Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Iv 75

RNRage

Bought my nephews Spider IV 75 today when I returned my DT25 Head to GC. I must say that after about 5 hours messing around with it.. It's absolutely fantastic. I bought the FBV Shortboard MkII as well. Connected the Shortboard to the computer.. Fired everything up.. Then connected the Shortboard to the amp and did the updates.. Opened the editor.. And started tweaking away. It is much easier to get sounds that I like using the computer editor.. In similar fashion to the HD500x. I got 4 outstanding cleans, 4 mid gain (edge of breakup), and 4 heavy gain sounds dialed in and saved for him. I'm hoping to have everything dialed in and ready for him by his birthday in May, which shouldn't be an issue at all.. I'll have more trouble trying to not keep it for myself. This thing is such a damn good little practice amp! I might just get one for the bedroom. Maybe I'll even (gasp) gig with it, if all goes well on Saturday when I take this thing out for a test drive. ;) I know I'd definitely use it for practicing purposes.

Any who.. My experience with this amp is a very positive one. Way to go Line 6!

PS: The HD500x doesn't sound too shabby through it. Connected via MP3 input from the 500x's output. I was surprised.

Sent from my iPad.

Any who.. My experience with this amp is a very positive one. Way to go Line 6!

PS: The HD500x doesn't sound too shabby through it. Connected via MP3 input from the 500x's output. I was surprised.

Sent from my iPad.

Thats interesting...I guess the MP3 input is sort of like an fx return. Wouldn't have occurred to me to try that.

I'm not surprised that you had a good experience with it as I've been using the Spider Jam for quite some time now and have been very satisfied with it. As for the Mp3 input it does it's job very good (size of the jack doesn't matter). Also I've gifted a Spider III to my nephew when they came out and it still works and looks great but hasn't been gigged with. Hope you and nephew enjoy it for a long time.

My nephew will love it, I'm sure of that. My brother doesn't play guitar and can't remotely come close with playing anything.. My nephew and I have been very close because of music.. I'm glad I have someone of youth to bond with, with it.. Someone to pass gear down to. Someone to teach and help.. And be able to watch them progress for a long time. I spoil the kid, lol. I bought him 2 guitars and an amp so far. And one of the guitars, I modded for Christmas this past year (MIM Strat). Between that and his Jackson that I upgraded pickups in for him.. He'll be set for a little while with guitars. The amp he's upgrading from is a Tech 21 Trademark 30.. Which he loves (for good reason). I told him that it is definitely a keeper amp. He has one of them Fender Champion 45's as well. His father got him that one.

Can't wait to give this to him.. I might not be able to wait till May. LOL

I'm not surprised that you had a good experience with it as I've been using the Spider Jam for quite some time now and have been very satisfied with it. As for the Mp3 input it does it's job very good (size of the jack doesn't matter). Also I've gifted a Spider III to my nephew when they came out and it still works and looks great but hasn't been gigged with. Hope you and nephew enjoy it for a long time.

I spent some time with the Spider. Took it to the bands practice last night. We ran through 2 full sets of material at our gigging volumes.. And the amp worked out in a rehearsal environment. Saturday will be the test. I found Blues tones to be easier to dial in at higher volume.. Actually using some of the green metal channels with the gain rolled way back. I actually found that being limited on effects has made life easier.. I have 2 clean and 2 dirt channels set up.. Generally with moderate chorus on for both clean channels and a very sleight chorus on dirt to fatten up the tone a little. Little bit of reverb on everything.. Delay is generally reserved for solos.. And I have a tube screamer set up on my dirt channels for a little more oomph.. And a compressor on my clean channels. Very basic. Very simple. It cut through the mix at rehearsal. We usually record everything through a handful of MICs placed throughout the room and you were able to hear my guitar just fine.

Sent from my iPad.

I spent some time with the Spider. Took it to the bands practice last night. We ran through 2 full sets of material at our gigging volumes.. And the amp worked out in a rehearsal environment. Saturday will be the test. I found Blues tones to be easier to dial in at higher volume.. Actually using some of the green metal channels with the gain rolled way back. I actually found that being limited on effects has made life easier.. I have 2 clean and 2 dirt channels set up.. Generally with moderate chorus on for both clean channels and a very sleight chorus on dirt to fatten up the tone a little. Little bit of reverb on everything.. Delay is generally reserved for solos.. And I have a tube screamer set up on my dirt channels for a little more oomph.. And a compressor on my clean channels. Very basic. Very simple. It cut through the mix at rehearsal. We usually record everything through a handful of MICs placed throughout the room and you were able to hear my guitar just fine.

Sent from my iPad.

There's something to be said for simplicity...but I've really started to enjoy messing with all the deep edit parameters on the 500x...sag, bias, etc. Amps are like tattoos...you're never gonna have just one, lol.