it gets you the same result without having to touch the cab's volume.  I think that is what rd2rk is suggesting.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, DBCrocky said:

What is your problem?  I posted my first impressions of the PowerCab 212.  I had lots of nice things to say, and a couple of things that bothered me.  Why is this such a big problem for you?

Are you talking to me?

I ain't got no problem like you seem to have.

You asked for something in a place where nobody who matters is going to see it.

I told you where to go to have your suggestion seen.

What's YOUR problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, rd2rk said:

You've got the BIG KNOB dimed. Just zero it, no setting to lose!

FYI there's a bug if you have 2 PC and use L6 Link.  Turning down the "center" PC volume to 0 can cause it to stop sending any signal to the second PC when you turn the volume back up.