Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv59 With Hd500 - Patch Problems

Hi guys,

I've just received my jtv59 and I'm a little underwhelmed by it, so I'm hoping someone can help.

A few days ago I developed the perfect hi gain patch on the hd500, used it live, DI'd into pa using my schecter tempest hellraiser with emgs. The tone cut through the mix and sounded amazing.

I was very excited to get the jtv59 hooked up and start jamming, however, when I plugged it in my tone suddenly sounded thin, brittle and uncomfortably sharp, not a patch on the tone I had created and used live the day previous.

Can anyone help with this as I would like to have the tone I created and use it with the variax, but at the moment this seems impossible. Are there settings that I'm forgetting about? Or do I have to create a new patch altogether?

The two key factors contributing to your killer tone are the POD preset and your guitar. The JTV does not directly model your schecter guitar so I would expect the tone to be different when you switch to the JTV. You will have to do at least one of, and perhaps both of, the following to recreate your killer tone:

- tweak your POD preset to accounts for the fact that it is receiving a different input signal

- use Workbench HD to create a custom JTV model that comes as close as possible to producing the signal the your schecter produces.

Hi guys,

I've just received my jtv59 and I'm a little underwhelmed by it, so I'm hoping someone can help.

A few days ago I developed the perfect hi gain patch on the hd500, used it live, DI'd into pa using my schecter tempest hellraiser with emgs. The tone cut through the mix and sounded amazing.

I was very excited to get the jtv59 hooked up and start jamming, however, when I plugged it in my tone suddenly sounded thin, brittle and uncomfortably sharp, not a patch on the tone I had created and used live the day previous.

Can anyone help with this as I would like to have the tone I created and use it with the variax, but at the moment this seems impossible. Are there settings that I'm forgetting about? Or do I have to create a new patch altogether?

You're likely to need to tweak things anytime you change guitars. Even if you had just switched between two traditional guitars with mag pickups, they're never gonna sound identical. And the JTV with it's piezo pickups is an entirely different universe. You'll probably find that you'll need to fiddle with the individual guitar models in Workbench as well...almost everyone does eventually.

Also try swapping out the VDI Ethercon cable for a 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

I find the JTV-59 +HD500 combo sounds better (to my ears) with better dynamic range and better tone using the 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

• Upvote 1

My point is that using the  VDI Ethercon connection sounds a bit "sterile" to my ears - I find the JTV-59 +HD500 combo sounds better (to my ears) with better dynamic range and better tone using the 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

My point is that using the  VDI Ethercon connection sounds a bit "sterile" to my ears - I find the JTV-59 +HD500 combo sounds better (to my ears) with better dynamic range and better tone using the 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

I haven't done much of an A/B comparison, but even if it does sound better, I'd hate to lose the ability to change models on the jtv and the HD simultaneously...and I really hate batteries. I'm afraid to even give it much of a try now...lol

Using the VDI, u get only one A/D convertion, taking place at the JTV piezo section.

After that point, the signal all the way to the HD output remains digital.

Using the 1/4" NGC (normal guitar cable), you add two more conversions:

1) In the JTV output jack (D/A)

2) In the HD input jack (A/D)

This explains the (slight) sound diff, but is surely imposes further signal deterioration.

May be this is the reason  u (think? u) hear better dynamic range and better tone, :)

Check out this one (diagram @14:07):

Also try swapping out the VDI Ethercon cable for a 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

I find the JTV-59 +HD500 combo sounds better (to my ears) with better dynamic range and better tone using the 1/4" Normal Guitar cable.

When I first hooked my JTV59 to my 500X I definitely thought it sounded better with a normal guitar cable than the VDI too. Being a complete novice at this I put it down to not having the pod set up properly for the Variax.

I've got used to it now with the VDI, I'll have to try it again with a normal cable and see how it sounds.

I believe there's another differentiating factor besides the A/D and D/A conversions. In the POD HD, as I understand it, the Input-Z parameter applies only to the Guitar (analog) input; it does not apply to the VDI input.

I'm not 100% sure about this.

• Upvote 1

Using the VDI, u get only one A/D convertion, taking place at the JTV piezo section.

I should point out I use the mag PU's 85% of the time  - since I still consider all DSP Guitar modelers to deliver lower performance for my playing technique  

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9291.0

I like the GFS Rectotron Liverpools - as these deliver similar tone as my 6120 Gretsch with  TV Jones Filtertrons.

20130523_022424_zpsff90e2d6.jpg

- lots of Palm Muting here - so using a 1/4" connection avoids the Internal JTV Variax A/D>AES/EBU encoding > VDI> AES/EBU decoding.

I believe there's another differentiating factor besides the A/D and D/A conversions. In the POD HD, as I understand it, the Input-Z parameter applies only to the Guitar (analog) input; it does not apply to the VDI input.

CORRECT!!

By using the 1/4" Input on the HD500, in this manner i can actually use the HD500's programmable 1/4" input Impedance choices - for old school Tube Amp performance characteristics simply working my normal passive PU Vol/Tone pots when the JTV-59 in in Mag PU Output mode.